2018 game feeds/TV/media

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by luvdagame, Feb 12, 2018.

1. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    just wondering if the deal with go90 persists.

couldn't find any 2017 nwsl archives there this morning. am I not searching correctly?

(hoping myself that they turn to YouTube.. too many problems with go90 last year.)

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The go90 broadcasts weren't great, but I've watched other leagues on go90 with no problems, so I think the problem with NWSL broadcasts are somewhere a bit further up the production pipeline than with the go90app itself...

I thought use of go90 is part of the three-year A+E deal, so I would have bet that it would be persisting.

The lack of any NWSL presence on the app currently is an interesting development, though... IIRC they had extra videos and such last year on top of game broadcasts, and those don't seem to be there any more either.

3. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    ...should have said REturn to youtube.

4. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the same negative result on Go90. In fact I cannot find any 2017 full games(except playoffs). I looked on NWSLsoccer.com, YouTube, and Go90.

5. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2018/02/13/real-salt-lake-sells-local-streaming-rights-to-ksl/

RSL purchased the local streaming rights to their games from MLS as a number of MLS teams are doing this season. They then gave the rights to a local TV station which has been broadcasting nearly all of the RSL games over the air. KSL is the NBC branch in Salt Lake City. KSL will be putting the games on the air in the RSL TV Market area for free on their website and App.

In the article it also says that Utah Royals games (Along with the Monarchs (USL Team) and the Acadamy games) will be televised this way. So most Royals games should be easily accessible to people living in the Salt Lake, Boise, Reno, Las Vegas and Phoenix markets. RSL is limited to only this area, I am not sure how the actual market area will be for Utah Royals games as I am not sure how the NWSL TV contracts are.

Ismitje repped this.
  6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    When the deal was signed the league called it "multiyear partnership" so I guess they're back https://www.nwslsoccer.com/news/art...ively-stream-98-nwsl-games-in-the-u-s-in-2017

7. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Good for her...

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The Lifetime and go90 logos aren't rendering/loading for me at the moment on the NWSL schedule page, but thankfully the Equalizer has compiled all of the announced Lifetime games, all broadcasting at 3:30pm ET with kickoff at 3:50:
    http://equalizersoccer.com/2018/02/21/nwsl-announces-complete-2018-schedule/

The two southernmost teams, Houston and Orlando, host the Lifetime game a grand total of 4 times between them, without Houston's lone Lifetime game in April. That schedule slot is really short-changing them. Sky Blue also only hosts once, and Chicago only hosts twice despite playing in Toyota Park.

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    There was talk of moving the Lifetime match to a more summer friendly time of day. Guess that fell thru. Clever scheduling would try and find Houston & Orlando home matches in March, April & September

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #10 SiberianThunderT, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Okay, talking points time:
    20 broadcasts / 9 teams = roughly 2 hosting games and roughly 2 away games, with 4-5 total games

Seattle, Sky Blue, and Houston host a grand total of twice between them. Yes, Seattle gets ZERO hosting games, less than Sky Blue. Also, Houston only getting one makes some sense considering the time slot but less sense considering the stadium's organizations capabilities. On the other end of the spectrum, Utah hosts five times. Yes, more than Portland or Orlando, which have three each.

And hooooo boy, those away teams! No Sky Blue, and Houston just once along with Utah (at least Utah got to host a lot). On the other end, Chicago is the away team SIX times, including all three final broadcasts of the regular season. I guess they're really banking on Chicago being in the playoff mix.

In total: NJ-1, HOU-2, SEA-3, DC-3, NC-4, POR-5, UTH-6, ORL-8, CHI-8
    If you say 3-6 is a good range, NJ and HOU got shafted while ORL and CHI are overfavored.

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

An interesting development... As long as it's not ESPN+, should be a good upgrade.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    My opinion is that things just seem to happen out of the blue in the NWSL. Kind of tough for people who have one channel but not the other to suddenly lose access to games without an alternative being provided. As to me I have ESPNNews but not Lifetime so things just got easier.

CoachJon repped this.
  14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Seems like a good move to me, especially if it's a step toward having more on ESPN's networks in the future.

cpthomas repped this.
  15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    What's carriage for News versus Lifetime?

16. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    LOL, Orlando is featured on TV for 5 straight matches. #AlexMorganSummer
    Portland is featured in each of the last 3 TV matches of the regular season.
    Pretty much every match the rest of the way is either Orlando or Portland.

Sky Blue had a game that was supposed to be on TV (July 7 vs. Chicago).
    That game was removed. Replaced by Alex Morgan vs. Rose Lavelle.

[​IMG]

17. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    NWSL schedule changes
    Games now on ESPNews

June 16: Chicago Red Stars vs. Orlando Pride (8 p.m.)
    June 23: Washington Spirit vs. Orlando Pride (7 p.m.)
    July 7: Orlando Pride vs. Washington Spirit (7 p.m.; Lifetime game had been Sky Blue FC vs. Chicago Red Stars)
    July 14: Utah Royals vs. Orlando Pride (7 p.m.)
    August 18: Portland Thorns vs. Chicago Red Stars (10:30 p.m.)
    August 25: Washington Spirit vs. Portland Thorns (7:30 p.m.; Lifetime game had been Orlando vs. Chicago)

Lifetime schedule change (Friday Night game on Sept. 7, on Lifetime)

Sept. 7: Portland Thorns vs. Seattle Reign (game was Utah vs Chicago on Sept. 8)

18. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston and NJ nowhere to be seen.

19. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Not sure how it is for other providers, but with my current Spectrum plan, I get Lifetime, ESPN, and ESPN2, but not ESPNews. The tier with ESPNews costs an additional $12/month. So hopefully they put the replay of the game somewhere I can watch it...

sitruc repped this.
  20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That stinks. I hope you can find it, although to be honest it wasn't one of the best Red Stars v Thorns games. Interesting, but not great, with both team suffering from missing players.

21. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Fortunately, I was able to watch the archive in the WatchESPN app. :thumbsup:

22. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe Press gets to go to Utah?

And Huerta may also want to go to Utah -- near her home in Idaho. I'm not surprised Huerta is leaving Chicago. Dames dissed her earlier this year and he can't decide where he wants her to play on the field. She'll find greener fields elsewhere.

Houston would probably also like to get Huerta -- but the Houston team is working pretty well right now and trading one or more of its bigger pieces to Chicago might not work.

What's taking so long to announce this trade? It's probably going to be a very complicated trade.

23. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have Spectrum, and might have a weird gltch that works in my favor. :ninja: My TV plan does not have FS1 or any of the ESPNs. However, I can use the Spectrum App on my Ipad to get FS1, and the ESPNs. The Watch ESPN App, FoxSoccer, and Fox Sports Apps do not work because my TV plan does not have those stations.

holden repped this.
  24. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Thanks for the tip. I didn't even think of looking in the Spectrum App. But lo and behold, it has ESPNews (and ESPN Classic) for me too! No ESPN U or FS2, however.

CoachJon repped this.
  25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders