2018 FIFA World Cup thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Nov 16, 2017.

1. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    who else do you make captain none come across like leaders

2. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    Why is everyone on yellow cards? Lol... Everytime i check in on the forum one of our staple contributors is on a warning. Placid, lorne..,,its like the columbia game of message boards.lol

Marcho Gamgee, W.A.S.P. and Steve Page repped this.
  3. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Not sure.

I don't like Kane being captain.

4. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Not allowed to talk about it.

5. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    Ok, well well move on then and try and keep 11 men on the pitch

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Something I've just realised is that these two incidents have something in common...

[​IMG]

In that incident the player, (Nani in red), was given a straight red despite the fact the guy comes from out of his eyeline.

But in this one...

[​IMG]

The Croatian guy's foot apparently wasn't deemed to be a high boot and the goal was allowed despite the fact that he's advancing on the guy so can obviously see him and yet STILL sticks his boot up up in the air.

The connection? It's the same ref :D

I mean, yeah... he doesn't make contact with Walker but that's mainly by luck and, in event, what's THAT got to do with it. It's dangerous play.

Anyway, the truth is we didn't deserve to win anyway the way our passing was going astray and how we kept dozing off defensively as the match went off.

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The first rule about bigsoccer is nobody talks about bigsoccer :D

W.A.S.P. and David Hurford repped this.
  8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    The refs have been far more lenient than in previous tournaments. I don't think any player has been sent off for a violent act or dangerous play in the whole tournament. It's obviously by instruction. TBH I don't think that goal should have been ruled out. I thought a couple of their players should have been carded in the first half which may have had an impact. Those are the breaks I guess.

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That was the same as an overhead kick which should nearly ALWAYS be ruled out if you stick to the letter of the law but, as you say, we want to see goals.

I just think that ref has a problem with English sides so Nani for ManU sees a straight red, (which was a shocking decision IMO), and Perisic is given a free pass for almost kicking someone in the head.

As you say, there were other things that were more noticeable at the time.

I just wondered if we'd have been given the call if it was Kane and one of their fellas went down holding his face and rolled over and over. I don't think it would have got anywhere NEAR VAR. He'd have just called it as a high boot and given a free kick.

Still... doesn't excuse Walker dozing off... AGAIN!!! :mad:

10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I don't like Cakir because he lets certain things go and then randomly cards people for minor things. So you never really know where you stand with him. There was a spell in the game when three decisions seemed to me to wrongly go against us and then we ended up with a booking.

hussar repped this.
  11. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    we ended up playing hoof football not through choice.

Steve Page repped this.
  12. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    Was a real shame they conceded on this play. Youre talking literally inches. If walker gets there first its a def foul. And did think the ref was too leniant. The fouls by lovren were a bit of a disgrace

13. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2688 glennaldo_sf, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Just got back from the match here in Moscow. My condolences England. From a neutrals perspective this was a great match to watch at the stadium, but can't imagine the disappointment you guys must feel to be that close to a WC final and not get there. The England fans were great though at the stadium, stayed back and sung long after the final whistle for the players.

Here's Kieran Trippier's goal from the stadium, won't post the others here out of respect. Good luck against Belgium, and if it's any consolation, this is a young team and with players coming through from the U17s + U20s World Cup championships, I'm sure brighter times are coming for England - wouldn't be surprised if you guys win this thing pretty soon in the near future. I'd think of this more of the beginning of something special rather than the end... anyhoo, here's your goal:

14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I think most of us were in agreement before the tournament that Southgate would likely struggle tactically because of watching his U21 reign and the senior qualifiers but he made the exact same errors a few times in this tournament. Also it’s a similar thing under Southgate to what happened under Hodgson. Teams adapt to our style or approach but we play the same way regardless. Even if we are getting killed in areas. The Vrsaljko issue in the second half was Similar to how Italy doubled up on Baines in WC 2014 and we just left it until they scored.

My main worry is that Southgate doesn’t have it in him at all to be remotely adaptable regarding in-game management. Same as the other pre-tournament concern of a plan B. Fine if he wants to have a specific plan but you need alternatives. Basically for the last however many tournaments we’ve gone into every game with a specific game plan and if it falls apart at any point we try an play through it.

M and Garibaldi11 repped this.
  15. Essex

Essex Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And this says a lot about or quality. We just couldn't cope with how the Croatians were playing in the second half.

Watch us getting destroyed by Belgium on Saturday.

And I wouldn't count on the younger generations to emerge successfully for the national team. They are likely to get marginalised by all the expensive foreign players in the Premier League. We should prepare for the next 30 years in international football irrelevance.

16. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Why only 30 years? Say 50 or 100 at least!

17. Essex

Essex Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'll go out on a limb and think that Japan will win their first world cup before we win our second.

18. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Is it just me, but some of our key players seem to have fitness issues - Kane since the dying minutes of the Colombia game, Alli practically the whole tournament, Henderson had to be substituted in the last 2 games, even the always energic Lingard seemed knackered yesterday.

19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, this is a criticism I have for Southgate tbh, he’s far to loyal towards players which is admirable but at the same time it’s his downfall. Croatia will have known as we all did that the team would have been the exact same team that started against Colombia and Sweden. If Southgate had thrown a spanner in the works with a surprise team selection or even a tactical tweak, it might have caused Croatia to re-think but he didn’t. Rose over Young should have happened last night from the start and not a late substitution. Someone else should have come in for Alli too as he looked dead, probably RLC or Rashford. Just think Southgate has been pretty poor at rotating his Squad for each game except for the dead rubber against Belgium in the group game and I expect the same for the game on Saturday when it’s to late.

I just hope that in a few weeks when they review the performance, that Dan Ashworth etc sit down with Southgate and address these issues. Southgate needs to learn from his mistakes also and I hope he does.

W.A.S.P., M, Phillyspur and 2 others repped this.
  20. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
  21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He needs to rotate players

Rlc for Ali and rose for young

Kane was dead on his feet but he made a like for like change when sterling. Was fine

22. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They played the same way from the start really, kane and Sterling were just effective receiving the long balls, thats faded as the game went on.

anyway you really are a missery guts mates so i wont answer anymore of your shitty posts.

no one expected anything of us and we are playing belgium for 3rd place.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  23. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    ChristianSur repped this.
  24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Completely agree

25. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Here is a DM who is calm under pressure, and is great at spraying the ball about, but unfortunately he is not quite ready yet, but buy the time the Euros come around he might be :)

David Hurford, W.A.S.P. and sharpovic repped this.