2018 HOT Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by spykemanne, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Seems like that job is going to be open pretty soon. From what I’m hearing the administration are distancing themselves from the head coach. If he makes it to preseason I don’t see him making it past the fall season.

2. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, and I tell it to the players I coach as well. The kids there and kids that have signed for next year are not getting what they deserve. They have a coach who lives in Raleigh driving there twice a week to run training sessions this spring. The situation with the HC is what it is as unfortunate as it may be, and the University has its hands tied until the investigation is finished. The asst, who is an alum to abandon the program and the players because running the spring season (where results do not matter) is too stressful for her is disappointing. I am going to look out for the players that I have there and are going there. Wouldn't you have concerns if your kid was there or going there?

olelaliga and PoetryInMotion repped this.
  3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #29 cpthomas, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    That leaves these openings:

ArkansasPineBluff
    GeorgeWashington
    MontanaU
    PrairieViewA&M
    UTSA

GW just has made its interim AD, Tanya Vogel, its actual AD. She was a soccer player at GW.

Montana has published its 2018 schedule, yet still has no identified head coach.

UTSA, no info I can find, but maybe they'll hire the interim head coach.

And of course UAPB and Prairie View are SWAC teams, so ....

4. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the Idaho situation gets better. I went to school in their conference. Sorry to hear talk about Idaho cutting woso.

5. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  6. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now UNC Asheville gets added to the "open" list.

7. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I thought GW were going to get a power 5 assistant or a mid major coach with some decent success who wanted to live in a more desirable area but obviously not. I don’t think this is a good or bad hire almost kind of blah.

8. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #34 Holmes12, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    whispers, what P5 is a less desirable area? I guess I could see a young, single person who'd use the nightlife, singles scene as a career transition but there aren't many of those who've had P5 success. Otherwise, somebody with no children in the cards....

9. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I find it strange that both her bio on UNC Asheville website and the GW release do not talk about what she did while at UNC Asheville. I looked it up and she had 2 winning seasons in 8 years and overall record of 51-86-6, seems odd to me as I thought GW was a much better job than UNC Asheville and they would want someone who has proven success. Looks to have had a fantastic playing career.

PoetryInMotion repped this.
  10. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at the numbers, Collegewhispers seems to have expressed a reasonable opinion. I think just looking at her win-loss-tie record at UNC Asheville has shortcomings, as it doesn't look at what she inherited or at any changes in strength of schedule. Here's what I think is some better information, merely to show a more complete way to do an evaluation:

UNC Asheville history beginning with 2007:

Record/Strength of Schedule (using NCAA formula, which has defects but is adequate for this purpose):

2007: 4-14-0 record/ 0.3451 strength of schedule
    2008: 5-13-1/0.3641
    2009: 5-10-1/0.3272
    2010: 1-16-0/0.3171 (Demko's first year, but I'm going to attribute it to her predecessors, not to her, which seems fair to me)
    2011: 4-15-1/0.3392
    2012: 5-14-0/0.3494
    2013: 6-11-2/0.3375
    2014: 10-9-1/0.3092
    2015: 11-9-0/0.3114
    2016: 8-12-0/0.3054
    2017: 6-10-2/0.3385

For the three years that preceded Demko and her first year (which I've attributed to her predecessors), the average record/SoS is 0.2286/0.3384. For the seven years I believe are attributable (though not entirely for the first couple of years) to her, it's 0.3897/0.3292.

Thus, compared to the situation she came into, she improved UNC Asheville's winning percentage, I think fairly significantly, but she did it against somewhat weaker opponents.

Fitballer repped this.
  11. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Looking at the GW hire on paper I would have to agree. Not much of a splash and thought they could have done better. Not much to speak of from UNC Asheville in 8 years. GW is or at least could be one of the better mid major jobs in the country especially after the job Sarah Barnes did there. I have been critical of female hires here in he past when it hasn't been necessarily deserved but in the case of GW they did speak to at least two male mid major head coaches and one male assistant so I don't think that is the case here. Perhaps they offered it to 1-2 people and it was shot down and this was the next best option? Regardless I would have to think other A10 coaches are happy with this hire.

12. RtD!

RtD! Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Met with MD on recruiting visit with my D. Not impressed.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  13. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017
    How so?

14. USsoccerguy

USsoccerguy Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. soccer1212

soccer1212 Member

Jan 17, 2017
    According to the Western Michigan athletic website under women's soccer coaches they named the assistant as the interim head. Will he get the job?

16. USsoccerguy

USsoccerguy Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice kid, but not ready for a head job. I'm assuming only interim. But who knows for sure at WMU...

17. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Apparently the finalists for Montana are:

Missouri Associate Head Coach
    North Dakota head coach
    UC Davis assistant coach

18. Otown Soccer

Otown Soccer Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Shocking to me if true, Chris Logan just left UNI to be "closer to wife's family in ND" last year! He now wants to leave again? If I was UND there would be a serious conversation to be had with him.

19. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

North Dakota is a terrible job though can’t blame the guy for wanting to go to a better program.

20. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    debatable

21. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    How so? Have I missed anyone? It is my understanding these are the 3 candidates.

22. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Former Trinity (TX) HC and Texas AC Lance Key has been involved in the interview process at UTSA, unsure of other candidates.

23. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Would be a great hire. Hope he gets back in to the game.

24. royturner

royturner Member

Jan 3, 2012
    agree....