2018-19 Bundesliga Matchday 5: Borussia Dortmund vs 1. FC Nürnberg

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by BVBFNM, Sep 25, 2018.

1. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I don't think there is any point having opinions if you don't have convictions in them.

I want nothing more than people to quote and point out when I think I am wrong. It's good for me and it's good for the board.

I personally have to refute the arguments and gather more evidence to see if I am really right or the evidence put forth shows I am wrong and I need to rethink my position. It's good, because how else I am going to know I am wrong, biased or have misjudged something if no one tells me. Then it's good for the board, because it forces us to provide stats/eidence which others can look at and make up their own minds.

If you have the time, I want everyone to raise points they think are wrong. It promotes healthy discussion and everyone learns.
    I admit I should not have had that in the post addressed to you. It was a general point addressed to others.
    As for this point, Weigl and Dahoud actually have a high-water mark in their very young careers, which Pulisic does not. Also I don't think Weigl or Dahoud have been good the last year, just that Pulisic has been worse. If rating them last season they would all get failing grades.

However, this season with the new manager the former have shown more promise.

I think a great quote to sum up stats is as follows.

"Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital"

I think stats are important, but they don't tell the whole story.

However, here is a stat concerning Diallo. We have the 2nd best defensive record conceding only 5 goals in the league and 2 of them came when he played left back. Again it's not everything and it is early, but it strongly suggest overall he is playing at a higher stat.

I personally think Weigl and Dahoud have been very good, but midfielder stats are probably the hardest to use as evidence. I will say that in many games this season the team has played considerably better with Dahoud in the side. He has come on and changed many games.

As for Pulisic let's look at the key stats for our attacking players: goals and assist.

Reus 5 goals 3 assist.
    Sancho 1 goal 6 assist
    Paco Alcacer 3 goals 0 assist
    Larsen 2 goals 1 assist.
    Pulisic 2 goals 1 assist
    Wolf 1 goal 0 assist
    Philipp 0 goals 1 assist.

For me the bottom 4 are not doing well enough and are all weaknesses in the team. Philipp, though has the excuse because he has sacrificed himself and been played out of position. Alcacer has very, very limited minutes.

So as I said stats aren't everything, but Pulisic has comparable stats with Larsen with a lot more minutes. Wolf has worse stats and for me should not play, but at least he is much, much better than the other two defensively.

I don't think I am too harsh on Pulisic. I don't think you were here during the time of say Gundogan, a player I thought used the club, but when he was fit I was always full of praise for him, because he was world class.

In my opinion Larsen and Pulisic are actually worse than their stats, because they repeatedly lose the ball as well and aren't great defensively. Pulisic more so than Larsen tends to ruin good attacks, by not passing when he should do and dribbling. Even when he retains possession, this is not something picked up by the stat, because there is no stat for wasting a good opportunity.

MtnGardener repped this.