2018 FIFA World Cup thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Nov 16, 2017.

1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    1017160255359381505 is not a valid tweet id

The Potter, W.A.S.P. and David Hurford repped this.
  2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Hard to compare. 04 was more talented and experienced but lacked depth in areas. This group was was arguably our most mobile team and the technical level was still strong. We just lacked a few playmakers.

SF19 repped this.
  3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

SF19 repped this.
  4. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I don't know how much of England's loss can be put down to tactical failings. I think it comes down more to personnel than tactics. England needed someone who could buy that half yard of space for Kane; someone England looked to have lacked at this World Cup. As Barry suggests above, what was lacking was a playmaker or two, someone of real vision on the ball, who could dictate play, and dominate proceedings from the midfield. Someone in the mold of Scholes, who at Euro 2004 had sprung Rooney for a goal against Croatia and would likely have done the same here for Kane (or Sterling).

Seeing those instances where Kane turned provider, where he was then orchestrating from the midfield, was the clearest indication of this issue. Southgate used Kane to draw out the Croatian CBs and Kane tried to distribute the ball into the final third. It was a decent idea, but it didn't work in the end. Also, it had the effect of making life easier for Croatia since it meant England's danger man was not taking up dangerous positions. When Kane wasn't in that role, England simply tried to hoof the ball forward or attack in another direct ways. I don't think that was necessarily a bad thing in of itself, England are very good side when playing direct, but Kane is the player everyone looked to in order win games and it just felt like England wasn't doing enough to get the most out of him.

There was one moment specifically where Kane had hit the post and had nearly put the game beyond Croatia's reach. It would have won England the game had it gone in, no doubt, and it was probably England's best chance to do just that.

In the build up to the play, Alli attempted a cross-field pass which I can't say for certain was intended for Lingard. In any case, Lingard managed to take a couple of needed touches in order to bring what was a somewhat difficult ball into his control and then he unleashed a low through ball to Kane, who then had two attempts at goal, only to be denied initially by some smart keeping and then on the follow-up by the post.

For anyone who can see the play again, watch Kane carefully. Once Alli made the pass, Kane was able to anticipate the space he would find behind himself and had enough awareness that he didn't even need to take a look to make sure he was in the free, which meant he was able to keep his attention on the ball and in an excellent position to react quickly. Moreover, before he even fully lost his marker, he was already signaling to Lingard that he wanted to receive the ball and how he wanted it played: low and into his feet. Normally we expect the player on the ball to have dictated the play, but here it's Kane, the receiving player, who dictated the play. He called the play.

M and ChristianSur repped this.
  5. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't have the best of knowledge, which is a blessing and a burden plus I've learned how to not look like idiot on forums, and know when to pick my fights!

I would also argue that there's a couple more classy posters on here too.

David Hurford repped this.
  6. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    It's not just Henderson's direct approach that was a problem there. It's also just how incredibly poor his execution of long passes was. I feel like he slightly fooled people into thinking he was having a better tournament than he actually did by playing a couple of notably good balls early on against Tunisia. After that, he was very hit and miss.

7. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    That's a bit unfair, against Sweden and Colombia he had good games. It's true though, that against superior opponents he did much less well.

8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Not that we didn’t expect this: The Premier League will be delighted I’m sure:

Actually, guess the winter break will just be moved for this particular season and be slightly longer

9. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Has anyone got any views on the 3rd place match? I just can't be bothered with it. I'd expect plenty of changes.

10. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It will have to be a lot longer won't it? Squads will want a couple of weeks minimum to meet up before the tournament. Then the clubs will want a week afterwards. More, perhaps? 7 or 8 week break. The calendar will have to be brought forward a couple of week the season before and delayed the season after. Just hope they don't mess about with the cup competitions even further that season. The lower leagues will have to have a 4.5 week break as their attendances will be decimated otherwise. Perhaps they could play some fixtures on the rest days so perhaps not so bad for them. Should never have been sold to Qatar.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  11. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Couldn't care less, but I kind of hope the players go for it. I guess it could affect our ranking a bit. Anyway, I'm not going to bother watching.

12. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nah. Waste of time. Hope anyone who's played serious minutes in the knockouts is left out.

13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    This is a touchy subject in my household as my girlfriend being Swedish can’t believe my/our discontent for this 3/4th place play off. Over here in Sweden it’s absolutely celebrated like a National treasure when they got bronze in the 94 World Cup, had street parties for a week. Maybe it’s us that are being a bit stuck up about it, idk but just interesting how other Countries view it. I don’t think Belguim think it’s a big deal either fwiw.

14. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just thinking about this further any team that has few players involved in the World Cup or whose players are mostly back after the group stage could be at a serious advantage in the 2nd half of the season. There could be a quite significant impact at both ends of the table.

15. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Typical English arrogance, innit.

For me it is bordering on inhumane to expect players to pick themselves up after just a couple of days off. It isn't the Olympics where you at least would add to the nation's tally.

16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Tell me about it, my gf is like, I will get all my family and you get all your mates and we can go and cheer them on in the pub, I’m like you really, REALLY, don’t need to make all that effort but she just doesn’t get it, lol.

17. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Corruption.

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How long you been together? I only ask because, tbh, that sounds like a rookie mistake, (as the yanks say ;)).

If she thinks you'll be excited you HAVE to be excited. Them's the rules mate :D

19. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    All things being equal, If Mbappe plays like he did against Argentina, I think France will have no trouble beating Croatia.

20. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  21. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Well if nothing else it's midfield more suited to trying to keep the ball than the one we've mostly been using until now.

22. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Very surprised to not see Butland and Alexander-Arnold in.

23. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    At this level some players have it and some do not. In the AM role delph does not

24. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    The goal we conceeded was a mirror of the first croatia goal

25. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Everyone who thinks Dier is a better DM than Henderson, hopefully saw this first half.