News: 2017 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by Mateofelipe, Dec 6, 2016.

1. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Danwoods repped this.
  2. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good moves, except do we have any GAM and TAM left to get some wingers? Or are Deuce and Morris going to be our wingers with Dario Whatsit at forward (reports are we are in the chase for that Boca guy)?

3. Captain_Ski

Captain_Ski Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Bellingham
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  4. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Good depth moves. And I won't be all that unhappy if Ivanshitz is gone. Good left foot, but a liability in possession, defense, and too slow to impact offense in run of play.

We really need someone on the wing to stretch the defense.

5. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like I'm the Debbie downer regarding the Shipp and Bruin moves. Shipp looked very bad for Montreal this year in my opinion. It also doesn't help his case when he was playing around guys like Piatti, Drogba, Oduro, and Venegas. Bruin is kinda a meh signing to me. He is one of those players who has that "potential" every year and every year he is just average.

6. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand the hesitation in signing a DP until they know Dempsey's status. It's not like some of the guys the Sounders have been linked with wouldn't be useful regardless. We seem to enjoy sucking in the first half of the season.

7. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the formation changes if you have Dempsey vs. not having Dempsey. If Dempsey doesn't come back, you either need a winger to fill the hole made by moving Morris up top, or a forward to replace Dempsey. If Dempsey does come back, you'd likely be looking at a CM Since you now have both forward positions filled (Bruin and Dempsey) and both outside midfielders filled (Morris, Lodeiro).

8. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey is versatile. Morris and Lodeiro are versatile. The guys they have been linked with are versatile. Just sign somebody good and have lots of options.

9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS teams can't afford lots of options at the top of the salary range. There simply isn't room in the budget for that. Sounders have a bonus there that Morris doesn't count against the budget, but they still can't afford to have a DP or a $300k/year player sitting on the bench. At the DP level, you want a player that can fill a specific role, or at least a role that you don't already have filled with another DP or high salary player. If you're burning a DP spot to "give you options", you're wasting that DP spot.

10. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My points is if you have a versatile front 4 or 5, you CAN get them all on the field at the same time.

11. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty blem with this is you invariably end up with the players hanging around their natural positions which means Fredy Montero and Freddie Ljungberg are holding hands in the center of the field and the right wing has a giant hole where Ljungberg is supposed to be. :) (Names are just used as examples)

12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New meat for S2... I hope we get some production out of these youngsters we're bringing in.

also, Herc Gomez officially retired and joined ESPN's studio analyst group and Andreas Ivanshitz sent out his goodbyes to Seattle fans and players earlier today. The Sounders got young real fast. this off season.

13. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors abound of Montero leaving Tianjin and a possible return to the Sounders.

I am not disappointed in this move.:) Montero's family (his and his wife's) are still in the Seattle area and with 2 young kids, this could be good for him at a family level and he seems to really like Seattle.

I liked Montero and was a little sad when he left, but he got a lot of experience in different leagues (some better than MLS), so we should be getting back an even better player than what left. Assuming he's coming to the Sounders, of course.

14. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #40 Mateofelipe, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    I think this is more likely to lead to Fredy and Freddie II than any of the other players linked with the Sounders - you know, the ones you think we shouldn't sign yet until we know about Clint? I see Clint and Fredy stepping all over each other.

EDIT: You must have some inside dope. Can find nothing "abounding" on the interwebs.

15. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are not incorrect. Montero and Dempsey play essentially the same position and, I would think, would end up holding hands for much of the match. If Montero is coming back, I would think it hints at what the Sounders really think about Dempsey's status.

It's probably because my Twitter timeline is mostly Sounders related and had a lot of people who may have been feeding off the same rumor.:) When I woke up this morning (and made that post), my timeline was basically all Montero coming back tweets.

16. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Absent some kind of Galaxy-class shenanigans, I don't know how Fredy could end up back with the Sounders - as a returning player who left on a >$500k transfer, he'd be subject to the allocation order (http://www.mlssoccer.com/allocation) and Seattle's number 21 on the list (i.e. almost dead last, thanks to winning MLS Cup.)

17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In his last week with the Seattle Times, Matt Pentz is doing some work. Here's the list of who is in camp today:

Not included in that list is this unnamed trialist..

18. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

Dempsey has been medically cleared to return to training.

19. Captain_Ski

Captain_Ski Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Bellingham
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    What do you all make of Zakuani at practice. Is this just fun time for him or is this a comeback?

20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It came up in today's post-practice presser and it sounds like he's just there for a kick-about.

21. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zakuani has apparently been training with the team since late last year and is currently somewhere between "just training with the team" and "on trial"....

22. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders