2018 Breakout Youngster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Patrick167, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    22 and younger with less than 10 USMNT caps is what we are calling a youngster. Previous winners:

2016 Christian Pulisic
    2017 Weston McKennie

I would rank our kids from most likely to win to least, to get us started:

Keaton Parks
    Josh Sargent
    Tyler Adams
    Antonee Robinson
    Jonathan Amon
    Justin Glad
    Zack Steffan
    Juan Pablo Torres
    CCV
    EPB

After the Jonathan Gonzalez debacle, I'm not going to consider guys like Timothy Tillman or Jordan Siebatcheu until they file their one time switch. Siebatcheu would jump right up under Sargent if he did though.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve got a terrible feeling Antonee Robinson is the next Jonathan Gonzalez.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My vote right now is a toss-up between Adams and Parks. I think Tyler is going to have a helluva season for Red Bulls this year. And it's looking more and more likely that Keaton will establish himself as a first team player for Benfica.

4. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    He's never played for England anywhere. Only played briefly for our U18 team. Both might be because of injury. We can get him in and cap tie him in the CONCACAF League of Nations this Fall. He will not be on the England WC roster and, depending on how seriously they take the UEFA NL, i can't see them calling him in.

But, he could wait for them. His problem with England is named Rose, Bertrand, Walker-Peters, and behind them Ryan Sessegnon who is onlyl 17. I don't know if he would have to file a switch to play for England, but he wouldn't have to file one to play for us.

5. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    If Adams moves and continues to play as well, he definitely could be our guy this year. He will probably have 10 caps by this time next year, maybe just under, if he stays healthy.

I think there is a good chance Sargent starts most of the games next Fall for Werder. That might be in the 2.BL, but that would still be impressive seeing as he is not even a professional yet, as I write this.

Hopefully, we have several of these guys making a case. There are quite a few dark horses too.

6. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Don't care that much. Really doubt that he will be any close to our NT. Certainly will never play for England.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Unfortunately..........................starting at left back in the Championship puts him close to our national team.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him called into a camp for a Euro-based friendly that's upcoming. Why the hell not? Nothing to lose whatsoever.

SCSAutism repped this.
  8. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure Keaton Parks would have made my top 5 for this even 6 months ago but he's right at the top now.

RalleeMonkey and Patrick167 repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We talked about this in the other thread, but now it looks like its getting closer to official....................

10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adams, Glad, Robinson, and Steffen already broke out. It's just a matter of if they might a high enough standard to win the award. They were candidates.

If Sargent were eligible once he turned 18, I'd pick him. He's a virtual can't miss between what's he's showing in practices, did up a level w/ the u-20's, and his skill, mentality, plus physical tool combination.

In lieu of his availability, I think Parks becomes the favorite. He's yo-yo'ing and urgency/defense for position is a question, but he has great skill + a head on his shoulders for offense and Benfica almost assuredly will give him chances along the way.

Then I think Jonathan Lewis is on the cusp and could generate some hype as a wide attacker. He warranted more time last season and produced pretty well during his limited opportunities. Fast, the ball stays close, and he's a 2-footed, accurate striker of the ball.

Next I'd go with Jonathan Amon. He emerged due to circumstances at the end of last term and he should resume his role as a starter there. Was receiving glowing praise. Pacey and a good dribbler but I think needs to be a little less predictable and expand vision.

Rounding out a top 5 I'd break a rule because goalkeepers are expected to be older and name Tyler Miller. He was stuck behind an established guy in Seattle but looked confident and toolsy in his opportunities. He should have a big shot this season with LAFC. May be able to join the Hamid, Steffen, Gonzalez group as top prospects between the pipe.

11. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    There's a distinct lack of Reggie Cannon on this list. He's FCD's starting RB right now.

I'd also have Amon, Parks, Robinson, and Torres to round out my five most likely.

It's unbelievable to most but Parks is likely on Benfica's Champion's League roster next season.

justinpaul10, TCS35 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Nothing to lose, absolutely. Won't be the first guy called to Euro based camp that would be sub MLS level.

13. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Don’t forget Tillman. Also I like Pomykal.

I’m just here for the Busio and Gio Reyna hype in 2019!

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Part of the fun of following these youth players is that quite a number come out of nowhere. If we look at our list of possibilities from the start of 2017, Jonathan Amon wasn't on it. Came out of nowhere.

So after the couple of obvious candidates, its wide open. And considering where we are in terms of the next WC cycle, the USMNT staff could really call up anybody for a look.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    My playing time prediction for FCD teenage homegrowns:

Cannon: 2000 minutes
    Pomykal: 1000 minutes
    Servania: 500 minutes
    Ferreira: 500 minutes (US citizenship timeline..............close?)
    Reynolds: Debut

Mystery guest #6 is Carlos Avilez. Dual Mexican-American goalkeeper that's represented both national teams. Currently on a USL/reserve contract, but there is no third keeper on the FCD roster. Wouldn't shock me if he signs a homegrown contract with at least a chance of a debut.

Prediction: Reggie Cannon is at January camp next year.

TCS35, Rahbiefowlah and TheFalseNine repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    What's funny is that Reyna is probably the second best '02 in NYCFC's academy, but that player's last name isn't Reyna. I saw an article the other day on MLSSoccer.com that mentioned how Reyna was training with the NYCFC first team, the article didn't even mention the others doing so. "Busio hype" is bizarre, IMO. He's an okay player, but you could pick out probably like 10 players from his birth year better. I'm not blaming you, either. I really don't understand why some are pushing these two as "the standouts" of the '02 year. They aren't, from what I've seen. Reyna might be a borderline standout, but I still think there are a number ahead of him.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    he isnt getting anywhere close to an england full back call up. they are loaded with talent there.

my pick is Tyler Adams. he will be the best player on NYRB, and then get sold this summer to a bundesliga club. If some think Adams has broken out, then i will go with Jonathan Lewis. once jack harrison gets sold, that will open up a lot of minutes for him.

18. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who, in your opinion, is the best American '02?

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Alvarez

Best playing for the USA, Las (or Bello).

TheFalseNine repped this.
  20. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    [​IMG]

frankburgers repped this.
  21. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah
    [​IMG]

TheFalseNine repped this.
  22. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Yes, but let them play with the joy of Uncle Hugo! I digress. How about...

[​IMG]

23. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Efrain Alvarez isn't gonna play for us, I think that our best '02 is Joshua Pynadath.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  24. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is not cap tied to either country so no one time switch needed. His only youth cap has been a friendly.

Patrick167 repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. He may have been more of an option for our recently completed U20 cycle, but had a significant knee injury. It kept him out almost a full calendar year.

Another player that's been out for a long time and is now back. Marlon Fossey of Fulham has basically been out 8 months. Impressed at the CONCACAF U20 Championships, but was injured for the World Cup.
    956287528541310977 is not a valid tweet id

LouisZ and TxEx repped this.