2018-19 Bundesliga Matchday 24: FC Augsburg vs Borussia Dortmund

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by BVBFNM, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Forgive me for not having a lot of faith in a coach that likely was not first, second or even 3d choice. I still consider him tier II, at best, and out of his depth.

2. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think many posters would agree that Kovac is not great. That said we are really struggling now and after you hammer BMG by 3 or 4 today you become the favorites for the title

3. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I thought expecting Bayern to beat Gladbach by 3 or 4 was exaggerated but they already had a 2:0 lead after 11 minutes. I considered them to be one of the few teams left that could be a challenge for Bayern. At least they get some chances and also scored now but it can also end in a blowout.

As for Kovac, not sure what the problem with him is supposed to be. I would have gladly seen him given a chance in Dortmund. Bayern is in transition and I think that Ribery's and Robben's injury issues were a blessing in disguise for them. I haven't followed them much but everything they do looks faster and more precise. That obviously helps to break down defenses. But they aren't as solid in defense anymore.

4. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tied with a 1 goal difference....

We just scored our 4Kth goal

5. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Favree needs become even more offensive. Witsel and Delaney are not going to cut it. We need Dahoud and Weigl playing. I don't like that Favre is playing the same under performing players.

Why do Diallo, Witsel, Delaney and Larsen deserve to start?

Our biggest problem is central midfield. None of our central midfielders have any long range of passing so we can't switch play. This is a problem but the biggest problem is Delaney and Witsel move the ball too slowly and Delaney has started hiding. He is never available for the pass. Hakimi is going through a very bad patch at the moment, but he doesn't have options. Dahoud has many faults, but he has unbelievable stamina and movement. He is in perpetual motion and midfielders just don't have the legs to keep up with him. He creates space and links up play.

The league may already be gone, so I would go with this team for every other match.

------Burki---------
    LP---Akanji--Zagadou---Hakimi
    Sancho----Weigl---Dahoud---Gotze/Reus
    ------------Gotze/Reus
    ------------------Alcacer--------------

Gotze and Reus can rotate positions. Play that line up against Tottenham and play it in the league. Bayern are strong favourites now with the match to be played at the Allianz.

Give that young team a chance and experience.

BVBFNM repped this.
  6. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why do you all not cash in on Reus? Dude’s injured more than he plays

7. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    He's made it clear that the only club he wants to play for is Borussia Dortmund. You can't really fault him for that, would you?

8. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Cool I guess...I hated to see Badstuber leave, but at some point you gotta cut your losses? How much are you all paying him while he’s at physio?

9. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    This team would not even be top 4 without Reus. He has actually played nearly every game this season until he missed the last 4 matches.

Money isn't really the issue. We don't have enough money to buy the true superstars and even if we did they would not come.

It's prestige and trophies we need. With the humiliation against Tottenham on a global scale and the conception Dortmund 'bottled' the league, there's no chance of attracting top players.

10. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    There's no way we should be limiting damage for the rest of the season. This is the closest we've been in a while. We should continue going for it. And we should go for a win in Munich. We beat them already this season, we can't surrender or go in with a losing mentality. Come on! I thought that's the best thing about the way Germans play: Play with the same intensity until the game ends.

But we must make changes. Favre must be less conservative. I don't have a problem with Witsel-Delaney, as long as we have creativity coming from Reus + wing players, and optionally from the full backs.

Gotze played better when he moved to the 10 position, last game. I would definitely start with Paco as striker and leave Gotze as a card to play if we need to score late in the game. But still don't bring him in for Paco!

11. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why limit damage? At worst second place and last 16 CL is an improvement on last season. Might as well go balls to the wall from here nothing to lose.

I wish that some day the club can develop the sort of hard nosed winning mentality that's required to consistently challenge strongly for trophies. Not sure with the current management that will ever happen but you can alway hope.

12. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's a lost cause to support this management. Aki Watzke is looking for his own successor and it might just be Zorc. This guy has zero management capabilities to add to his minimal expertise in football technicalities.

13. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I don't think playing that young team is giving up. It's actually the group of players that can play at the highest level. We need to trust they do it, because the current selection is not coping.

Dortmund have now gained the respect of the Bundesliga teams and they are sitting back and hitting us on the counter. We need quick technical passes. Our matches are no longer dog fights and the teams are not coming onto us.

Play the kids and we still have a chance at the league. Keep playing Delaney/Witsel and we will end up fighting for top 4.

14. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Delaney and certainly Witsel have their use but you need to adjust your formation to the circumstances. In a game where the other team only sits back and when there is no midfield battle, the combination of Witsel and Delaney is just not needed and hurts us. Delaney was really good against Schalke who have capable midfielders. He also had his moments against teams that leave space for our wingers to run into. But the bottom league teams just defend with 10 men, then punt the ball forward and pray for something to happen. Augsburg wouldn't have scored without our insane mistakes. But with no creativity, speed and no moments of surprise from the CMs, our chances were never going to get developed from these two. As a result, the opponent can just concentrate on the few players who can actually create something like Sancho and put 2-3 guys on him.

astrophyz repped this.
  15. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Making such blatant errors like playing Delaney against Augsburg shows that our coaching staff aren't competent enough to be in the BL. Our players are intelligent enough to follow instructions specific to the competition. How can that same squad suck so bad within a span of 6 weeks?

Götze is fantastic in the no. 10 position, yet he's played up ahead where he's ineffective.

Delaney is an upgrade on Rode, not Gundogan. Our management simply cannot realize that in today's football penalty box strikers like Mario Gomez, journeyman dimensionless midfielders like Gonzalo Castro and

16. Scheherazade

Scheherazade Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    #41 Scheherazade, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    If not for the fact that I am a Dortmund fan, this place would be a laughable goldmine of crazy postmatch meltdown ranting.

I get that some of you are pissed beyond logic, but how are our management, formation, local fans and LF to blame when both goals conceded were down to colossal feckups from players playing their first full season as a senior pro or players playing out of position?

In the match I watched:
    • Zagadou could not put a foot right from start to finish and made a crucial error for Augsburg's first goal.
    • Hakimi looked like he never played right fullback before in his life and made the crucial error for Augsburg's second.
    • Diallo once again was shaky on the left.
    • Dortmund were not short of chances to score and had twice the number of shots as Augsburg. Kobel had the performance of his life.

17. Scheherazade

Scheherazade Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    If there was a way Sammer, Watzke, Zorc or Favre could do their job better and guarantee that Hakimi would not have any more colossal mental cockups that result in a pass to the opposing striker, lets hear it. No amount of coaching, formation changing or shouting in a player's face can prevent the kind of boneheaded errors that led to the Augsburg goals. Maybe yes, management should not be relying on a bunch of kids in the first place.

Our defence is a horror show because there is no fixed back four and a few of the defenders are newbies who lack the experience to play out of position like a pro. Zagadou and Diallo get thrown into the deepend of carrying heavy defensive responsibilities the moment they return from injury. Zagadou missed a header and had bad give aways in the Tottenham first leg, he did not look fully ready and now his confidence looks shot. Diallo and Hakimi have to fill in for positions outside their comfort zone and learn on the job. Anyone playing their first or second season as senior footballers is bound to have a few bad games here and there, even Sancho.

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that we are relying on inexperienced players like Hakimi Sancho Diallo Zagadou Larsen to play like champions in waiting week in week out. They went beyond all the expectations in the first half of the season, but delivering a league title now could be a bridge too far for them at this point in their career. That is a possibility we have to accept.

18. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Simple. They're not to blame. But they are to blame for not fielding a more capable team on the attack side. Defensive mistakes happen, but why are they fielding a team that's not creative enough to score goals?

And why are we not prioritizing championships a little more? A lot of moves from management point to that. And I can only assume that (as a publicly traded company) they are more focused on maximizing monetary success.

19. Scheherazade

Scheherazade Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    We had 17 shots. 8 on target 6 off target 3 blocked. Finishing the chances created was the problem. Paco needs to start every game as striker with Götze in a creative midfield role from now.

20. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Exactly. But the type of shots that Larsen was taking wasn't the best. I'd rather have Guerreiro provide Paco (and also shoot sometimes.)
    Gotze was good, but Reus is better at #10, over the season. I don't mind Gotze coming in for Reus to rest the latter. But Gotze isn't good in any other position.

Also I think the reason Hakimi was better on the left is that he can combine better with Guerreiro, whereas Sancho creates chances on his own.