2018 Carolina Challenge Cup

Discussion in 'Minnesota United FC' started by Mister Obvious, Oct 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CHARLESTON, SC - The Charleston Battery will welcome Major League Soccer’s (MLS) Atlanta United, Columbus Crew SC, and Minnesota United FC to MUSC Health Stadium this coming February for the 2018 Carolina Challenge Cup (CCC).

http://www.charlestonbattery.com/news_article/show/840637

Saturday, February 17th
    Atlanta United vs. Columbus Crew SC (5:00 PM EST)
    Charleston Battery vs. Minnesota United (7:30 PM EST)

Wednesday, February 21st [DOLLAR BEER NIGHT]
    Charleston Battery vs. Columbus Crew SC (5:00 PM EST)
    Atlanta United vs. Minnesota United (7:30 PM EST)

Saturday, February 24th
    Columbus Crew SC vs. Minnesota United (5:00 PM EST)
    Charleston Battery vs. Atlanta United (7:30 PM EST)

Individual tickets for the 2018 CCC will be available for purchase beginning on Friday, October 20th. Single-day ticket start at $30, series passes include all six matches across three days and start at $65. Special rates for groups of 15 or more are available. To purchase tickets on October 20th, visit charlestonbattery.com or call 843-971-4625.

NORML repped this.
  2. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Bluecat82 repped this.
  3. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
  4. Teak

Teak Member+

Feyenoord, VfB Stuttgart, Valencia
    Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Just watched Columbus beat the Loons 2-0. Offense was woefully anemic; I don't think the Columbus goalkeeper had to make a save the entire match. Too many shots from a distance and high over the bar. Passing broke down in the final third most of the time. Lineup looked like this:

Shuttleworth
    Mears, Boxall, Calvo, Thiessen
    Schuller, Martin
    Finley, Ibson, Molino
    Ramirez

In reality, Molino was all over the pitch so few attacks could go down the left side since he was AWOL. Ibson was playing more like a box-to-box midfielder (#8) than he did last season. His passing, along with Molino's, was poor. Schuller and Martin were "Meh" at defensive mid. They really didn't shut down Columbus attacks. Zardes looked good for Columbus, and I was impressed with Mears' work rate. Other than that, not much to look forward to this season based upon that performance.

5. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    In three matches, we had pretty much only one good scoring chance.

Oof :confused::sick:

6. Teak

Teak Member+

Feyenoord, VfB Stuttgart, Valencia
    Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    So what other options has Heath lined up? Ramirez is a good striker but he was starved of service. Crosses went straight to Columbus players. Such poor passing on display. Molino can't float like he does; he isn't Kaka.

7. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    I don't know if it was the pitch or what, but I think I saw heavy touches from just about everyone of the Loons. I can't believe the lack of hustle to make runs, or simply helping out the forwards from the midfield. Just awful. All Columbus had to do (which teams did to us last year) is have their forwards press hard on Ibson and Martin. Now, I could say a simple 10 would have helped us out as well, of which they might have, but Molino and Finley were pretty "meh" as well. A 10 may not have done anything. It's also very reminiscent of last year, that the team has a hard time starting games. They just seem either lost or have no idea what to do.

From Heath last night

“We have competition in quite a few places, and we are hoping in the next few days to add one or two more pieces for next weekend. Whether they will be available is another matter. I think the team needs strengthening; that is quite apparent.”​

Just ugh. This is really second rate. More panic buying.