2018 Chicago Red Stars

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by MRAD12, Jan 1, 2018.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, bummer.

But, notwithstanding, Happy New Year MRad. Let's see the Red Stars and Thorns in the Championship game. Still, to me, the best rivalry in the NWSL.

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yeah, oh well. Happy New Years to you too my friend.

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #4 MRAD12, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    I want to hear from the Red Stars on what happened with this move.
    As a season ticket holder and for other season ticket holders I feel we are owed that.

As I see it unless some other unforeseen info unfolds, the Red Stars gained NOTHING from the move of acquiring Morgan Brian and trading a player like Mewis who wanted to be in Chicago from what I gathered and help them win a Championship in 2017. Mewis was a Rory type of player, IMO. She had guts, was healthy, played hard AND had the skill that was needed toward the end of last season.

So as far as I see it, the Red Stars didn't win the NWSL Championship in 2017, Mewis is gone and Brian is gone.

I was initially excited to see Morgan Brian in a Red Stars uniform thinking the Red Stars hierarchy knew what they were doing and more than likely Brian will be with us in 2018 to make a run at the NWSL Championship. I was excited for the future of the Red Stars going into 2018 with Brian and Colaprico in the middle.

After everything that has unfolded since the semi-final loss a few months ago I want to know from the Red Stars brass the reasoning behind the gamble and their thoughts now that the gamble did not come to fruition.

Are we Red Stars fans going to hear more unfolding, unpleasant news from the media as the weeks roll along toward the 2018 season?

blissett repped this.
  5. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    She has signed for two years and a half, so she won't come back to the Red Stars in the Summer. From what I have been told, Lyon have been working on that move for a long while, prior to the trade actually.

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #6 MRAD12, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Thank You. I have heard that the move to Lyon was in the works for a while. My question is for the Red Stars to make a statement so that their fans understand what just went on.

7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Agreed especially with that tweet

917779562053980161 is not a valid tweet id

8. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I honestly think they acquired Morgan Brian to "win now" or boost their squad for a championship run in 2017. But she wasn't quite healthy enough and it obviously didn't work out. The Red Stars have a young roster with no obvious long term or short term needs. They took a gamble that Morgan Brian would help them win a championship and they were wrong. Even without Brian, they have one of the strongest rosters in the league, and a full roster of strong players.

Not that Mewis wouldn't be stronger than some of your less experienced roster members but the Red Stars seem to put short-term Morgan Brian as a priority over long term Kristie Mewis.

MRAD12 repped this.
  9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Airox and cpthomas repped this.
  10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There is no telling what Rory will do with the Red Stars picks or who he will pick in tomorrow's draft.

I do know and I'm sure other CRS fans feel the same, that the Red Stars need a better second goalkeeper.
    I hope that him and Arnim know that and use a pick on a quality keeper to back up Naeher.

blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  11. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12 lncolnpk, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Rumor : Press + traded for Sam Kerr , Lloyd involved too.

12. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    so sad to see Press go :(

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I wonder if Press forced the deal? She didn't seem happy when Rory played many reserve players against Portland in that final season game.

17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As I said elsewhere, losing Press but getting Kerr could after all turn out good for Chicago, especially if Press wasn't enough motivated anymore to play another season for Red Stars.
    Kerr can sure deliver all of the goals CRS were missing.

18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This looks exactly like the quality GK pick @MRAD12 had called for in a post above.

Only thing making me shake my head is the fact that she's a girl playing with #00. :x3:

MRAD12 repped this.
  19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree. And fans will warm up to Kerr.

When I talk about the Red Stars, I not only talk about play on the field but Red Stars as a whole. Long time fans are also concerned about the fan support. Christen Press being a USWNT player, attracts fans.

On the blogs, many Sky Blue fans are pissed that they traded a young Kerr for an aging Lloyd. Well, the Sky Blue brass has to think about attendance as well. Their attendance has been pretty bad and they need a big UWNT name. That's how it is in the women's game outside of Portland.

blissett repped this.
  20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    blissett repped this.
  21. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard rumors for the last couple of years that they didn't get along.

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, Press is a great player and fans came out to see her, but we got arguably the best player in the world in Sam Kerr.

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you know much more than I do about this, but man to me Press was money.

BTW, I am reading Houston was not a team Press wanted to go to and...