2018 FIFA World Cup thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That, for me, is the key point.

Whether you win a game or not is another matter. But at least make it look like you can play the game relatively competently.

The only bit where we didn't look like that was the 12 min after the colombian goal where we looked shell-shocked. I can remember almost entire GAMES like that on occasion.

2. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Your future actually looks very bright with the talent you have coming up in hughes, winks , roberts, grealish, loftus cheek, madison , lewis cook, mount , foden , odoi. ampuada, trent arnold , barkley , abraham . rashford. tunzabe, sancho , willock , nelson , sancho and foden etc.

I don't know are you aware of this but we have stolen one of your best players Declan Rice .

3. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes we've got good players coming through. So there was hope for the future but that didn't mean we would necessarily get through to a semi-final when they come through. We've not exactly been blessed with luck until now.

Not the first time you've "stolen" one of "our players". At least Declan is an Irish name so I doubt it took much rummaging around to find the link.

4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Ha, I was going to add that in also but then realised it was also written by an Englishman so really I guess that’s our fault :ROFLMAO:

5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Tbf I actually quite like The Irish Rover especially whilst getting drunk and drinking Guinness as it’s one of my favourite alcoholic beverages and off course all this in a decent Irish bar though.

6. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The first evidence of the Song the Wild Rover was documented in...................scotland

7. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    The Irish Rover is a different song.

8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Updates on the two main injury issues for the upcoming game -

burning247 repped this.
  9. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh boy! We can have a lot of joy against Corluka down the right side and can also press him as he's not comfortable on the ball.

10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    David Hurford repped this.
  11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hmmm... not sure about that.

12. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    I dont. At its best our system is designed to squeeze up high suffocating the opposition. The game vs sweden was a great example of executing this. There were many times sweden cleared a cross etc and it was immediatly picked up by stones or mcguire stepping in who were already in the sweden half. Swedens plan was to play deep and hit on the break but all they did was allow us to squeeze up and control the possesion.

13. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    #2463 lanman, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    A bit bored of all of this "easy route to the semi finals" malarkey that's going on, so have compared the Elo ratings (at the start of the tournament) for the opponents of all semi final teams since it went to the 32 team format.
    The penultimate figure is the average ranking of the teams faced in the first two knock out matches.
    The last figure is the average of the opponents in all three knock out matches prior to the final.

Code:

Brazil 1   Chile 22   Denmark 12   17   14
    Netherlands 8   Yugoslavia 6   Argentina 10   8   6
    France 4   Paraguay 29   Italy 6       18   17
    Croatia   15   Romania   13   Germany 2   8   6

Germany   12   Paraguay 36   USA 23       30   31
    South Korea 33   Italy 4       Spain 6       5   7
    Brazil 13   Belgium   17   England 7   12   17
    Turkey 28   Japan 15   Senegal 40   28   23

Germany   10   Sweden 12   Argentina 8   10   9
    Italy 7       Australia 23   Ukraine 26   25   20
    Portugal 9   Netherlands 2   England 3   3   3
    France 4   Spain 6       Brazil 1   4   5

Uruguay   14   South Korea 24   Ghana 41   33   23
    Netherlands 3   Slovakia 47   Brazil 2   25   21
    Germany   5   England   4   Argentina 7   6   4
    Spain 1       Portugal 11   Paraguay 25   18   14

Brazil 1   Chile 9       Colombia 8   9   7
    Germany   3   Algeria   54   France 11   33   22
    Netherlands 5   Mexico 21   Costa Rica 33   27   19
    Argentina 4   Switzerland 14   Belgium 15   15   11

France 7   Argentina 5   Uruguay 12   9   8
    Belgium   8   Japan 43   Brazil 1   22   17
    Croatia   17   Denmark   16   Russia 45   31   23
    England   7   Colombia 9   Sweden 20   15   15

By my reckoning, the following teams had an easier route to the semis (I haven't counted where a team plays one minnow and one top team):

Brazil 1998
    France 1998 (home team & winners)
    Germany 2002
    Turkey 2002
    Italy 2006 (winners)
    Uruguay 2010
    Spain 2010 (winners)
    Germany 2014 (winners)
    Netherlands 2014
    Croatia 2018

You could also claim that our potential route to the final is on a par with France 1998 and harder than Germany 2002, Brazil 2002 & Italy 2006.

Other than 2002 and Croatia this year, you don't really read much about how these other teams had it easy.

As an asside, Portugal's potential route to the final in 2006 couldn't have been more challenging. They faced the 2nd ranked, 3rd ranked and 4th ranked teams in successive rounds.

The Potter, W.A.S.P., thebigman and 2 others repped this.
  14. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Too add to the post, it feels like when one of the favourites gets an easy ride it's not news. When an outsider gets an easy ride it's called out as exactly that.

W.A.S.P., thebigman, lynesjc and 2 others repped this.
  15. Khadrim

Khadrim Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    The team Southgate has set out since the friendlies before the world cup has only ever played a midifeld that competed in the last 15 minutes against Colombia and the second half against Nigeria. We were second best in those situations. We never had the ball well enough to release Sterling or Lingard. We play virtually 3 - 1 - 6 against teams that sit back. And it is the right thing to do against those teams as has been shown during the world cup and the friendlies before it.

I also reckon Dalic will go defensive against us, so it may the right thing to do against Croatia. France/Belgium if Southgate doesn't change it we may get unstuck.

16. Wendigo7

Wendigo7 Member+

Bournemouth
    England
    Mar 31, 2015
    Poole
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Reckon we'll win on Wednesday. Teams good, moods good, we're in a good place.

Hard to really see where we'll get hurt... But, yeah, even so I can't put my finger on it but it just feels like we'll be in the final.

17. lynesjc

lynesjc Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jun 21, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Any team that features Lovren at CB can be got at.

18. Khadrim

Khadrim Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    I reckon how you perform when you meet a big team is what lasts in the memory. Turkey 2002 were no match for Brazil so I always had them as lucky to get there. France 1998 had a match against Italy that went to penalties, and my abiding memory was it being a struggle to watch. But it meant I thought they had earnt it in a way. Also the paraguay game was tense as well.

19. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    For a little while from 2012-2014 he kinda done over English teams, but since then he has a good track record.

20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just seem to have a vague memory of him handing out cards and fouls against us.

But, y'know... my memory, eh?! :D

21. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I remember him screwing us against Ukraine in the 2014 WC qualifyer at home. Took away a goal by Defoe and booked him after buying a fake hand to the face dive from a Ukrainian.

22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    #2472 BarryfromEastenders, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Probably from that Euro U21 final when he booked Agbonlahor, Fraizer Campbell (twice) and Joe Hart. Meaning no forwards and Scott Loach had to start the final against the Germans.

23. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I mean, I don't think England's been bad but neither have they really been great imo. I'm glad England's finally succeeding in a major tournament for once, but right now I want France, Belgium or Croatia to win rather than England.

Group relatively easy. Their hardest opponent was Belgium, but they'd already qualified at that point. Colombia without James and a penalty win for once where it'd been probably GO when colombian player hit the bar. Then Sweden. Croatia's next

It's not to sound condescending but I'd hate if England wins this tournament

24. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    big loss for them..
    I think we can exploit their defence on set pieces..

25. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    cheers for the "input" .
    lol

Comes into the forum and is a prick for no reason.
    classic bigsoccer and why I never bother reading other forums.

The Potter, thebigman, W.A.S.P. and 2 others repped this.