2018 FIFA World Cup thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    ^^ best post ITT

Shouldn't he throw his legs in the air?

[​IMG]

2. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i bet you drink soy dotcha:)

placidcasualdan repped this.
  3. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ian Wright’s celebration was tremendous. That Arsenal legend conflicts me so much

4. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm alive...I think.

Screamed myself hoarse.

Delle and Sterling don't need to start vs Sweden but I fear they will.

Needed to pull both for attacking options by minute 75 but Southgate is stubborn (like his predecessors).

Colombia were a miserable bunch and the MLS ref was horrid. I was sick when they got the equalizer because they barely got in our box all match.

Lot's to tweak and dissect but f uck it, WE WON A SHOOTOUT!!!!!

Damn, that felt good. Let's do it again Saturday (with less drama)!

placidcasualdan, W.A.S.P. and sinner78 repped this.
  5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Yojimbo, W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    1014169507311575042 is not a valid tweet id

7. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    southgate handled the game badly when we were 1-0 up and down the stretch..
    made the wrong subs and let them back in , just as Woy did in the Euro's .

sharpovic repped this.
  8. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've never heard my gf scream so loud it doesnt bode well for the relationship I guess but I'll take it.

9. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That is brilliant.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  10. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Penalty shootouts are too interesting not to watch. I think I understand why others can't bare to watch, but not entirely. To each his own.

11. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My family is hosting our annual 4th of July BBQ tonight. Like always I wear a patriotic shirt, but I'll be wearing my Union Jack tank-top under my American Eagle t-shirt... So damn happy right now.

IGSpur and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  12. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Also Glenn Hoddle with "love train" what a term.

13. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Sounds like it is possible that Vardy was supposed to take the final penalty but had a groin issue.

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They were piling men forward as they got more and more desperate as the game went on but, yeah... the real problem was that we didn't score more than the one goal because Lingard, Alli and Sterling did very little. At least one of them needed dragging off after, say, an hour.

Not sure I'd change much else, tbh.

Let's not forget we were probably a minute from winning it in extra time. After they scored we looked pretty bloody ugly for the next 15 mins, though. Reminiscent of the way we used to play in tournies gone past.

15. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can Loftus Cheek come in and provide a bit of guile? I don't think Alli and Sterling can play in the same team in this set up, they kept getting in each other's way.

16. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    we have no creativity in midfield we have to bypass to the forwards and wingers

17. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

That didn't stop Liverpool getting to the Champions League Final

W.A.S.P. and lanman repped this.
  18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Usa1234 I think it was

19. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  20. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lmao have a read on the KO round board it’s hilarious, Columbians are complaining about the red!!! Lmao we could have had another penalty, they should’ve had a red and plenty more yellows for their dirty tactics.

It was disgusting play from them, the incident with Sterling above shows even more. What a classless thuggish side, it’s no wonder fans from Argentina and Brazil were cheering them on in this forum. Can’t wait for Belgium to KO Brazil now.

21. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That was a relief. So many times we have been knocked out of tournaments on penalty shoot outs. A lot of emotion came out finally winning one.

The Colombian coach barging into Sterling at half time epitomised their cheating. Especially the smirk after the fourth official had spoken to him. As did the attempt to wreck the penalty spot. Glad they're out. They would have been better off trying to play football throughout the match.

Colombia did defend very well. Sweden will do the same minus the cheating but I doubt they will be stupid enough to give away a penalty. We need to score from open play. Watching on TV you cannot see the full pitch and don't get a full understanding of why we failed to break Colombia down more often. Was it a lack of movement? Was it being outnumbered in the attacking third of the pitch? Was it the constant fouls possibly including some that were out of shot? Was it a simple lack of ability to pick a final ball? A combination of all? What we could clearly see was that Sterling kept dribbling into the first man rather than around him or passing. Dele is not fully fit and is ineffective. Just play Loftus-Cheek.

When we started diving a lot the ref sensed this and stopped giving any fouls except for the most obvious. It was a very tough game for him to ref. Should have booked more Colombians for screaming in his face though. Even if they were second yellows.

Has anyone scored as many penalties as Kane in one tournament?

Edit to add: Southgate said all the right things about Sweden in the post match interviews. Does he already have a plan to do something different against them or is it a case of the same again and stay focused?

The Potter repped this.
  22. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    We struggled to break them down as they had three defensive midfielders sat in front of the back four.

23. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    I thought Uribe's shot was on target. Turns out it was always going wide. Instead of a save Pickford needlessly conceded the corner from which Colombia scored the equalizer and forced the game into extra time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  24. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    In the next game I would bring in Rashford for Sterling , RLC for Alli..
    we cant carry Sterling if we want to go further. I think he would be better as a sub anyway . Going against tired players .

The Potter and three lions repped this.
  25. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Phew. That was tense. Everything I wanted to say been said before, I was very angry with Southgate yesterday, hopefully Alli will not start next time, really can't understand which match Southgate saw yesterday, because Alli should have brought off after 50 minutes. Colombia were absolutely disgusting, and I felt they would progress in the end. Thankfully I was wrong.

sinner78 repped this.