2018 Canadian Championship

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Robert Borden, Oct 2, 2017.

1. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We'll see, I guess.

No point going back and forth on your first two points....we just disagree and that is fine....only time will tell. The cup is called Canadian Championship because at the present time there is no other way to determine the Canadian Champion......can just as easily be renamed "Canada Cup" and bingo....problem solved.

2. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I would simply ask, do you want Canada represented by the best Canadian team or the best CPL team?

3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What's most likely to happen is status quo until CONCACAF gives Canada a second spot.

That shouldn't be long when looking at who's in charge of CONCACAF.

Also, status quo of 1-2 seasons gives time to CPL to have maybe all 10 teams in the league before being awarded the CCL ticket.

Major question will be this though:
    • Will Canada get 2 CCL spots or will it be 1 spot in CONCACAF league and 1 spot in Champions League?
    • If the spots are split between CONCACAF league and Champions league, which champion will the CSA decide to send straight into the Champions league? CPL Champion or V Cup champion?

Unak78 repped this.
  4. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    what I "want" is irrelevant....I am suggesting what I think (under the spirit of the rules) would/could/should happen.

If I had my druthers, I would want the team I support to be in the tournament every year....no matter what league or cup they have to win to do that....but, again, not sure that matters.

5. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    True that what any of us posting here want is irrelevant but we are here to talk about it. As for the rules, as you've pointed out, the rules for allocating Canada's spot(s) are whatever the CSA decides they are.

:)

6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Latest rumors on next year's Canadian Championship:

• PLSQ and L1O champions WILL NOT face each other in the 1st round. They will each face Ottawa Fury and FC Edmonton. The expected format is as followed:

1st Round
    AS Blainville vs. Ottawa Fury
    Oakville Blue Devils vs. FC Edmonton
    Winner of round 1 is expected to face Toronto FC in round 2

Round 2
    Montreal Impact vs. Vancouver Whitecaps
    Toronto FC vs. (Round 1 winner)

• There are talks that Tim Horton's Field could be the home stadium for the Oakville Blue Devils

Polygong repped this.
  8. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    #58 Kingston, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    ^ That format would make sense. Except I assume the MLS teams would enter in round 3 with a round 2 comprised of the winners of round 1, right? Otherwise there'd be five teams in round 2.

TOareaFan repped this.
  9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing what Robert Borden called "1st Round" refers to two rounds. Sometimes competitions use terms like "Preliminary Round" so "Round 1" isn't the first round.

10. rickie22

rickie22 Member

Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    Nov 25, 2017
    Vancouver, Canada
    Bumping this thread to see how the 2018 Canadian Championship will change now that Edmonton's out…

Unak78 repped this.
  11. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    It seems like a no-brainer to have the PLSQ and L1O champs face each other first round, with the winner facing the Fury in the second round for the right to face TFC in the third round.

Unak78 repped this.
  12. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Round 1: Throw all 6 names in a hat......first two out play each other.....next two out play each other.....two remaining stay in hat and get a bye.

Round 2: Winners of round 1 matches join the two names already in the hat.....draw again....first two out of hat play each other....next two out of hat play each other.......

Round 3: winners of Round 2 play each other.

No need to be any more complicated than that.

13. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Round 1: One D3 against Ottawa and the other against Montreal

Round 2: Ottawa winner against TFC, Montreal winner against Vancouver

Round 3: Winners of round 2.

14. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I just hate seeded cup competitions.

15. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    ^ As is your right. It has been the way for this tournament, however.

16. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    can't blame me for trying to find the silver lining in the FCE demise....and a dropping of the seeding in this tournament would do it for me.

17. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    FCE is still fielding their academy squad, I say let them play.

Unak78 and TOareaFan repped this.
  18. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  19. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    So an expanded tournament with four rounds instead of three and ten games instead of eight. With ten years under our belt it's good to see the tournament making baby steps into the amateur ranks.

I'm curious to see what the attendance will be like for games involving the D3 sides. That will presumably go a long ways to determining how much D3 involvement we see in the future.

Unak78 repped this.
  20. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    March 9, 2018 League 1 Ontario All Stars 1 Ottawa Fury FC (USL) 6

my game report at: http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18l1o010.htm

I don't have enough posts so far to START a topic so I'll have to post it here. There's some news about the Voyageurs Cup first round game for Oakville Blue Devils being moved again!

21. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's a shame they couldn't find a facility in Mississauga as that would be closer to their L1O home than Vaughn.

22. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    "Getting obliterated by Mexican clubs"? ......." MLS teams are very far away I assure you"?

You were joking when you typed this right? Perhaps hyperbole or is 6 months really far away in your eyes?

23. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    NO, he's probably correct that CPL teams would get waxed by Liga MX teams. That's why I think if any additional spots were available for Canadian teams, they should play in the Concacaf League tournament first. It would be better for Canadian player development in the long run to get more games in the region than be "one and done" in CCL.

Unak78 and Polygong repped this.
  24. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Oakville at Blainville tomorrow to kick things off. I'm happy to see amateur teams entering and I'm really curious to see what the attendance is like. The forecast is cool (17) and cloudy but at least no rain. I'm not strongly attached to either team but, as an Ontarian, I'll go with Oakville.

25. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The 2018 Canadian Championship starts tonight

Oakville Blue Devils (League 1 Ontario Champions) vs AS Blainville (Première Ligue de Soccer du Québec Champions)

1004495652452290562 is not a valid tweet id