2018-19 Bundesliga Matchday 20: Eintracht Frankfurt vs Borussia Dortmund

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by BVBFNM, Feb 1, 2019.

1. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Starting tomorrow the games are going to come thick and heavy with an away match against Eintracht Frankfurt. It's been about three years since we last beat them at the Waldstadion if I'm not mistaken, so let's change that trend.

2. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Bürki
    LP Weigl Diallo Hakimi
    Witsel Delaney
    Sancho Reus Guerreiro
    Alcacer

A win in Frankfurt would be huge but it will be hard. I expect it to be a physically tough game. They have a strong offense and there's no room for errors.
    Bayern play in Leverkusen without Neuer and Thiago but nowadays it seems debatable how much they lose in strength without Neuer.

3. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    1:0 Reus. Guerreiro deserves much praise for his run to make it that easy for Reus.

4. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Reus misses two great chances to increase the lead and almost decide the game. We need to convert one of those but the attack so far looks good.

5. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    1:1 after we didn't look good in defense yet again. Annoying when one thinks back at the chances we had.

6. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We have 45 min to win this thing. It's doable. They cannot play like this beyond 60min.

7. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    We were not good in defense and in finishing first half. Hope it doesnt bite us

8. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Weigl has been excellent. He's better than Diallo and Toprak is no comparison.

Bayern are losing. Damn I hope Bayer can keep it up and jam a few more in.

kbvb repped this.
  9. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That was disappointing. If not for Bayer playing really well and taking all 3 points this could have been a bad weekend for us. Let's hope Bayern enter a tailspin with this one and we fight it out with BMG.

10. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    When you're desperate for a goal I'm not sure that taking off Sancho, Guerreiro and Alcácer is the best way to go. Reus' profligacy really cost Dortmund today.

11. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    The team seemed content in the last minutes to just take the draw. They probably had the result in Leverkusen in mind.
    The lead is 7 points now but a win was possible here. I expected to lose points against Leipzig and Frankfurt and the games went better than expected. The team is playing good football right now because the basics are right and the team has found itself.

Sancho needs to improve a bit, too many lost balls but the potential with him is always visible. Alcacer has good ideas but the execution is often unlucky. It seems he still works best coming from the bench. I think these two were the only ones that were a bit below the other starting players. LP at times looks like he's in his 20s again, both in offense and defense. It's almost as if seeing Hakimi play has given him a boost. Weigl was great overall, I think it's his game intelligence that is helping him on that position. I was expecting Diallo to be more cautious, especially when partnered with Weigl. He made a few bad decisions. But I can't complain too much. I didn't expect to increase the lead after these 3 games.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  12. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Weigl was our best player today. Reus wasted two glorious chances which would have won us the match. Expecting Alcacer to play 90 min every 5th game is not going to keep him sharp.

The only positive is that we have now extended the lead.

Witsel, Delaney, Hakimi and LP along with Raph were all very good. The forwards still lack that chemistry sometimes.

13. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Guess we'll have to wait a little longer to beat Eintracht Frankfurt at home. Alcacer is starting to look like a super sub, but let's look on the bright side, we still picked up a point whilst Bosz did us a favour by beating those scumbags 3-1, and you can't expect to win all the time.

Now let's hope our players take out their frustrations on Bremen this Tuesday and beat them within 90 minutes.

14. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    It's way too premature to label Alcacer as a "super sub" only without giving him a run of games as the undisputed starter. It's tough to gauge a player off of playing one 90 min game and then 5 successive games of substitute appearances. I thought today that he was more unlucky then anything in terms of execution but that can improve with more familiarity with the players.

15. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I feel the exact same way here. He's not the most hard working (likely lack of training) and he's not physically imposing as Lewandowski or Drogba but he's fast, has a wicked shot and presence inside and outside the box. With regular training, match experience and improving midfielders behind him he's got potential.

kbvb, BVBFNM and podrinje repped this.
  16. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Agreed. I think the only thing jolding him up from showing his potential is the lack of game time due to injuries and inactivity while at Barca. That's why he needs to be playing game in game out from the start to bring up his fitness level.

17. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Today was a decent result against a tough opponent. There were a lot of positives, but a few negatives. Reus played well, but he should have been more clinical and ended the match. Raphael had an excellent game.

However, it was worrying how the team was noticeably tired in the 2nd half. It was also a slight concern that Larsen and Pulisic added nothing, apart from losing the ball.

The midfield looked a bit weak, but Dahoud will once again have a chance to cement his place in the team. Delaney is suspended for the next match and I expect Dahoud would have started the cup game. I hope Favre rest a number of players. Hakimi, Reus, Witsel and Sancho could do with a break.

There are 3 extremely tough fixtures coming and we need to win all three.

18. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    They've played 3 competitive games in the last 7 weeks so it'sabit too early to rest anybody just yet

19. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tbf Frankfurt was really solid. BVB had their chance to win in the first half with Reus’s big chances and by exploiting the space behind Kostic. In the second half neither team had any tricks left in the bag to break up the stagnant state.

20. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Still they clearly looked tired. Hopefully they have been putting a hard mini-preseason and are recovering. The games are going to come hard and fast.

21. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Rotation will come back starting with the cup game either way. We need to be fresh and sharp against Hoffenheim. I'm expecting starts for Pulisic, Bruun Larsen and Philipp and playing time for Dahoud against Bremen. Dahoud needs to be ready to replace Delaney. The FBs had a high workload as well this season but there is hardly any depth.