2018-19 Roster Movement Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Nov 30, 2018.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #1 vividox, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    ROSTER MOVEMENT:

IN:
    12/14: Rodney Wallace (Free Agency / Vancouver Whitecaps)
    12/14: Erik Hurtado (Vancouver Whitecaps)
    12/18: Botond Baráth (Budapest Honved FC)
    12/18: Kelyn Rowe (New England Revolution)
    01/11: Kamar Marriott (SuperDraft)
    01/11: Camden Riley (SuperDraft)
    01/14: Frankie Martinez (SuperDraft)
    02/05: Abdul Rwatubyaye (Rayon Sports FC)

OUT:
    11/30: Cristian Lobato (option declined)
    11/30: Kharlton Belmar (option declined)
    11/30: Amer Didic (option declined)
    11/30: Brad Evans (option declined)
    11/30: Colton Storm (option declined)
    12/18: Diego Rubio (Colorado Rapids)
    01/05: Khiry Shelton (SC Paderborn)
    01/28: Ike Opara (Minnesota United)

LOAN (IN):

LOAN (OUT):

CURRENT APPROXIMATE DEPTH CHART:
    GK - Melia; Zendejas; Dick
    CB - Besler; Fontas; Baráth; Rwatubyaye; Smith; Marriott^; Martinez^
    FB - Zusi; Sinovic; Wallace; Lindsey
    DM - Espinoza; Ilie; Riley^
    AM - Gutierrez; Busio; Medranda"; Wan Kamal
    WF - Russell; Rowe; Croizet; Salloi; Gerso
    CF - Nemeth; Hurtado

* Option
    ^ Out of contract / not officially signed
    " Disabled list

International Players: Baráth; Croizet; Fontas; Gutierrez; Russell; Rwatubyaye; Salloi

TIMELINE OF EVENTS:
    11/28: Sinovic contract extended through 2019
    11/30: Options declined on Lobato, Belmar, Didic, Evans, and Storm
    11/30: Options exercised on Dick, Zendejas, Smith, and Rubio
    12/14: Rodney Wallace signed as a Free Agent
    12/14: Erik Hurtado acquired from Vancouver Whitecaps for a 2020 2nd round and 2021 1st round draft pick
    12/18: Botond Baráth acquired from Budapest Honved FC (Hungary)
    12/18: Kelyn Rowe acquired from New England Revolution and $300k allocation money acquired from Colorado Rapids in exchange for Diego Rubio (Colorado)
    01/05: Khiry Shelton signs with SC Paderborn (Germany) on a free transfer
    01/11: Kamar Marriott selected with the 21st pick in the SuperDraft
    01/11: Camden Riley selected with the 45th pick in the SuperDraft
    01/14: Frankie Martinez selected with the 69th pick in the SuperDraft
    01/28: Ike Opara traded to Minnesota United for $900k (+100k conditional) in allocation
    02/05: Abdul Rwatubyaye acquired from Rayon Sports FC

2. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  3. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #3 vividox, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  4. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After last nights game, I say our biggest needs are:

No. 9 - a player that offers both hold up and goal scoring. Not a player that offers either or.

A goon. I'm tired of seeing hacks like Beckerman/Chara/Alonso foul us repeatedly with no retaliation. Normally this player is a No. 6 or a center back, but none of our players at those positions hit hard. We used to have Collin and Espinoza. Our current center backs don't play that way and Espinoza has lost his will to enforce.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    vividox repped this.
  6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also option pick ups/declines are due to the league today by noon.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To go along with Ilie, per my notes, Lobato, Belmar, Didic, Storm, Zendejas, and Smith all have options to pick up, they're not out of contract.

Proof Lobato has an option
    https://www.sportingkc.com/post/201...8-year-old-spanish-midfielder-cristian-lobato

I'm not going to dig through everyone else.

vividox repped this.
  8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So is Fontas not in this list because of something I missed? I would expect him to play a role next season

vividox repped this.
  9. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    anyone know the status of nemeth? from what i remember, when we got him it was mentioned that revolution would pay part of his salary - I assume that would'nt be the case this season? His salary would be enormous for a (at least currently) third string center forward.

10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I do think we're in a very different position than we've been in during recent close seasons. I could see counting this as a very successful class if we add two player who would force their way into the 18. Of course, Evans is a huge loss, so we'd need, well, a bop it game for road trips or something, as well.
    Upgrade at backup keeper, account for Roger's age with a top level box to box (he could be the hard man LukeD wants, and then it's a couple ifs. Is Zusi able to give us another year at Zusi level at RB? If not, is it time to start Lindsey? If Zusi is good to go for another year, should JL be a more consistent starter on the left? Is Medranda done?
    As for a 9, we're in a very different situation than we were at this time last year. If we can find a perfect fit of a 9, we should certainly grab him, If not, i didn't finish this season thinking attack was our problem. Rubio is a decent option. Shelton brings quite a bit to the table, I look forward to seeing Nemeth after a preseason with us.
    If we can hold on to Russell, Salloi, Gerso and Croizet, that's a substantial amount of talent for MLS.
    I think Busio takes a step forward next year, though that may mean 10 to 15 games. Kuzan should also be more of a presence.
    I expect Fontas to start at least half a season's worth of games, unless we released him and I missed that, in which case, he probably won't. He is a nice answer to our issues with Besler's age and whatever Ike may bring.
    But this team is pretty solid, pretty deep. Never pass on an upgrade, but this feels like a tinker year, not a rebuild.

11. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I just missed him. Thanks.

12. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I thought Besler, Ike, and Fontas are all within like three years of each other.

Anyways, assuming we maintain our starting xi, I agree with the breakdown above. I'm concerned about Nemeth and his lack of impact. Looks like he'll be some serious sunk cost for a minute. Losing him or Croizet could hurt but it might be worth the financial freedom. Gerso, Salloi, Russell, Rubio, and I guess Shelton are all must stays.

Midfield needs attention. Roger's defensive contributions were just too light this year. Especially with Ilie and Gutierrez, two classy players but not really paradigms of grit and muscle. We of course need to see real backups for Roger and Ilie next season, but I would not be upset to see a guy brought in not just to help Espinosa but to possibly strengthen that position.

Defense is all about managing aging players. Besler is playing at a higher level than I've ever seen him. Ike is not. Zusi needs to at a minimum split minutes with Lindsey. Same on the left, with whoever fights for the spot over Seth.

Anyways. Midfield depth/muscle is my first concern. Defensive youth second. All while juggling a few odd contracts that limit their spending power.

Assuming guys like Salloi aren't sold this offseason.

13. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, youth - especially defensive youth - is a big one.

32 Espinoza
    32 Zusi
    31 Besler
    31 Sinovic
    29 Opara
    29 Fontas

Opara basically counts as a 35 year old because of the way his body breaks down. But that's our entire starting backline, the first CB off the bench, and our box-to-box. We definitely saw the defensive lapses early in the season, we need to start working on getting guys like Lindsey and Didic more minutes, and if they aren't cut out to be the next generation, we need to start finding players who are.

kcfooty, mschofield and Inca Roads repped this.
  14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not to pick on anyone, but to add to your case it is worth noting that Evans is 33. Players can go downhill fast.

15. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Really thought we'd hear the roster update by now. I'm super curious. Bright side to the season being over is I love the silly season.

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently we’ll hear at some point today, probably at 5

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really depends on how it was in the trade. I still remember years ago that after we traded van den Bergh we covered a large portion of his salary for the rest of his contract

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kcscsupporter repped this.
  19. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

20. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won’t shed any tears over Evans leaving. That was a complete waste of money. I hope the others find a good home.

Glad to see the keepers, Smith, and Rubio get their options picked up. However, I think the Shelton experiment needs to come to an end. I for one would be OK with him finding another place to play. Yea, he is good at hold up play and passing, but the team needs a complete striker. Having a guy at the 9 spot who can’t score goals is not what SKC needs.

21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Evans is another example of why the MLS free agent market might not be for us as we look towards 2019. Mapp was the first. That's two swings, two bad misses.
    So perhaps we should not be overly tempted by Wondo, Sapong or Bunbury this close season, who look to be the best striker options at least potentially in the free agent pool.
    Question regarding those we declined: Does Belmar have a future on an MLS roster? Is he our first classic tweener, stars a level down, just isn't good enough for MLS? I wonder if he can't find a spot. Is his case one of just needing a run of games? In any case, best of luck to him and hope he finds a spot with Cinci or Nashville or Miami or someone.

22. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't understand how we can sit here and complain about the offense when we just set the Franchise record for goals scored in a season. I can't understand how we can sit here and complain about offense when in a second leg, which would send us to MLS Cup final, we concede 3 goals at home.

Listen, i get that Shelton and Rubio aren't sexy. Both of them have weaknesses. But stop. I can't listen to this "We need someone who can score 20 and hold the ball up and combine and make runs". Just stop. Point me to a player in MLS that does all those things right now. Not even Joseph Martinez can hold the ball up effectively. It's insane to me that we are essentially asking for a forward with attributes of a top 20 world club, to come and fix our team who just set a franchise record in goals scored.

It's time to face the truth. Zusi, Roger, Ille, Besler, Seth. Beloved guys, club legends. But in terms of 2018 defense was the weak-point in big moments. It's my opinion that we need someone who can cover more ground in midfield, whether that's at the Dmid or Box to Box role. Guttierez is great in a Attacking mid role, but he either isn't as much of an engine as we thought, or isn't being asked to be an engine. We can get torn through on the counter with ease by top teams in this league. That's our problem, not a #9. Unless you're trying to win games 6-5.

Sachsen, jayhonk and vividox repped this.
  23. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I agree with Sparks27. I have no problem with our offense or the prospects of our offense (so long as Shelton is no longer our regular starter - Rubio has earned a shot at that to start the season). Our defense needs to get better and younger, as the offensive firepower in the league keeps getting stronger. If we can land more scorers in the off season, go ahead and upgrade, but that cannot be our main focus.

24. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland - 3 shots 3 goals. SKC a half million shots and 2 goals. That's the difference. Not the lack of SKC defense. We gave Portland two legit chances, they converted. That is big game soccer. Their attackers were good enough, ours were not. For as crappy as you say the defense was, they gave up two chances.

Style of play puts a ton of pressure on the defense of this team. If we are going to continue with this style of play (which we are), I agree that the biggest need is a No. 8 that covers grounds (Espinoza looks cooked), and we could also use more speed at both wingback positions. We are fine at CB and fine at No. 6.

In addition to those needs, the team also needs a better option at the No. 9. Shelton (can't score), Rubio (too hot and cold, plus only scores when he doesn't start) and Nemeth (invisible, best play was a dummy) just aren't reliable enough. This player doesn't need to be a huge money guy, but does need to be someone that is more reliable. It's not that hard to find a big/strong player that scores 7-10 goals and can also hold the ball.

25. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    We need a replacement for Roger that can give more energy for a higher percentage of the game. In past years he has been an important cog in the machine and I don't think its a coincidence that he is losing some bite and energy from his game at the same time our defense is taking a step back. It isn't all his fault but I think its a significant factor.

Blando13 and BenDover repped this.