2018 FIFA World Cup thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    On paper it should be manageable and I highlight should as I just can't call it until I see what Squad Southgate picks. My faith in him is about as low as it can be I'm sorry to say.

2. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I'll take it. If we can get points off Belgium then we negate the risk of the others getting them.

I really don't think it's mid-range difficulty, by the way. On paper, we've got very lucky.

3. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    That's about as easy a group as you could have hoped for, and the 2nd round tie shouldn't be too difficult.

Anything less than the quarters will be an abject failure, not that I'm confident!

4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  5. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Yeah, the order of matches is perhaps the one downside. We have to get off to a quick start so that we don't go into the Belgium match needing a result.

6. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can see it now. Goalless draw to start, beat Panama and then lose to Belgium. Lose to Colombia in round of 16.

Would rather have faced Belgium first, always takes a while to get warmed up.

nfiniti repped this.
  7. world soccer magazines

Oct 31, 2016
    Brazil or Germany likely quarter final.

8. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Love our group.

We should get out, but if we don't then Southgate gets axed. On paper Panama and Tunisia should not be progressing ahead of us or Belgium.

Having said that I like our chances a lot if we have the right team. I think we'll have to win every game to top the group becaue Belgium have been decent at hammering average sides, while we don't hammer anybody.

9. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    There was a 6 in 32 chance I'd be flying back from England and miss our second game, so in that respect I'm happy that didn't happen! Now I get to see our first group game in England and the other two back in the US. Not particularly thrilled with the draw though.

10. world soccer magazines

Oct 31, 2016
    What more could you reasonably ask for? Tunisia got beat 4-1 by Guinea in qualifying. Panama barely won any games.

Looks like it'll be near 3 hour plane journeys between venues for England, if it's private flights, which I'm sure it will be.

11. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Poland or Columbia will cause serious problems to England in the second round

Quarter-final : Germany or Brazil
    Semi-final: France or Spain

12. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    cork is your team but germany os your country?

are you Michael fassbender?

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I think we will struggle against anyone if Southgate plays Henderson or Livermore or heavens forbid both in any games during the World Cup.

14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Makes you wonder about playing this seemingly declared system. Three at the back, two full backs and two options merely holding and not offering a great deal on the ball. For those first two games? Fair enough to play it against Belgium.

hussar repped this.
  15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Going to be interesting to see the attendances of these games. Would certainly be an adventure.

16. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Quite interesting (albeit meaningless) that Raheem Sterling has more CL goals than any Belgian ever. He seemingly can't get into our starting team either :confused:

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    People want an easy route to the final? Look at Germany in 02

U want to play good teams on the way imo to build
    Confidence and show if u are capable

Nothing worse than losing a final

18. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    We've screwed up seemingly weak groups before. I'd much rather see us in a stronger group to build our performance level from the get-go. Look at what happened in 2010.

19. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If most everyone is healthy then Livermore probably won't even be selected.

20. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    http://www.sportbible.com/football/...southgate-says-is-in-his-starting-xi-20171202

I think this is going to go down well with the majority on here :ninja: So, he's got to maintain his current good form as Southgate obviously sees it :confused:

If we play tomorrow, I think Joe Hart would be our number one. I said that before the last game and he had a very good performance against Brazil. Equally, as I keep having to say to him, we are six months away and he has got to maintain form and make sure [of that] in the lead up to the World Cup."

21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Seriously, god knows with Southgate though. He seems to watch football in a very different way to the rest of us it feels.

22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I don't think the comments on Hart are an issue. He's supporting an option that is blatantly struggling and at the same time saying the place is up for grabs if someone else hits form until the end of the season. Someone still needs to step up and take the place. Maybe with a more structured defence under Allardyce Pickford can start to look like a genuine option.

23. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Shearer thinks Panama is the worst team in the competition and John Bennett, who reported a lot on qualifying in Africa says that Tunisia is the worst African team.

24. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We'll have to travel 4,066 miles through the group stage.

25. transferkaliningrad

transferkaliningrad New Member

CSKA Moskva
    Russia
    Dec 24, 2017
    Hello.
    I offer a meeting and transfer from the airports of Lithuania, Poland to your hotel in Kaliningrad.
    auto 1-3 places
    Minibus for 8 persons.
    From Gdansk, 300 euros (car) / 560 euros (minibus)
    Warsaw, Kaunas, Vilnius 400/800
    The price for transport, not for one person
    Cash payment at destination
    email: transferkaliningrad@gmail.com