Review: 2018/19 Emerging Portuguese Players

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by The Special One, Jul 8, 2018.

1. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Last years thread was quite bare, even though we had some great talent breakthrough.

I’m personally looking forward to Seeing the wolves project in the EPL. A player who hasn’t gotten a lot of love but has huge potential is LB Ruben Vinagre.

At benfica Felix and Gedson look like real stars in the making. Umaro Embalo had a dissapointing u17s Euro but has all the ability in the world. Jose Gomes seems to be not fulfilling his potential young players often have a plateau season before kicking off, I hope that’s the case this year for him.

Porto has some interesting CBs coming up and hopefully Rui Pedro has a strong season somewhere on loan.

Future does look strong, Portuguese are a pessimistic bunch so don’t feel like you can’t post just because some twat will poo poo your post.

2. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Jota is whom I'm looking forward to watch and develop.

The Special One repped this.
  3. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm also excited for this upcoming season and seeing what the Wolves can do.

Jota is an exciting player for sure, and I have no doubt will be called to the NT sometime soon.

For me personally, if I had to choose 1 guy that is most likely to be considered world class in a few years, it has to go to Diogo Dalot. I know most people don't get excited over fullbacks, but I have been tracking him closely since the 2016 u17 Euro and his upside seems ridiculous. He has gone the opposite direction of Jose Gomes since then.

The Special One repped this.
  4. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yes I’m intrigued by Dalot. A lot. ;) But I always worry when such a young and not yet established player moves to such a big club and will be hard pressed for 1st team minutes. Jose there helps, I guess.

Nani_17 repped this.
  5. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Jota scored the winning goal in a friendly against FC Basel

6. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Dalot has always showed maturity beyond his years so he probably the best equipped out of any the Portuguese prospects to deal with the pressure

dipluso and HandofAbel repped this.
  7. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Renato Sanches scored an awesome free kick against PSG

RedBullSeven and nbstriker8 repped this.
  8. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Dont be suprised to see Alfa Semedo dominate this season. Can possibly represent portugal in future

benfica is carrying portugal in youth production

Gedon, Alfa, Felix, Embalo. Meanwhile sporting who were once one of the best academies has now became one of the worst

9. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Anyone follow FC Porto closely, Diogo Quieros has been starting friendlies and obviously with the dearth of CB options national team fans will be hoping he may start for Porto this season. Really talented ball playing CB but luckily he 19s have some adequate cover.

10. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007

I believe it's Diogo Leite that has been starting several games for Porto alongside the Brazilian Felipe.
    Sergio Conceicao refused to allow Helio Sousa to bring Leite to the U19 Euros. He allowed Diogo Quieros to go to the Euro instead.
    I caught a couple of Porto's pre-season games and he does look Really Really good for his age. He looks like Portugal's best Centre Back under the age of 20.

I like the fact that he's a lefty. Most of our Central Defenders are right footed.

11. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    He looks so comfortable on the ball and perhaps too comfortable at times but seems to have a huge ceiling. Conceição is Porto through and through so I gave high hopes that he wants players in his XI who have passion for the badge.

Dan82 repped this.
  12. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Rather annoyingly Dias looked terrible for benfica first up, hopefully just a one off. Obviously aged son and Felix have got all the plaudits but Alfa Semedo looks a really good player. U21s are going to be real quality for the foreseeable future

13. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Dias had a bad game last night.

Pretty impressed by Alfa Semedo, however

14. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    *GEDSON not aged son. Bloody auto correct

Trincao & Jota geez if youth tournaments were anything to go by which their not you would think they are about to have breakout seasons for their clubs

15. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Alfa Semedo needs to go straight to the senior squad, He is the Alpha of all Semedos. He dominates absolutely everyone in from of him! Joao Moutinho and Adrien should just retire and allow Alfa Semedo to ******** there wives and take there starting role on the senior squad. He is such an Alpha he takes up 2 spots on a roster.

Bacalhau repped this.
  16. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Real talk.. this guy looks solid..

is it far fetched to say Alfa Semedo can be OUR N'golo Kante? he seems to have the work ethic.. the anticipation.. the aggressiveness.. good ball skill..

the potential of Portugals midfield is unreal.. its getting to the point there is no spot for the majority of them... wasting so much talent either on the bench.. or not on the squad at all..

*quick solution to aid this problem.. shift Danilo to CB*

17. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's literally 9 inches taller than ngolo kante

Bacalhau repped this.
  18. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Just watched the 1st half of the Liverpool-United preseason game. Young Rafael Camacho looks fantastic playing RB in Klopps system. The boy has good pace and vision.

Dan82 repped this.
  19. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    RB is most definitely not an area of need at the moment. I sincerely feel sorry for a lot of the young guys coming up, as unless they are generational type players, they got no spot on this team.

20. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Not sure if that is some sort of sarcastic remark, or simply an observation. I am aware of Kante's height.. my point was the type of play.. the anticipation Semedo demonstrates, the work engine, non-stop movement, quality on the ball.. very impressive.

This is the type of guy who William should watch out for..

If Semedo continues to progress and makes strides.. could you imagine Semedo/Sanches in the middle of our squad? it MIGHTTTT lack some creativity however, but in terms of work rate an bull like mentalities.. whos going to win balls when going up against them?

21. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Cancelo was immense today playing as a LW.

22. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Semedo with his height and ability would be better fit for a Pogba type role than Kante.

23. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah he's box to box.. He's competing for Adrien and moutinho spot.

24. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #24 Sumol, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    We need to cap Alfa Semedo ASAP.

He is Guinean. Hopefully Eder being our hero has convinced Alfa that his soul belongs to us. I don't think it's anything to stress over since it's hard to envision him playing for a national team that will never get anywhere (Guinea) but i just want to get that cap out of the way with his kind of potential.

dipluso repped this.
  25. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    [​IMG]

All he needs is one finger to get opposition off the ball.

Bacalhau, AlexJones19 and nbstriker8 repped this.