2018 FIFA World Cup thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Nov 16, 2017.

1. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    If he's in that sort of goalscoring form then he's an asset, regardless of some weaknesses in his game. If he's not, then there are better options to start.
    At the moment, he just doesn't look as dangerous as he did last year and his temper is a concern if things aren't going his way.

hussar repped this.
  2. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Actually Milner is in fantastic form at Liverpool, though it doesn't mean I would want him back.

3. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    If Henderson had Milner's brain, I might not have a problem with him. Neither one is a visionary or exciting footballer, but at least Milner has positional sense and knows how to help his team. Henderson causes more problems than he solves.

4. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Surprised no one is advocating for Lingard as the 10. He is having a fantastic season and one of his core strengths is ball retention. We aren't really a good enough side to be turning possession over a lot, which is what will happen with Alli as the 10.

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah I don’t want to rate Jesse but he’s changing my mind this year

Great at driving in to join the attack. Bit like Ali was 2 years ago

6. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I put him in my England starting XI when I posted it.

[​IMG]

hussar repped this.
  7. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    On current form, it's difficult to argue with most of that team. My only concerns would be the lack of game time for Rose, and potentially Stones for the rest of the year.

8. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    A World Cup is as much about form as it is ability. Schillachi, Milla, Rossi, Forlan, Larsen, Gyan - none of them were world beaters, but they peaked at the finals. Given our lack of genuine world class players, Kane excluded, we need to be picking people who are playing well going into the tournament. We can't afford to be carrying anyone.

9. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Yeah, Rose is the weakest link there. Bertrand, Delph or Shaw are the alternatives.

10. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This would be my squad if I was the manager.

11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Since he returned from his injury, he just doesn't look the same player as previous seasons when he was immense, whether it's fitness issues or just getting his confidence back, idk.

12. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Yeah, nice team.

13. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Nick Pope should have an outside chance for the World Cup, he's been fantastic all season.

14. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Also Will Hughes back from injury with a match-winning assist today.

W.A.S.P. and ChristianSur repped this.
  15. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    It probably is largely the injury, but it wouldn't be surprising if he's alienated himself from Pochettino by being a bit of a gobshite. Some of the comments he's made this last year should have stayed private.

hussar and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  16. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    hussar repped this.
  17. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Based on the midfield being rather weak I'd consider giving Hughes a game. I think he's got more potential than the likes of Winks and certainly is more technical than Henderson and Dier.

18. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Needs to get back into the Watford team first really, doesn't he. I'd have thought that, on current form, Cook and Oxlade-Chamberlain were more like to get the call. I'm assuming Wilshere will.

19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I could quite easily be reading to much into this but with the latest team picked by Pep for today's game with Chelsea, I think it might suggest Stones is fourth choice Centre back at the moment which obviously wouldn't be good as far as England is concerned.

20. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    At the moment, perhaps, but Otamendi and Laporte have both looked better on the left of a pair and Kompany struggles to play consecutive games. He'll get more chances. He just needs to make sure he takes them.

21. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Given that the league is all but done, I think you'll be seeing Kompany (if fit) and Otamendi as the main Champions League partnership. Stones should get games, but it does appear he's been moved down the pecking order. As long as he's not frozen out it shouldn't be an issue for the summer, but it is a longer term concern.

22. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    It hardly looks as if England players are doping but the team's doctor has been accused. OK it's the DM yet the BBC also have the story and every newspaper over here is reporting on it (because it has to do with cycling).

23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    He must have given Joe Hart a heavy dose of something throughout the Euros to explain his performances.

dbs235 and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  24. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    He shouldn't be anywhere near the England team, given what this shows about his working methods. It's not just that he could have been enabling cheating, although that is of course the worst eventuality. It's that, even in the best case, he simply doesn't appreciate the importance of being able to demonstrate to an independent third party that you're operating within the rules.

"The doctor attributed his poor record-keeping to being the only full-time member of staff and being 'constantly on call' for 140 athletes."

That just isn't good enough. If you're not in a position to record what treatment you're administering to professional athletes, bound as they are by a very strict set of regulations, then nor are you in a position to administer it in the first place. At best, it's extremely unprofessional. At worst, a lie to cover something more nefarious.

I mean, not that we're really expecting to win anything with the current England team, but what if we do? It'll be sullied before they even pick up the medals. Get this guy as far away as possible.

world soccer magazines repped this.