News: 2017 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by Mateofelipe, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #51 Mateofelipe, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    It's official. http://www.soundersfc.com/post/2017..._medium=&utm_campaign=&utm_term=&utm_content=

Still no third DP, and whatsit at Sevilla seems to want offers from Japan. But we have picked up some good role players, and Deuce is looking strong in practice.

UPDATE: And it's official that Sevilla has sold Kiyotake to C Osaka. Third DP very unlikely before summer.

2. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure "lost out" is the right term.. We "passed on" or "gave up on" is probably closer to the truth. The Sounders still had his discovery rights and Portland paid us for them, so that would seem to indicate that he just wasn't on the Sounders' current DP need list..

4. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should have been. Remind me I said that if he is a bust.

5. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said before, the Sounders are pretty set up front if Dempsey recovers and, based on reports, he's doing well in pre-season. With Dempsey in the line-up, the only person that can/would be sat would be Bruin and given his $300k salary, I'm not sure they would want to do that. I can certainly see them giving it a go without a third offensive DP for the first part of the season and seeing how the line-up does with Lodeiro, Dempsey, Morris, and Bruin. If that doesn't work out, then see about getting a DP in the summer window.

6. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    From Cincinnati here. We just signed a Sounder youth player Victor Mansaray. Any thoughts on his + and - as a forward?

7. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's young, fast, and seems to have a good head about him. He's got a good amount of natural talent, but as with many young Americans he has struggled with translating that natural talent into tactical skill. I think he'll do well for you as long as he gets enough playing time to further develop and doesn't get stuck on the bench.

Here's a quick overview that one of our local blogs did on him recently:

http://www.sounderatheart.com/2017/1/8/14207734/2016-player-profile-27-victor-mansaray

Traumer repped this.
  8. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  11. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see us shoring up right back.. while it is a shame to see Evans drop to a supporting role from a "good guy" and what he's meant to the team perspective, his inabikity to stay healthy over the last year has definitely hurt the team. Hopefully he can ride out the season as a solid utility player and, maybe, enter a coaching or FO position after this season. Evans has done a lot to connect the Sounders' players with the Fanbase and it would be a shame to lose that.

Anyone have any idea on how good this guy is? Coming up in Feyenoord's development system is definitely a good sign as far as his fundamentals go, but I'm curious about his recent form..

12. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The sounders article on the website says RB version of Jones.

13. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah.. but have they actually seen him play or are they just basing that on him being a right back that has scored goals in the past?

Maybe I should tag @feyenoordsoccerfan and see if he's interested in providing some insight on Leerdam?

14. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    That would be a good idea

15. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  16. Teak

Teak Member+

Feyenoord, VfB Stuttgart, Valencia
    Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    As a long time fan of Feyenoord Rotterdam, I saw Leerdam play quite a bit when he was a box-to-box midfielder and then right back for Feyenoord. This should be a good signing for Seattle. We Feyenoord fans were sorry to see him leave Rotterdam but it was somewhat of an attitude issue. He wanted to play midfield but was used at right back towards the end of his stay. In the end, Vitesse also used him at right back. Hopefully, he has grown up some and has a better attitude.

Yoshou repped this.
  17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh dear.. that was my concern.. It sounds like he left both Feyenoord and Vitesse largely for personality issues, that bothers me.. Schmetzer is getting a bit of a reputation for not being able to handle "big players" and if Leerdam is coming in with an attitude, that could be problems..

18. Nope, he left Feyenoord after a conflict. He refused to sign a new contract and Koeman benched him. He became part of a conflict at Vitesse because of interviews he gave to Voetbal International. He got fined and disciplinary punished. Didnot get what the conflct was about though. But he didnot sign a new contract, just like with Feyenoord. And now pops up in the MLS.
    He's a good player though.

Yoshou repped this.
  19. Uhm, I think you are making more of it than it really is.

Yoshou repped this.
  20. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #71 Teak, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    Well, a conflict can lead to an attitude problem, and an attitude problem can lead to a conflict, so those are the same issue, eh? In fact, Feyenoord have had attitude problems with several of their young players: Drenthe, Wijnaldum, Fer, Biseswar, Cabral, Boetius, Leerdam, Castaignos, and etc. Even Tony Vilhena was starting to go down that route, but Gio and Tony's mother's illness gave him reason to stick around longer and now he feels respected and valued. I wish we could have retained some of the others, but from what I read they were said to have not been appreciated (salary? locker room? positioning? who knows) and thus wanted to leave.

(BTW, there is a more active Feyenoord forum, in English, where some Rotterdammers keep me informed of the club's issues.)

Anyway, Leerdam is very good technically, but his attitude will be the key item for the Sounders to manage. If you want to know how the Dutch think in futbol terms, read "Brilliant Orange". They are their own worst enemies at times.

21. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It is too bad that MLS cannot yet compete with the European clubs in terms of money since Feyenoord's most recent right back was available. AS Roma bought him for 14m Euros with an additional 5m available based upon appearances and performance. Rick Karsdorp would have solved the Sounder's right back question without the attitude of a Leerdam.

22. Even if they pay the same a player like Karsdorp chooses for Champions League football.

By the way, if so many youth players seem to have attitude problems, couldnot it be more likely that the problem lies in the Feyenoord corner? But probably not the place to discuss these matters, as it isnot a Feyenoord thread.

23. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Captain_Ski

Captain_Ski Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Bellingham
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Roman is not in a position to get start whining. With his lack of availability, mental lapses and some out right crappy passing this year I see him as COMPLETELY expendable. He is hardly "Mr. Reliable" and if his compensation reflects that, so be it.