[2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification] Korea vs Qatar 2017/06/13 [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Jun 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think the Chinese approach to athletic progress will make it very hard to succeed in short run. Repetitive drilling only gets you so far.

2. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    korea has produced world class athletes in other fields as well, many of which were global/international sports. didnt help much in soccer

producing quality soccer players requires years of coaching experience and intensity of competition in all levels of youth that cannot be achieved overnight

3. Rob_Brighton

Rob_Brighton Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    What makes you think Stielike didn't "give a flying ********"? Even Hiddink has failed several times in his career, and in situations where success would probably have been easier. Netherlands is a football country, and Hiddink wasn't a resounding success during his last tenure there. I am sure Hiddink would not be so successful now if he were managing KNT, especially when you consider that he didn't even manage to do so well even when he had a sort of golden generation of Korean players.

Let's face it, KNT players today are gutless wimps with very little ambition and very little fighting spirit.

Chingoo repped this.
  4. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yeah exactly my point. China's method for producing Olympians seems unlikely, and so far hasn't, produced success in soccer. The fact that they're resorting to silly rules like forcing CSL clubs to start Chinese youth (or something like that) is evidence of that.

5. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    ?? Koreans get praised for their technical abilities? Do you really believe that Koreans are technically superior to Americans? LOL.

6. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    FCK me man. I can't get over this. When you're saying "Koreans are generally praised" - who you talking about man? Like, name me ONE Korean baller that gets praised for their technical ability in Europe. Please. JUST ONE.

7. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Kim Bo Kyung used to get praise from Cardiff supporters over his dribbling abilities. I also remember Ki being praised for his vision and passing back when he was in-form.

Just noticed both play(ed) in Wales

8. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    Kwon chang-hoon will be praised for his technical ability very soon, it's just a matter of time.

chook90 repped this.
  9. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Except for few, most got praised for their core technical ability by their respective clubs. Not just by fans but by their peers & managers (often mentioned as the top technically sound players). Now, if you were to compare Korean players to top players in top leagues, of course they look underwhelming but Koreans in general are above avg in technical ability.

Technical ability isn't the issue for most Koreans who move to Europe. It is their passive nature that is often criticized.

doraemon repped this.
  10. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Oh so some random people in Wales praised Kimbo?

11. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Like who, man? Care to give me a link? Because I can't imagine anyone at Augooksburg saying that Ji Dong-guo got some excellent technical ability.

12. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Technical ability is an issue. It's a glaring one when your best player (Son) struggle to trap the ball on a consistent basis. The only technical player good enough for Europe, on grounds of technique alone, is Ki. He is the most un-Korean player this team has ever had, in a good way. When Guus said that technique isn't a problem, it was a relative comparison to fitness, which is a bigger problem indeed. However, to say that Koreans have the technical ability to compete in Europe, this is simply a LIE. If technique was truly our competency, then I see no reason why we should struggle to string more than 2 passes against Qatar.

13. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Kwon, in every department, is too good for Korea. I'm glad that he has escaped the domestic league. Best wishes to him. Though, I can't imagine anyone praising him for this technical ability. He's good enough for Korean standards. But for European ones...NAH.

14. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    i think that his technically skills are somewhat underrated. Yes, by world standards there are better player than him...but even by world standards...he's better, a lot better than average.

We just don't see it often for two reason mainly:

1) most of the time, he prefers to do the right thing over the spectacular one, and sometime the right thing is the simplest and least "outstanding"

2) He's a very incosistent player, and an incosistent player shows very little his quality. It's like this...in one good day can look great, in an other one shit, then good but not that good.

I don't think there is anything Kwon can't do with the ball, and if you add to it the fact that is execution speed is really excellent (a matter that only technically gifted players can master)

To me Kwon is a 8,5/10 in terms of technically ability.

chook90 repped this.
  15. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #465 takeuchi, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    http://www.augsburger-allgemeine.de...er-schweigende-Scharfschuetze-id39910892.html

Reuter, Baier (captain of the team).. Markus Weinzeirl as ex-manager, Michael Zorc (BvB sporting director) when he was receiving reports from his scout near FCA and so forth. All of them did nothing but praise Ji DW on his technical ability.

On 1st touch, ability to trap the ball and whatnot.. in stats.. Ji was above his peers in FCA. Not to mention, most rated Ji DWs technical ability over Koo JC too.

Fans tend to under rate & heavily criticize players they support. Son, for ex.. purely by stats, did a better job of trapping & protecting the ball compared to Delle Alli, Kane and etc last season.

If you don't believe me, here...

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/30/Show/England-Tottenham

click on dispossed & unstable touches from offensive category.

Technical ability isn't an issue. Better yet, most Asians (S Korea & Japan) are praised in general for it. The issue is.. of which, imo is based on difference in culture... Korean players lack individual flair nor have the audacity to .. at times, not follow instructions & make plays on their own in certain situation.

edit - btw, even a nobody like Choi KR at FC St Pauli gets praise for his technical ability (especially on shooting). he just seems to lack mental strength to be consistent....

chook90 repped this.