2018 game feeds/TV/media

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by luvdagame, Feb 12, 2018.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Follow-up from the replies to that tweet:
    NWSL games will show on the NWSL website and the NWSL app. NWSL knew about Verizon's intention to shut down go90, but the move to ESPNews was apparently an independent development.

CoachJon repped this.
  2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    While they're shutting down Go90 as a service and dropping it's non-live programming, it sounds like Verizon will be keeping their other live sports content (NFL and NBA games) and moving it to another platform, apparently they just didn't feel keeping the NWSL was worth it.

I guess I won't be able to watch any games other than the televised games now, since watching games on the NWSL website doesn't work for me anymore...

3. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless the app can be synced with a Chromecast, I'm SOL on the non-TV games.

4. William49

William49 Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Chicagoland
    It doesn't work for anybody. They turned the streaming feature off on the NWSL site and routed the game links straight to go90. If I'm understanding this correctly, they'll be bringing the streaming back to the NWSL site when go90 becomes gone90.

Unless you have another unrelated issue...fingers crossed that you don't...you should be good to go for future games.

5. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    The only way I can watch games is to go manually to go90.com and navigate through there. I don't see any links from the NWSL site that link directly to the individual game videos on go90.com (and go90.com only lists the last few weeks, so now it's impossible to watch any games that are older than that).

I also thought international users were still supposed to be able to watch on the NWSL website. But it doesn't work for me with the various VPNs I've tried (I was trying this as a test to see if it just wasn't showing the videos for me on the NWSL site since I'm in the US). And if I go to the Go90 site to try to watch while connected to a VPN, it tells me "go90™ Mobile TV Network is only available in the US right now." So what are international users doing?

(Ideally, they'd just switch back to Youtube. That platform worked for everyone.)

6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    International users watch from the NWSL website, or at least, I've been overseas this summer and have had no issue in watching from the NWSL website. The match videos are not under "videos" on the website. Instead, you can click on a game (either live or past game once they're posted; click on them from either the banner at the top or the full schedule page), and then on the match "recap" page the match video will pop up at the top of the page.

CoachJon and holden repped this.
  7. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Thanks for confirming that's where the videos still are. I figured out I have to disable my ad blocker now in order to see the videos (I didn't used to have to do that).

8. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    how do i get to the game videos on nwsl.com without seeing the silly scores.

i don't want to see the scores! spoils watching the game.

FanOfFutbol repped this.
  9. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1038121398579994631 is not a valid tweet id

SiberianThunderT and kernel_thai repped this.
  10. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    A complication for the NC/Chicago playoff game on Sunday, September 16.

Hurricane Florence is heading straight for Raleigh -- and will get there about Friday. So, it will probably have done its damage and moved on by Sunday -- but how much damage? It's projected to be a major hurricane.

blissett repped this.
  11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Florence just got upgraded to a Category 4 and isn't changing course right now. Even if Florence has moved on by Sunday, the area could still be out of power. And what about getting Chicago into town? Teams usually come in the day or two before, but you shouldn't fly a team into a hurricane zone. If you postpone the game, it means the winner has less rest before the championship. Should they start looking at neutral locations, or just plan on postponing?

12. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    did i hear amanda duffy at half time correctly? they're moving digital media to yahoo sports?

what does that mean? how is it better than what we have now?

13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My interpretation: non-Lifetime matches will be streamed on Yahoo! Sports, like Go90 did earlier in the season. I don't think I've ever streamed anything on Yahoo! Sports, so I have no idea on what the quality will be like. But I'm cautiously optimistic.

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    copied from the Yahoo Help Page concerning Yahoo streaming NFL games

Watch NFL Live on Yahoo Sports on Your Smartphone or Tablet

Watch live local and primetime games on your smartphone or tablet. You’ll just need to make sure your location services are enabled before tuning in.

How can I watch?
    NFL Live on Yahoo Sports is available on:

• Yahoo Sports app for Android or iOS
      - For the best screen reader experience, assistive technology users should download and use either the iOS or Android Yahoo Sports app.
    • Yahoo Sports and Yahoo.com mobile web for iOS (Safari only)
    • Tumblr app
    • AOL app
    • AOL.com mobile web for iOS (Safari only)
    Pixel and Pixel XL are not supported devices.

To get the Spanish language feed switch your device language to Spanish.

Also, please note that the apps listed above feature Nielsen's proprietary measurement software which allows you to contribute to market research, like Nielsen's TV Ratings. Please see www.nielsen.com/digitalprivacy for more info. You may also visit 'Settings' in the app to opt out of Nielsen measurement.

What games are available to stream?
    Why can’t I watch out-of-market games?
    How do I resolve problems with the stream?
    Can I watch on desktop, Pixel, Pixel XL, or Connected TV?

NFL Live On Yahoo Sports is only available on mobile devices such as a smartphone or tablet.

These platforms aren't supported:
    • Screencasting and Connected TV
    • The Pixel and Pixel XL
    • Desktop web browsers

So, thanks a bunch Amanda.

15. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #40 holden, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    In case people aren't aware: Verizon was the parent company of Go90. Verizon is the parent company of Yahoo. So it would seem that the contract with Verizon is still intact and Verizon is just shifting the streaming platform for NWSL games to Yahoo much like it did it's other sports properties like the NFL.

As for the viewing restrictions with NFL games, that is due to the contract they have with the NFL being specifically for streaming broadcasted games (on traditional TV channels like ESPN, CBS, Fox, and NBC) to mobile devices. I doubt that requirement will be enforced for NWSL games. If you all remember, Go90 was initially only available to watch on phones/tablets as well. It was only after NWSL games started being shown that they added viewing from a web browser. I expect they'll do the same here too. (I certainly hope they at least allow casting or all the people that bought Chromecasts so they could watch Go90 games on their TV are gonna be pretty upset)

16. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :mad::mad:

I hope this is different for NWSL streaming!

17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't have mobile devices. And I detest the very idea of watching soccer on little screens.

I guess my way of living it's just outdated and I am doomed. I won't buy a mobile device because of that: I am just going to proudly sink with my vessel.

18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to guess that overseas viewers will still be able to watch on the NWSL website.

blissett repped this.
  19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    While we're watching soccer next season u can redecorate the cave.

20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I will do: I like my cave, full of nice raw rocks.

21. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What makes a "rock" raw as opposed to cooked?
    Actually for my cave I have it almost perfect except my dog really sucks at getting me a beer. I have everything optimized where I never have to move more than minimally except for the beer. For that I actually have to get up and walk to the kitchen and back. :(:rolleyes:

blissett repped this.
  22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, you're anyway lucky to have a dog: only dinosaurs around, where I live, near Bedrock.

23. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I haven't seen any mention of the details of the Yahoo Sports streams, so I went looking on the NWSL to see if there was any new info and found this:
    So it looks like we will be able to watch in web browsers and it will be on a limited number of TV connected devices (pity no Android TV though). Sadly no mention of whether the phone apps will allow casting or not.

24. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Oh, I just noticed this is titled 2018. I guess maybe there should be a 2019 thread?

But anyways, I checked out the Yahoo app on a Roku (note it's just "Yahoo" not "Yahoo Sports"), and the NWSL games are listed!
    [​IMG]

Blaze20 repped this.
  25. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    did I miss it?

where do we watch replays?

i don't see any replays of their previously steamed games available on yahoo sports.