Pre-match: 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cup Host Selection - December 2

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Nov 29, 2010.

1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The selection of the hosts of the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups will occur on Thursday at 9 AM EST on ESPN3. Here’s what you need to know.

-USA is bidding for the right to host the 2022 World Cup. Bidding against us are Australia, Japan, Qatar and South Korea.
    -USA is not bidding for the 2018 World Cup; that is between England, Netherlands/Belgium, Russia and Spain/Portugal.
    -The 24-man FIFA Executive Committee is in charge of the host selection. 2 members of that committee have been suspended due to vote-selling allegations, so the remaining 22 members will vote to decide the hosts of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

-The 2018 vote will take place first, then the 2022 one. The vote will be by secret ballot and all eligible members of the FIFA Executive Committee can vote in both ballots
    -To win the right to host the competition, a bidder must obtain an absolute majority (12 out of 22) of the votes of the FIFA Executive Committee members present
    -In the event of a tie when only two bidders remain, the FIFA President will have the casting vote
    -For any voting round in which an absolute majority is not achieved, the bidder with the lowest number of votes will not progress to the next voting round
    -If there is a tie for the lowest number of votes in any round, an intermediate voting round will be conducted to determine which of the tied bidders does not progress.

Here are the 24 members of the FIFA executive committee, of which only 22 have the right to vote on Thursday:

Joseph Blatter – Switzerland
    Angel Maria Villar – Spain
    Michel Platini – France
    Geoff Thompson – England
    Michel D’Hooghe – Belgium
    Senes Erzik – Turkey
    Marios Lefkaritis – Cyprus
    Franz Beckenbauer – Germany
    Vitaly Mutko – Russia

Chung Mong Joon – South Korea
    Mohammed Bin Hammam – Qatar
    Worawi Makudi – Thailand
    Junji Ogura – Japan

Issa Hayatou – Cameroon
    Jacques Anouma – Ivory Coast
    Hany Abo Rida - Egypt

Julio Grondona – Argentina
    Ricardo Teixeira – Brazil
    Nicolas Leoz - Paraguay

Jack Warner – T&T
    Chuck Blazer – United States of America
    Rafael Salguero – Guatemala

Currently suspended from voting due to allegations of vote-selling:
    Amos Adamu – Nigeria
    Reynald Temarii – Tahiti

Votes by continent:
    3 – North America
    3 – South America
    9 – Europe
    3 (4) – Africa
    4 – Asia
    0 (1) – Oceania

2. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Here's some important questions that need to be answered in USA 2022's favor to win.

1. Salguero has stated to the media several times he is not voting for USA 2022. Can Warner and Blazer win him over?

2. Which FIFA power-broker will have the bigger reach, Bin Hammam or Warner?

3. Does the rumors of a bid by China in 2026 reduce the viability of all the Asian competition for 2022?

3. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on how the others are tending to vote?

4. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
  5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
  6. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    The online bookmakers I looked at just now do not show prices for 2022, though last I heard William Hill had the US third, behind Qatar and Australia. As I understand, William Hill mentioned that there has been very little activity on the 2022 selection, meaning that Qatar's status as favorite is likely influenced by a small number of large wagers placed on Qatar.

Anyway, here's what they have for 2018, if anyone is interested on where the money is going:

1.73 Russia
    3.25 Portugal & Spain
    3.75 England
    41.00 Belgium & Holland

Numbers indicate the return on a dollar bet (or euro, pound, whatever), including one's original dollar, for a successful bet.

7. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    This is huge, in my opinion, especially if Blatter keeps that Oceania replacement on the sidelines and is thus the tiebreaking vote if it goes to 11 vs. 11.

China inadvertently did the USA an enormous favor by publicly stating their intentions at 2026.

Blatter is, of course, thinking about his legacy, and I'm sure would love to add the fact that he opened up China to World Cup football as well as Africa (and perhaps Russia).

8. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2018 - Russia
    2022 - USA
    2026 - China

Sounds good to me. Of course anything with 2022-USA sounds good to me.

9. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    Club:
    Seattle
    To me the question with regards to China's possible interest in 2026 is whether or not a message is being given that China's candidacy would suffer if Australia or Qatar win 2022. Despite being fellow AFC countries, those countries are in pretty distinct regions from China, certainly far more so than China's neighbors Japan and South Korea.

With regards to Australia, there might be reluctance to put consecutive World Cups in what is an awkward time zone for both Europe and North and South America. With Qatar, I am not sure a China 2026 bid would be problematic, though who knows what those 33 guys are thinking.

10. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    FIFA's main cash source from World Cups is the TV rights, no?

Imagine two World Cups in a row (Australia and China) hosted at bad TV times for Europe and the Americas and what that might do to the price of the broadcasts.

11. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    Club:
    Seattle
    As I said, this would seemingly be a big factor. However, how old will the current 22 voting members be when 2026 comes up for a vote? How old when they be in 2026 itself? If I knew for certain that there was that kind of long-term thinking going on amongst the voters I would be more inclined to think this would be a decisive factor. As it is, I'm not sure that many of the 22 voters are that concerned with 2026.

And as the Australians have pointed out, the Far East TV market might be the main one after another 16 years. I'm not sure about the validity of this argument, but if you count India (4-5 hours time difference) perhaps it becomes a little stronger.

12. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw those odds as well. It just seems unfathomable to me that Qatar's bid could possibly be successful. It seems so illogical on so many fronts.

But FIFA being FIFA...who knows?

13. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA are currently the odds-on favorite for 2022, but that vote has really become a sideshow given the furor generated by the UK media (and their investigative reporting) over the 2018 vote.

Warner (see ESPN Soccernet article today) has stated absolutely that CONCACAF's three votes will stick together (and, he implies, go where he directs- what does he have on Chuck Blazer?).

Personally, I think that England's woes benefit us. This makes Russia more likely to win and that will make it easier to vote for the USA after what will be three cup finals out on the periphery (S. Africa, Brazil, Russia).

If England wins, I'll start to worry for us. Until then, though, I think we have a very good chance. There's just no comparison in terms of the amount of money that everyone at FIFA will pocket in connection with a USA-hosted WC.

14. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007

India is not at all a soccer nation.

15. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    Club:
    Seattle
    I know, though I suspect that the World Cup is nonetheless a big TV event for the 1 billion + people there.

In any case, I'm just repeating what is, as I understand it, the Australian rebuttal to the time zone argument.

I tend to agree, which is something of a shame as England's woes seem pretty damn unjustified.

16. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qatar has money and govt support, but no stadiums yet and triple-digits summer temps. If they win 2022 WC it will be through pure bribery.

17. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's total BS if Qatar wins the 2022 WC. I understand the allure of holding the first WC in the Middle East, but Qatar is hot as hell in the summer time and they have a STRICT alcohol policy.

That being said, this is FIFA, AKA the most corrupt organization in the world so who the hell knows?

18. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    Club:
    Seattle
    There are problems with their bid, but alcohol isn't one of them. Alcohol is already available in hotels and would be available in stadiums and fan fests.

19. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qatar's population is 1.7mil, so country residents can supply just a few % of attendance.
    Australia has a strong bid IMHO, but Oceania's vote situation is not resolved yet.

20. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    The World Cup in India is HUGE. The Indian NT might suck, but the country is soccer crazy. And in 2026, along with China, they could be one of the richest TV markets.

21. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    The votes from the Japanese and Korean delegates might be the key once their countries get eliminated. Will they stay with Australia or Qatar? Or will we be able to peel one or both off?

22. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    good (and sobering) breakdown by Paul Kennedy at SoccerAmerica

William Hill's odds, by the way (interesting that Kennedy's people consider South Korea a stronger contender):

I can live with losing to the Aussies, because they're a rather similar nation to us in this contest (large, not very dense, matches would be played in local football stadiums, etc.). They're a fairly worthy host, in my opinion, better than USA 1994 and pretty similar to USA 2022.

Love him or hate him, Bill Clinton's a great choice to give the final pitch for the US. I don't think that the final speech matters, but if it's going to matter there probably isn't a more charismatic, globally popular, persuasive speaker to offer up for the US. Unfortunately, I think that the US falls short in the dark arts elements.

23. Hansadyret

Hansadyret Member

Feb 20, 2007
    Bergen, Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    I think they will go to USA hoping for a new shot for 2026 wich then probably will be an all asian affair.

24. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree.

I think you underestimate the United States.

Agree.

25. nick1278

nick1278 Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Russia and Qatar have it in the dark arts elements, and FifA is run like a banana republic. I would bet on those two, although the Spanish are a strong possibility because of the Latin American bloc voting for them. Qatar winning would be shameful. Yes, let's build ten white elephants and training facilities and air condition them at full blast! Only in the world of Fifa is such nonsense taken seriously.