2018 Friendlies

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by EPJr, Dec 7, 2017.

1. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    February 2018

2. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Individual tickets go on sale 1/31. Don't know how they can claim that Dempsey, et. al. will play, but maybe there's been the promise.

4. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very cool. I'd imagine we'll get a few Sounders fans making the trip down just to visit a Republic match.

With how much turnover we're having this season, will be interesting to see the team that's put together in a couple of weeks

5. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well this game is the last game before Seattle's CCL game 7 days later. So I'm sure the thought is to play at full strength to shake the rust for the first team.

6. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes sense and may very well be right. I'm just concerned that, given the recent damage to ownership's reputation, that to say Seattle's star players "will look to...play significant minutes in the friendly" is creating a certain expectation upon which no one on the Sacramento side has any influence.

7. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Small crowd last night. No Dempsey although most of the guys that Seattle started (including Morris, Marshall, Lodeiro) went the full 90. Some observations...

Partain played RB and showed well.
    Villareal looked pretty good distributing from the center of the pitch, connecting well with Bijev.
    Turnley is no Kiffe offensively but I think he's probably solid defensively.
    Taintor had a couple of horrendous turnovers.
    Kneeshaw on the right wing? Meh.
    Eissele credited with our goal but it was clearly an own-goal by Seattle.
    I think we'll put pretty good pressure on the goal this season. We'll see about finishing.

It was odd that a vast majority of the 2nd half subs were academy players - not a single trialist. Cohen played the full 90, Aleman, Espino and Gomez were 2nd half subs. The other seven were academy kids, including Hategan. The kids hung in there and kept the match pretty competitive.

9. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too many new faces to assess everyone for me.. I wasn't particularly impressed with anyone and players like Bijev looked awfully rusty...

That's totally on Simon Elliot.

10. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, there were signs of rustiness throughout the game. The mis-timed passes and crossups on defensive coverage will work themselves out as they get time together (i hope).

I thought we showed more speed than last years team, although its hard to tell - i just assumed that Seattle is probaby faster than most usl teams we typically play.

There seemed to be more emphasis on pushing balls through the center. Several runs cutting into the box were initiated when last year, it would be pushed wide and crossed.

The academy players getting time is odd, but I have a hypothesis...... Coach Elliot knows the academy is in a fight for area talent with other MLS affiliated clubs. What better marketing is there than to showcase SRFC's wilingness to play academy players and give them opportunities? I dunno, if it were me, id want to see what the trialists could do, but maybe he is playing the longterm bet?

PS - those kids did bring a ton of energy into the game, though!

11. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good crowd for the LAFC game, and great weather, too. LAFC supporter group also in attendance. There were about 50, I'm guessing.

LAFC looks pretty good. That could have easily been a 4-0 result. A lot of shots were just wide, and Cohen looked pretty stout in goal. Republic looked a little more cohesive this week, but opportunities inside the 18 were few and far between. LA played mostly starters for about 75 minutes. We began subbing in our few healthy, senior roster reserves and the academy kids beginning about 60' in.

Rodriguez came on in the 2nd half - good to see him out there again. Hope we see more of our senior roster play '90 vs. Fresno and Cincy.

QuietType repped this.
  13. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LAFC game was fun, but felt like a dressed down match, with warm up kits and Elliot putting out basically all academy players for the last half hour... was cool to see Bob Bradley here and there were a TON of LAFC traveling fans. I think they’re going to be quite successful in LA and challenge the Galaxy.

Cohen looked really good and made a lot of saves, thanks to our crappy back line.. Need to see full games so deserving judgement on the rest of the newbs.

mangerson repped this.
  14. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    mangerson repped this.