PBP: 2017 Semifinals: POR-ORL, NC-CHI

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Gilmoy, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sat 2017/10/07:
    [POR-ORL]
    12' 1-0 Portland chests ball back to Sinclair at 27m arc right. Sinclair switches left to Klingenberg on Marta(!) at arc top wide left. Klingenberg cuts back to arc top box left, right instep inswings to 3m 1/3 right -- Harris thinks twice, doesn't dive into traffic. Henry is smothered by Krieger but outruns her, stretch-pokes past Harris into back right 2/5 high.

15' 2-0 Heath fk at 16m wide right, crossbody left instep drive inswings fast to 4m 2-left. Sonnett beats Pressley and outjumps Catley, glances a header past Harris, into center back low. That must be a scripted fk play for Portland. Don't let Sonnett run!

2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    23' 2-1 Marta right ck, short to Ubogagu at 1.5m box right, return pass to Marta moving inside to 7m wide right. Marta one-touch chip to 6m 3-right, Pressley outjumps Reynolds and flick-heads across to 4m center. Kennedy wins her duel, outjumps Henry and twist-heads across mouth into left side netting high, over Franch's dive. Too many free headers in the box, no GK can acquire that.

3. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Good game.

I'm feeling sorry for Cat Reynolds who has to deal with Marta on the left side. She is still the best woso player in the world.

Orlando is playing dangerously high. Watch for Raso to outrun somebody and get off a good shot in the second half.

4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just noticed the scoreclock graphic!
    Is this match really sponsored by ... Walt Disney World? :)
    "For all of your celebratory needs -- all around the world" :ROFLMAO:

lil_one and blissett repped this.
  5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    71' 3-1 Franch taps to Menges, she dribbles upfield past Ubogagu's pressure to circle back left, square pass to Horan at circle back right. Fast low chip over Krieger way up at circle back springs Raso 3m past her, through arc right to 13m -- Raso sit-slides one-touch and chips right instep, floats it over Harris at 7m, into 1/4 right 1/2 high. I feel Krieger's gosh-I'm-not-young pain -- Raso has that effect on Obi-Wans everywhere :coffee: it's the hair bow, it flaps as you chase her --

Attendance 18,193! I didn't even know PDX went that high

blissett repped this.
  6. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    82' 4-1 Nadim collects a hot bounce at circle top left going rightward, roams to 24m box right, swings a might-as-well cross to 10m 3-left. Edmonds is isolated by the speed of aggression, jumps straight up at 12m left post but just misses a header. Ball drops to Sinclair, she chases her own rebound to 6m left post and stabs right outstep across mouth, under Harris's left hand into back right low.

Meanwhile, Portland's defense has smothered Orlando all game long, giving them no space for runs and no shot windows.

7. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT 4-1. This shall be a day long remembered :alien:

blissett repped this.
  8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Your play-by-play was awesome as ever Gilmoy. :thumbsup:

I didn't see you mention Morgan (apart from Walt Disnsy's references): did she recover from her Epcot adventure?

9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Last week against Chicago was 21,144: which is currently considered a sellout for Thorns and Timbers games

A new 4,000 seat East stand addition in 2 years.

Selling out a playoff game is tough. account holders have to buy all the seats on their account. I have four seats and it was up to me to fill them on short notice at $40 a pop.

CoachJon repped this.
  10. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando's execution of their gameplan was awful. What they were trying to do wasn't the worst plan ever (far better than what Panama put out last night), but it doesn't matter how good your strategy is if your players can't execute it properly. Don't play a high line and then have your keeper glued to her line.

Monica had a terrible game, Krieger was flat out beaten on at least two of Portland's goals, and Edmonds capped off a poor season with an inexcusable decision to leave Sinclair alone in the box. The only players for Orlando that didn't suck were Kennedy and Catley.

11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The key was the Thorns had some of the top talent in every position, whereas the Pride did NOT. Bringing in stars like Long, Nadim & Brynjarsdottir was the final clincher.

do you think Kennedy will play mid in the W-League or for the Matildas?

12. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Epic, man!

"we shall be remembered
    We few, we happy few, we band of sisters;"

(apologies to Will S.)

Cliveworshipper and blissett repped this.
  13. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Varley also had a couple of passes to no one. I thought Marta did all she could with the triple team.

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Methinks they were definitely missing Camilla...

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  15. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klingenburg looked really bad for both the Thorns and USWNT in 2016. I was ready to see anyone take over her spot.
    This year has been completely different - she has been fantastic all year, and deserves a call-up

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  16. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kling was injured throughout 2016. As I recall, it was a back issue and, for a long time, they couldn't figure out what it was.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  17. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That half was really poor. Both sides producing more turnovers than a bakery.

19. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    In the first half, NC looks the better team. NC is winning in the central midfield.

I don't think anybody on Chicago has played very well except Katie Naughton at center back. Colaprico has a yellow card. Zerboni and O'Sullivan may try to take advantage of that. .

I'd say it's about time to sub out Hoy, move Huerta up top, and put Mautz in the midfield. Chicago has to find some offense. NC is going to get a goal or two. .

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I really wasn't interested in OT. 90'

MiLLeNNiuM and CoachJon repped this.
  21. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overall a very lackluster game, but all it takes is one moment, and O'Sullivan seized that moment.

22. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Given how tired everybody was -- except for Casey Short and Taylor Smith. It would have been interesting to see the teams play another 30 minutes in overtime. What a contest between Short and Smith all game long!

The better team today won. I'm surprised NC didn't score 2 or 3 goals. And Chicago couldn't make a dent in the NC defense. .

blissett repped this.
  23. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [NC-CHI]
    90' 1-0 S.Mewis left ck, inswings to 6-top center. McDonald jump-lunges but overshoots, ball bounces off her back and out to box top arc right. O'Sullivan runs on unmarked, blasts one-touch right foot low into the scrum -- rattles downward through Ertz's wicket at 6m right post, deflects across mouth, wrong-foots Naeher at right post, bounces into 1/8 left back low. +3'.

FT 1-0.

24. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Classy interview from Rory Dames after a tough playoff loss

blissett, CoachJon and BlueCrimson repped this.
  25. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Naeher as well.

CoachJon repped this.