2018 Canadian Championship

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Robert Borden, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  2. dantasu

dantasu Member

Portuguesa Santista
    Brazil
    Dec 8, 2009
    Santos
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    gotta wait the L1O winner...

It would be interesting if an 8th club could join it

like a Challenge Trophy or Canadian Soccer League champion (YR Shooters)

3. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I thought CSL was unsanctioned. The Challenge trophy winner would be an interesting pick to round out an eight-club field.

4. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Best choice would be PCSL champion.

5. dantasu

dantasu Member

Portuguesa Santista
    Brazil
    Dec 8, 2009
    Santos
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

CSL was unsanctioned for ages, no worries. It was just an idea. Also would be interesting a play-off match among CSL winner x Challenge Trophy winner to take this last spot.

6. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I'm curious what the format will be. One of L1O and PLSQ against each of Ottawa and Edmonton in a first round, perhaps?

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I would agree with that.

Round 1
    PLSQ vs. Ottawa Fury
    L10 vs. FC Edmonton

Winner of those 4 face an MLS side

Round 2
    Round 1 winner vs. TFC
    Montreal Impact vs. Vancouver Whitecaps

CPL teams are expected to enter the tournament at the same time as MLS Clubs once they start

8. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I imagine the format will also depend on how many CPL clubs there are. They'll want something that makes a neat bracket which could be a bit awkward with five clubs (MLS and D3) plus X number CPL clubs. It wouldn't surprise me to see some CPL clubs enter earlier than others.

9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They could always allow more D3 teams to enter to balance things out. CPL will start with no less than 6 teams, but 8 teams seems more likely

10. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Any even number of CPL teams would be awkward unless, as you suggest and as would be likely, they add more D3 teams to get an even number.

Even with that, however, I still think it's likely that some CPL clubs would enter at an earlier stage than others.

For example, a six team CPL could lead to:

Round one: three D3 and five CPL
    Round two: four winners, one CPL (top team?), three MLS
    Play down from there.

An alternative would be a 16 team knock out bracket but that would presumably pit MLS teams against D3 teams which would be an even bigger waste of time than CPL versus D3.

11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    As the CSA will be a major shareholder in CPL, it's highly unlikely that they will optically put CPL teams in a situation advocating they are "lower" than MLS in status.

The best way to go around it is a random draw with all parties involved

12. dantasu

dantasu Member

Portuguesa Santista
    Brazil
    Dec 8, 2009
    Santos
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    CPL team at Voyageurs Cup sounds confunsing. Coz if CPL winner advances to Concacaf Champions League, why it should play the Voyageurs? Unless if Voyageurs becomes an "Open Canada Cup" like Lamar Hunt US Open..

13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    CPL will ask for their champion to go to the champions league. Until the confederation agrees to a second spot for Canada, the V Cup will be the only way to qualify

Unak78 repped this.
  14. dantasu

dantasu Member

Portuguesa Santista
    Brazil
    Dec 8, 2009
    Santos
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Is it seriously?

15. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's the only way for the Canadian MLS clubs to qualify as well. TFC winning the Supporter's Shield this year does not open another spot for another Canadian club.

16. dantasu

dantasu Member

Portuguesa Santista
    Brazil
    Dec 8, 2009
    Santos
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Concacaf should allow a new spot for Canada. (Voyageurs & CPL winner)

17. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I imagine that they'd want to keep it to an even number of 16 teams, so in order to give Canada an additional spot, they'd have to take one away from someone else. There are only one and a half spots for the entire Caribbean, 5 of the 7 Central American countries have one spot each, plus another half spot for the entire region. Very doubtful that any of those could get taken away.

That leaves the 4 spots each for Mexico and the USA. I don't see much hope in either of them giving up a spot to us. The only real possibility I see is the US moving to 3 full spots and then having their fourth spot (say for example the Lamar Hunt winner) playing the CPL champ for a berth. But even that's a long shot.

The only real possibility I see is if they make it a 24 team tournament.

Unak78 repped this.
  18. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I suppose the CSA could do that but it seems silly. Optics or not, the MLS teams are going to be stronger than the CPL teams, especially for the 2019 Canadian Championship.

There's also scheduling to consider. If they keep the home and away format, a 16 team knock out means eight games for the teams that make the final. Currently, in practice, no team plays more than four games.

19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't disagree with you on MLS being stronger than CPL at first, but that doesn't change that it's in CSA interest to see CPL succeed by selling the league by any means necessary. There's nothing silly about that approach, it's really just plain common-sense

20. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    It's silly (to me, anyway) if we end up with an unwieldy tournament just to put optics ahead of reality. The tournament format has already been modified to suit changing realities. They should be able to acknowledge the 2019 CPL/MLS reality and adjust later if/when circumstances dictate.

21. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well, they don't care about naysayers and they know fully well that soccer experts and fans see the difference. However, CPL success will heavily rely on their ability to draw casuals and non-fans, and for that, marketing is everything.

Selling yourself short is total non-sense. Besides, MLS has been doing it for years as they don't shy away from advertising themselves as a world class league.

And besides, why can't we do like England where Championship clubs meets Premier League clubs early on? Way more entertaining than the US Open cup and current V Cup.

Unak78 repped this.
  22. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I get that. I just don't see promoting the CPL as the primary goal of the Canadian Championship. I'd rather see a good tournament first and consider the format's impact on the CPL second. I'm also not sure pretending CPL teams are the equal of MLS teams is going to draw fans. When I was in Ottawa for the Ottawa/TFC game this year many of the Ottawa fans were excited precisely because they knew the Fury were the underdogs.

I see MLS promoting themselves as the best league in Canada and the US. I see them openly aspiring to be a top world league. I don't see them claiming that they are.

We certainly could and those sorts of matchups will happen anyway. Putting the CPL teams on par with the MLS teams, however, would be like the English treating Championship and Premier League clubs equally for some reason of optics.

23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Bottom line is, if MLS teams are truly superior, the tournament's format is truly irrelevant, just like in England. What matters is a fun and exciting tournament and one of the best way to do that is just have ourselves a random draw

24. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Would you include D3 teams in a random draw, too, or seed them?

Even if they are treated equally, would you prefer to see the CPL and MLS teams "seeded" to maximize cross league matchups and avoid (as much as possible) CPL or MLS teams facing each other?

25. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I prefer 100% random to be honest