2018 AFC Champions League

Discussion in 'Japanese Club Football' started by Gordon1995, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Congratulations to them.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  2. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    A great result, and already looking forward to the final vs Persepolis. Haven't watched much of the West Asian groups this year but they did really well to beat Al Duhail in the quarterfinal. Al Duhail looked like the by far strongest team in West Asia after the group stage and 8th finals, so that was a bit of a surprise.

According to stats it seems they were lucky to beat Al Sadd overall though in the semifinal as Al Sadd dominated both the possession and number of shots in both matches.

And in the 8th finals they only got through on away goals vs Al Jazira, so there should definitely be good chances for Kashima here.

3. Mehdi93

Mehdi93 New Member

Persepolis - Manchester United
    England
    Oct 25, 2018
    Mashhad, Iran
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As a Persepolis Fan who's writing his first post on this forum, I would like to express my sheer delight to see my beloved reds reaching Asia's top tier competition for the 1st time in our history. Due to the FIFA banning us from buying new players this summer and also in last January's transfer window, we have been way short in terms of personnel. For the 1st leg of our semi final tie against Al Sadd, we had only 15 players available in the first team and had to feel the bench with 3 players who had never been in our senior squad. Our game schedule has been pretty congested this year with domestic league and Cup and our short number of players have done simply sensational this year so far, we had 4 wins and 4 draws in our 8 league games with 6 clean sheets and also managed to win our round of 32 cup match. To reach the final in the continental stage giving the situation we are in is a remarkable achievement and I'm pretty optimistic about our chances against the Antlers. Managed to watch the second leg of their game vs Suwon yesterday. They looked to me like a side who prefer to outscore opposition rather than seeing games out. Their goal scoring record has been much better than that of ours in this year's ACL (23 goals to our 17) and they will surely pose a tough challenge to our defenders who did very well contending ACL's top two goal scorers (El Arabi of Al Duhail and Bounedjah of Al Sadd). For any of the sides winning this final will make the greatest day in their history and the supporters will remember the occasion for the rest of their days. I would have loved to travel with Persepolis to the beautiful mainland of Japan but our economic situation in Iran is so bad the idea is already sounds like financial suicide :))

4. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Welcome @Mehdi93 and thank you for sharing your thoughts and giving us insights about your team.

Best of luck for both teams.

Mehdi93 repped this.
  5. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    AFC Champions League Final (1st leg):
    Kashima Antlers X Persepolis (2-0)

Good win for Kashima.
    I hope they can take on pressure playing in front of 100000 spectators next week in Azadi.
    It wouldn't be an easy task. Good luck.

Samurai Warrior and Majster2 repped this.
  6. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    One goal and they'll be alright.

7. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Kashima's starting line-up for tonight's ACL final second-leg:

They can only lose the title if they lose by a 3-goal deficit or lose 0-2 and the match headed into extra-time and then penalties.

Given Kashima's excellent away form and the fact that Persepolis will attack to off-set the first-leg score and this will open gals in the Iranian defence, in addition to the fact that Persepolis has not been scoring much in this tournament (mostly 1 or 2 goals per game), I highly doubt Kashima will not emerge victorious, unless they shocked under the pressure of the huge audience at Azadi stadium.

8. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Kashima are ACL champions for the first time in their history!!!
    It's also another back to back wins for the J-League teams after 2007 & 2008 seasons.
    Congrats!

Majster2 and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  9. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    YES, they did it!!!

Goalless draw and a relatively clumsy game, with Kwon Sun-Tae pulling some great saves to deny the Irananian team from scoring.

Suzuki got injured by the 79th minute and was replaced by Nagaki. He recieved the MVP award of the tournament.
    Hopefully, his injury is not serious to deny him from participating in Japan's NT next week's friendlies.

Kwon Sun-Tae won the ACL title for the third time in his career, he already won it twice with Jeonbok in 2006 and 2016. Not sure if he is the only player to win the title three times.
    By the way, he seems more solid than both Kim Jin-Heyon (Cerezo) and Kim Seung-Gyu (Vissel).

Kashima did it at last!! This is the only tournament they have never won before in either the domestic or continental level.

Congratulations and well done.

Samurai Japan repped this.