2018 FIFA World Cup thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's the absence of a certain country, I'm sure.

I've come to the conclusion there is hardly any modding in the main WC threads. Another long diversion in the Russia-Croatia thread allowed to go on and on.

Be warned, that place will light up like Christmas when England go out. If they do ;)

2. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    I really think so. We may not have as good individuals as 90, 96 or 66 but this lot seems tactically and game-smarts wise extremely learned. Our composure against Columbia was a master-class (mcguire's dive aside). I also just re-watched the sweden game. The reason it seemed rather straightforward was because we owned them tactically.

3. fyspysyn

fyspysyn New Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Hi

i have tickets to semifinal in Petersburg
    match 61
    Category 1
    price is less then fifa value
    pick up in moscow

4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Interesting piece.

Not sure about the 'incredible control' bit but I DO agree that he, Alli and Lingard are an effective unit and provide vital assistance for Kane as the main threat.

It goes back to one of England's main strengths, 'running power'.

David Hurford repped this.
  5. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017

Great example. But how about Harry Kane avoiding intense provocation and slotting a clutch penalty against Columbia in a WC. After waiting so long, being shouted at in his face, having them chop up the penalty spot, and generally being surrounded by disgusting anarchy. The focus it took to nail it was world-class.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ... and how would we accomplish the purchase? Would it involve bringing cash to an unknown address somewhere in Moscow?

Oh, OK! Yeah, we'll get right on that :)

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That was good too :)

8. fyspysyn

fyspysyn New Member

Jun 27, 2018
    How do you usually buy something? You give the money and receive the purchase.
    But England doesnt play in SPB.

9. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    My only criticism of england at this wc is that they brought f******g Boothroyd.

10. Khadrim

Khadrim Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Two criticisms. He was too selfish yesterday. He held onto the ball instead of passing to more open players.
    Also he moves around like a player in the number 10 role should do. I don't think this is exceptional.
    What is exceptional is his control and ability to hold off defenders.

For an example comparison he was running at the defence and wouldn't pass to the open player on the right. Eventually lost control but it lead to Kane taking a shot.
    Lingard same situation, quick pass to Trippier. Whipped in cross and a chance created.

I think Lingard has been England's most creative player after Trippier. When I look at what Sterling should be doing I compare it to Lingard and I think he is found wanting.

11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm just pointing out that, if someone wants to buy something from a new poster on this site, they might be better advised to meet somewhere there's other people around.

That's all!

I mean, we don't know anything about you, do we :)

12. Khadrim

Khadrim Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Before I get criticized for whining, I am ecstatic England are in the Semis and given the way Portugal won the euros don't care if we fluke our way to winning it.
    But we have been lucky in our opponents have all sat back against us. Tunisia, Panama and Sweden are ideal opponents for us. Pekerman much like he did against Germany 2006 went defensive and lost. Had he been more courageous I think Colombia would have overran our midfield.
    I don't like our system. And for a manager who harped on about flexibilty I have yet see it.
    Croatia's manager has also been defensive aginst perceived stronger opponents though he has a better counter attack.
    By the way the first 20 minutes yesterday was giving me Iceland flashbacks.

13. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I don't think teams that sit back are ideal opponents for us. We have constantly struggled against those types of teams. I don't think anybody has said Sterling has been exceptional but the reaction to his performances is way over the top in a negative direction. You could see in the Belgium game how isolated our forwards and midfield became without him. He's working very hard for the team and creating space for others.

I agree the system is bizarre. I'm not sure it truly even suits any of our midfield. But here we are in a semi-finals.

Also it was a tactic to not play the early cross because the staff thought Sweden were so good at clearing out those type of plays. So it was either pulled back for a different angle (Alli goal) or possession was maintained.

hussar, W.A.S.P. and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  14. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Its true you have been lucky . You have yet to play a team who can press your defenders and play through your midfield .

Southgate isn't one for changing tactics gaame to game . But i think he has to change tactics against Croatia .
    If you look how russia played against Croatia they sat back for the most part and hit them on the break . They frustrated Croatia to a large degree and never allowed them to really control the midfield . I think England will have to play the same way .

Pressing the high up the pitch and trying to blitz them will leave to much space at the back for modric and rakitic to exploit with there passing .

I think england will need another body in midfield Loftus Cheek to play along side henderson . Henderson won't be able to handle Modric and Rakitic on his own .
    If Southgate leaves Henderson on his own in midfield . Modric and Rakitic will get their passing game going and move find holes in your defense . England will most likely loose the match in 90 minutes if Henderson is left on his own in the midfield battle .

Do you think Southgate will change his tactics for this match?.

15. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You are right about Sterling people have called for him to be dropped but his movement up front has provided space for others to exploit . Its only his finishing that has let him down . He has been England's player of the tournament so far .

Do you think Southgate will put another body in midfield alongside Henderson? . Do you think Southgate can win this match playing the same team as he did against Sweden?.

16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The thing is, it's the same sort of people who will laud Pickford one day and then, if he drops a clanger in the Croatia game, will destroy him without missing a beat.

I mean, did you SEE that Neuer balls-up against the Mexicans where he almost dropped a run-of-the-mill shot straight at the CF's feet and had to scramble it away?

And who among us can forget that, very special, moment later in the same game where he thinks he's a better midfielder than Ozil, Kroos and the rest...

Sterling's contributing to the sides success and you win as a team and you lose as a team.

Once the hated media scum, (HMS ;)), get their teeth in, they won't let go I'm afraid. They'll only be happy when we're defeated.

W.A.S.P. and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  17. Paul Quack

Paul Quack Member

May 3, 2009
    Club:
    Northampton Town FC
    He is indeed a clown. Should have played Akinfenwa at Wembley in 2013 from the start. Played Clive Platt instead. We were 3-0 down after 20 minutes or so. I can't believe he manages the under 21 team.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    He might bring Delph in for Alli to sit next to Henderson. It’s possible we can win the match with the same team but Southgate did adapt to Sweden’s style and approach. He may do the same again. Defenders were very brave and dominated the aerial long ball threats. A lot gets turned into ‘well Sweden were rubbish anyway’ after games. They have been a pain for every team they have played though and offer specific threats. We stopped their counters and dominated most the game. It was a different way of playing to our approach against Colombia. Not saying it was perfect or exceptional but you do the job and move on.

19. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think he needs to drop Ali for Rashford . You need to target Loveren . Rashford could tear Loveren apart . Didnt Rashford play on the wing against Nigeria and he tore their full back apart.

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    From what I know of Southgate he will use Rashford and RLC later in the second half and attempt to get at tiring players. RLC by dribbling from deep or in front of the opponents defence. Rashford in wider areas or trying to make runs behind their defence.

I could be wrong but the only changes I can foresee are Delph for Alli and possibly Rose for Young.

21. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    This will happen if we are chasing the game but there wont be any changes from the start. If he hasnt changed yet he wont now. Am actually quite excited to see alli and lingard run off the back of modric and rakatic. Theyre good professionals but not exactly known for being geniuses on the defensive side of the ball. Croatia have also been conceeding (as well as scoring) so it should be an open game. Russias tactical system is similar to ours and weve always struggled against that (e.g. nigeria friendly) so that could have been a dour slugfest.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  22. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Do you think England will sit back against Croatia and hit them on the break like Russia did?.

23. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lol that's literally what I've been comparing them to (in my head).

24. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I meant since 1966.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  25. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So you saw England in 66 . Could you tell us how good Bobby Charlton was?. I have seen clips of him on youtube and my god he looks good . He was completely two footed , pace , goes past players for fun , passing , vision, football brain, perfect first touch and one of the best long range strikers of the ball . He looks like a cross between gazza and scholes . A very underated player . One of our own John Giles rates Charlton as the best player he ever played against and this is a man who played against cryuff, best, beckenbauer and pele.

I have heard Beckenbauer and Pele were in awe of him too.