2018-19 Roster Movement Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Nov 30, 2018.

1. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Counter Attack had some discussion last night about our CF situation with Sam Stejskal. There was talk of Ola Kamara for Opara. Just talk about how that would be mutually beneficial trade, not insinuating that this was a rumor or anything. I thought that was interesting.

2. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I mean, we lose Opara and we're suddenly incredibly thin at CB. That's not ideal.

And I'm not sure Ola is our guy. I'm sure he'd be okay though.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I remember the season we used 8 center backs.

4. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't qualify Besler, a LaLiga player making over $1M per year, a Hungarian international and Graham Smith as incredibly thin.

Compare CBs to CFs and there's a HUGE contrast in financial investment.

mschofield and BenDover repped this.
  5. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I think some of the pundits have some interesting points, they don’t have the long term vision and insider info that PV has about the striker issue. This guy seems to think PV made a dumb error trading Rubio
    https://mlsmultiplex.com/2018/12/21/sporting-kc-peter-vermes-explaining/

I can generally agree but have to think that PV is smarter than to go into a CONCACAF campaign without a potent attack. I can’t help but think another trade is in the works.

mschofield repped this.
  6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    As long as Robb doesn't tweet that we're looking at some #9s, I'll hold out hope.

:p

kcscsupporter repped this.
  7. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may be a long shot, but Marco Fabian is out of favor at has current club Eintracht Frankfurt and his contract expires at the end of the season. He is listed at about 3 mil Euro but I’m guessing could be acquired for less. To my way of thinking, Fabian would be a perfect fit for SKC and very successful in MLS. Plus, he would really be comfortable playing in CONCACAF games against the big Mexican teams. I think SKC has got to be going for guys like this if they want to compete for an MLS cup.

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's a 10, isn't he? I like the idea of upgrading whenever possible, but with Felipe, Ilie, Roger, Rowe, Busio, Croizet, Kuzain and we can hope Medranda again, our midfield is not a weakness, is it?
    I agree that he could do well in MLS, though. And while PV is talking up Rowe as a 10 he's more of what we have, another 8 (busio excepted). Actually, I'd rather see Busio get a bunch more time.

9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree, and I would add that the writer doesn't quite get what being "objective" means.

10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fontas looked like the deal when he played. He's played quite well against much better attacks than he will see in CONCACAF or MLS, and Vermes and co obviously rate him, given what he gets paid. Now, maybe he was brought in to move Besler from the lineup, but i get the sense that even if Opara stays, Ike is seeing more of the bench.
    That said, I've heard this suggestion from a couple folks, and while it is nice and tidy, a very good CB for a very good striker, that isn't often see as a straight swap. We'd have to toss in either another player or cash. LA has good defenders on their roster, they just suck as a unit.
    Would not mind seeing Ola in Sporting Blue, though.

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it reads like a slightly more coherent Cauldron FB page post.

KCFutbol and AndyMead repped this.
  12. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd love to see fabian in kc.

13. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This piece on what Celtic wants over the break does not mention him and says they are most in need of a center forward. I love him, but is a lone striker? Brenden Rogers runs a 4-2-3-1. Their starting striker, and backup striker, are out and they've subbed in a 19 year old who basically plays the role Russell has played (prefers wide left, but also quite good wide right). But why would celtic want to bring in a much older square peg to fit into their round striker hole. On the left, he'd be competing with Scott Sinclair, the ManCity hero who wasn't good enough when they started buying nothing but superstars (holy crap, he's only 29?), and the guy on their right in midfield is the team's leading scorer this season.
    That was the long version.
    Short version, f'ing hell. I join you in your hope.

15. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And I hope it isn't true because Russell was great in 2018 but tradition says he will be better in 2019. after having a year to adjust to a new team, new league, new continent. Still, the heart wants etc.

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say it's bull shit and I fully expected these sorts of rumors about him anyway this winter because of how good a season he had and his Scotland recall. Every single comment from him or about him would be construed by the Scottish press as hints at a move to return to Scotland. In fact I wouldn't expect this to be the last one we hear about him this winter.

Savage_Sam repped this.
  17. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Guardian reports that Celtic is in pole position to sign Weah on loan from PSG. Russell as well is possible but would be kind of odd given their current position and the form of their players. Unless he’s seen as really cheap depth.

18. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joey Piatczyc is at the MLS Combine. Former SKC Academy player. He's kinda old to consider much of a prospect (he is a 5 year college player due to a medical redshirt) but he put up stats at West Virginia. Any reason why we wouldn't consider using a Homegrown Contract for him? Does he fit the criteria (meaning did he train with SKC during his college years enough to apply)? Everything I've seen has him listed between a low 1st round and lower 2nd round pick. It seems like he'd be someone we'd take a 1 year flier on similar to Matt Lewis and Zach Wright last year prior to the draft. He's being rated higher than both of them.

Roster spots don't appear to be an issue (we're at 26 of 30) and could probably use another low cost player there. You'd think we'd want to sign him, draft players in round 1-4 and maybe sign the best couple to SKC and others to SPR? Adding him would be like adding a 2nd round pick to our 5 options.

Just curious if anyone knew anything more about this. Didn't he have family who worked for the organization (like a dad who worked for the Academy)?

19. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Does he play in a position that isn't stacked with depth and youth?

20. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He plays an attacking mid typically ... which I think if his work rate is acceptable, means he could play either wing or the #8 spot as well. IMO ... it's not an issue of "are we already deep there" because with your last 4 roster spots, you either have the cap space to make a significant signing for 1 (maybe 2) and then you fill the last 2 with the most talented players you can find and have them play at SPR. You're not likely using spots 27-30 during SKC games most years anyways. If Joey's a player that's rated a 2nd round pick ... and you have your 4 picks in your normal spot, why not sign him via Homegrown and have him battle it out with your 4 picks for rosters spots (and SPR contracts) and see how it plays out. It would be like bringing him in for a "trial" because that contract isn't guaranteed (see Zach Wright's duration on the squad in 2018).

21. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I understand that it wouldn't be about immediate impact or anything. The question is more of if it would be a fight to sign him, because if it is and if he is always buried behind a better, younger player in Busio, it might even be a negative for the player to sign with us.

But you're probably right. Snagging, signing, and Rangering promising youths is a solid move.

I'm just dying for more offseason news. Ours preferably, but even enjoy other teams'.

22. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, offseason news is needed. Quiet through the holiday's is fine, but now I need something.

I don't know the advantage of signing a HG deal vs going into the draft either ... and it's quit possible SKC just doesn't rate the kid, I don't know. I just think the MLS draft has turned into such a lottery that if you have the ability to add to your options with a low risk/low cost HG deal that you should possibly take it. I know they have limits on numbers of HG's signed in a year so maybe that's in play, I don't know.

And I honestly think Busio is great, but having Joey P at Swope Park passing assists to Harris and Freeman would help them develop too. I don't think you limit signing a young #10 because of Busio because we could sell him too. I'm not above selling players or thinking that's not an option!

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, a lot of what I have been reading projects Piatczyc as a winger at the next level, not a 10.

Blando13 repped this.
  24. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think my argument FOR signing him as a homegrown changes. I think he likely brings some positional flexibility. I think he has production that surpass's the 2 homegrown college grads from last year (not to mention they weren't Combine invites or discussed as potential 2nd round picks).

25. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So, as I do most evenings, I was checking to see if the Russell rumor was back, and it is not. but I did stumlbe across this, from MLS of all places, in their roundup for 2019.
    Projected starting XI (4-3-3, right to left): GK Tim Melia – Graham Zusi, Ike Opara, Matt Besler, Seth Sinovic – Ilie, Roger Espinoza, Felipe Gutierrez – Daniel Salloi, Erik Hurtado, Johnny Russell.
    Does anyone see Hurtado as the front runner? It doesn't sound as if Vermes does. It's odd, because sometimes the MLS site is tied in on stuff like this, direct info from the hive mind. I'm guessing this is just someone taking wild ass guesses based on nothing.