PBP: 2017 Semifinals: POR-ORL, NC-CHI

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Gilmoy, Oct 7, 2017.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O'Sullivan had the best touch of any NC player throughout the whole game; the ball just stuck to her feet. She also played with energy and intensity à la MZ. I'm happy she got the game winner.

blissett and BlueCrimson repped this.
  2. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In last year's semifinals Chicago made the mistake of expecting Press to act as virtually their entire offense for most of the match, which meant she had zero room for error. This of course meant, in many people's eyes, that she also deserved the blame for the loss when she hit the crossbar of an unprotected net in the closing minutes of regulation for what would have been the winning goal.

In this year's match the team seemed to take a step backwards, lacking not only variety in their attack but also persistence. As the commentators noted, they seemed content to have NC have the run of play and the vast majority of the possession, so giving up a goal became almost an eventuality as Chicago's defense continued to get worn down. The brief counterattacks Chicago relied so heavily upon were snuffed out fairly easily by a solid NC defense. I don't know how they expected to win this match with as little offensive effort as they were able to muster.

I would love to see Chicago someday get past the semifinal wall, but this clearly wasn't the way to do it.

blissett repped this.
  3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm just majorly annoyed that neither ORL or CHI will be in the final. POR and WNY/NC already have their trophies. Stop being greedy. (Yes, I know this is sports. I'm just being salty.)

MiLLeNNiuM, blissett and Semblance17 repped this.
  4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I booked a flight to Orlando for next weekend 2 months ago in the hopes the Red Stars will be in the Final. I guess now I'll have an extra day at the theme parks.

As I am a fan of this league and congratulations to the two teams who are in the Final, I personally don't have a desire to watch Portland and Carolina. Same ole, same ole. If even Orlando was in it, I would for sure go. Let me see...what does Disney have going on next Saturday? or maybe even a visit to Universal. They say the Harry Potter Castle is awesome. I haven't seen Shamu in a few years. NWSL Championship...as of now, not interested.

5. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    #30 WWC_Movement, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    You don't wanna see Mewis vs. Horan jumping up for the ball in the midfield on goal kicks?
    That alone is worth 1/16 the price of admission.

Seriously, this Final could have been epic. The worst match up of the 4 is what happened.
    It would have been better for the league to have Morgan/Marta get there.
    Portland would still have their 20,000 fans next year no matter what.
    Chicago's fans needed to see their team win a playoff game.

At least it's not FCKC vs. Seattle again.
    The prophecy shows that only 5 unique franchises combine to win the first 10 titles.
    WNY/Carolina count as one franchise.

6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree that NC deserved the win and Chicago didn't do anything serious to win the game. I just find a little anticlimatic that the semifinal match was decided by an awkward deflection :unsure:: ok, O'Sullivan shot was well taken, but this kind of goals never look "beautiful".
    Oh, well, I guess we can say it was a gritty game, decided by a gritty goal...

BlueCrimson and CoachJon repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Morgan would suggest Epcot. ;)

MiLLeNNiuM, SiberianThunderT and MRAD12 repped this.
  8. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jen Cooper's WoSoCo with Dan Lauletta and Jordan Angeli:
    The Keeper Notes Women’s Soccer Conference
    A casual women’s soccer conference for the hardcore fan and the NWSL newbie, hosted by Jen Cooper

Saturday, October 14, 2017

10 am – 12:30 pm
    at the Courtyard by Marriott in downtown Orlando
    doors open 9:45 am

REGISTRATION NOW OPEN!
    $40 per person/$150 for group of four
    if you register by MONDAY, OCTOBER 9 After Monday, October 9, registration fee is $45 per person.

lil_one repped this.
  9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Oh yes. I plan on it. I will def. go to the English Pub and ask around and see if anyone will tell me what happened. Epcot has it's Food and Wine Fest going on.

MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I may still go just to see some of the festivities probably.

Is anyone here going to be there?

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #36 Cliveworshipper, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    ...and soccer fans in Portland now abed shall think themselves accurs’d they were not there...

CoachJon and Smallchief repped this.
  12. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were but cursed by fate ... to be not born unto a family who held 3 extra tickets at 40 crowns a pop ;)

13. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you have come to PDX if offered a ticket to a good seat? Serious question, I hadn't thought to offer a free ticket here on BS.

14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hey, at about 24 hours from the Championship match the tension is building.... Gilmoy, didn't you open a thread for the Championship match yet? :p