News: 2017 Preseason

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by TheFalseNine, Jan 20, 2017.

1. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    A lot of teams questioned his level of competition, and many questioned if he was even ready to be productive in his first year, because of his youth.

FCD has no such hang ups when it comes to dealing with youth.

I would dare say that FCD is the most perfect place for Reid to have landed, and Canada would be hard pressed to have selected a better place for him to end up.

A team where youth is not only welcomed, but endorsed.

A team where Reid isn't even close to being the youngest player, and he has a large amount of teenagers that he can relate with (Pomykal, Ferreira, Cannon, Craft, Reynolds), plus academy teenagers that get invited to train with the first team and who often travel with the first team.

Scorpion26, TCS35 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    TCS35, El Chico Carmona and TheFalseNine repped this.
  3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget he has a Canadian Nationial teamate in Tesho.

El Chico Carmona repped this.
  4. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Daniel seemed to surface the news today's game (Friday) will be streamed at 1:30pm CT

829825708339892229 is not a valid tweet id

El Chico Carmona and TheFalseNine repped this.
  5. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sweet!
    I had run across tell tale signs and rumors that today's match and another match would be streamed.
    I did not however, have verification, so I didn't post them. I didn't want to get everyone's hopes up.

So now that this is out, be advised that the Racing game on Saturday night, is also likely to be streamed.

These are the only 2 games, that chatter indicates, will be streamed.

Will post links here, and in the official preseason thread, once they become available.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  6. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heavy, heavy rain right now. Game is delayed.

8. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I like that FCD started their reserves in the 1st half, then brought in their starters for the second half.
    Currently tied 2-2

TheFalseNine repped this.
  10. Easton FC

Easton FC Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Dallas 3 - 3 CA San Lorenzo

Goals from Akindele, Barrios, and Urruti. Good strong performances for 3 matches in 3 days with good work from the youngsters and veterans. I guess so far 3 is our lucky number. lol

11. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    What gets me excited, is seeing FCD scoring on the bang- bang plays. That's when FCD is at its most dangerous.

Happy to see the Urruti to Colmán to Barrios goal. If those guys can get on the same page, along with Lamah and Morales, in time for the Arabe Unido game, then I like our chances.

TheFalseNine and Easton FC repped this.
  12. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Racing vs FC Dallas, Game 1!

It's recorded, so watch it at your leisure.

Two 35 minute halves. Starting lineup:
    4-4-2
    Seitz
    Grana- Harris-Hedges-Figueroa
    Barrios-Gruezo-Cermeño-Lamah
    Urruti-Colmán

In the second half, Cermeño is replaced by Chala, who goes to the wing and Lamah moves inside. Coleman is replaced by Tesho later in the half.

theodore repped this.
  13. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #115 El Chico Carmona, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    I posted the videos, but you can go to the official Racing Facebook page. The videos are posted there.
    I believe it's actually 1 super long video.

I just verified it's still there. So my first link should work for both games.

The video is not listed as Racing vs FCD.
    Instead, it just reads as Racing was live 9 hours ago (as of this post). It shows an empty field, but once you hit play, the video starts during warm ups.
    The video has live commentary through out both games.

Awesome, really.

16. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Some way early observations Part 1: Good Defense

Swiss Army Knife II - Atiba Harris to CB is a real thing. FCD will now have 2 guys off the bench (Hohead), that are willing to play anywhere.

Lloyd the Sequel - Guillen looks like Lloyd out there. Fast and strong, and able to switch to LB and push forward.

Ariel Dominance - Hume & Zimmerman make an imposing pair, and are both ultra aggressive in the air.

Battle of the Right Backs - Grana and Cannon are 2 very different types, who will likely be locked in a season long battle for the RB position. This will be a fun battle to watch.

Offensive Defense - At some point, every defender took turns joining or initiating attack. That's why Atiba and I suspect Hollingshead, will see time at CB.
    Look at the goals scored, Hedges charges into the attacking 3rd from the back, passes the ball to Chala bombing down the left wing, who curls a cross to the far post and gooooooaaaaaaal Tesho.
    Cannon charging with the ball up the right, passes to Pomykal cutting inside, who finds a streaking Tesho on the opposite post gooooooooaaaaaallll Tesho.

These goals all came suddenly, and you saw Zimmerman going forward, Guillen too, even Hume, I mean every one.

ElJefe, TheZo and TCS35 repped this.
  17. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Some way early Observations Part 2: Bad Defense

Set Piece Nightmares- FCD struggled with set piece defending early last season, and continue to struggle in Argentina so far.
    Arabe Unido used some brilliant set pieces to defeat Monterrey twice, and this will be a very real concern entering CCL play soon.

PKs R Us - FCD has given up at least 1 PK in every preseason match so far. The keepers have been in top form, but some of those PKs have been the difference between a win and a draw. Not to mention some refs will not be so lenient in handing out cards.

ElJefe and TheZo repped this.
  18. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Some way early Observations Part 3: Midfield Shenanigans

Too early to tell - Cermeño is still rounding into shape, and so is Morales. Lamah is in shape and wow he's big.
    Hayes looks like he belongs. But none of them has stood out. They don't look like a weakness, but they don't look like a strength either. They do a solid job of maintaining possession, but clearly, none of them are in form yet.

Solid as a Rock - Gruezo and Acosta did not start together, but it was clear that if the midfield started to get shaky or out played, Papi would immediately sub in Gruezo or Acosta with immediate results.

Is it a bird? Is it a Plane? Is it Castillo with blonde hair? - Chala is a blonde blur. They would sub him in and instantly, you noticed that blonde guy streaking down the wing with nobody around him. Plus, it is clear that the formation would no longer be a 4-4-2.

Base of Operations: the 4-4-2 has been the formation of choice for all the matches. Or has it? Almost every substitution, changed the formation instantaneously, but what formation? A 4-2-3-1? No now we're in a 5-3-2, or is that a 3-5-2?
    The amassing of midfielders this off-season, now begins to make more sense
    FCD will switch formations midgame, and will cause havoc on defenders as they try to figure out just how a guy who only came in minutes ago, is wide open. Many of the goals came shorty after a substitution.

While some midfielders have not stood out, it's obvious that they themselves are learning multiple positions.

ElJefe and TheZo repped this.
  19. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Some way early Observations Part 4: The Young Guns

Shot out of a Cannon - Reggie Cannon is a full grown man. He is solid defensively, and fast on the overlaps. Too fast actually, cause several times it was Reggie against 4 defenders. Fun, but oh who cares, it was damn fun to watch.

Pax Dominus - Pomykal was everywhere. The commentators kept calling him that #19 for most of the game, but were calling him by his real name by the end of it.
    Pomykal looks like he is ready to challenge Morales for minutes from day 1.

Canadian Gold - Reid plays far older than he looks. I thought he was a good project for FCD, but it's clear that he's the best looking draft pick out there. He can't play for the first team until he turns 18, so I am looking forward to seeing where he goes on loan, and for how long?

Magical Beasts and where to play them -
    Ferreira is pure magic on the ball. Every time he had the ball at his feet, he was breaking ankles left and right. He looks like a full grown man out there, and they played him as the lone striker at 1 point.
    He hit the crossbar on one of his shots, that could have won FCD the match.

Missing in Action: Coy Craft with the u20s in Costa Rica, Bryan Reynolds with the u16s in Argentina. A reminder of the wealth of youthful talent at FCDs disposal.

ElJefe, TCS35, TheZo and 1 other person repped this.
  20. Easton FC

Easton FC Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent observation on your part, El Chico. Basically, it's exactly what I saw but without the benefit of the words you put behind it.

Ferreira, Reid, and Pomykal were the ones that stood out the most but overall this club is fast. Really f**king fast, from the strikers to the backline.

I can't wait to see how this translates to CCL and MLS play.

21. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Some way early Observations Part 5: The Big Guns

Maxi-mum Effort - Urruti has picked up right where he left off last year. The hustle, the relentless badgering of defenders, the tracking all the way back to help the defense, the being out of position because he has tracked too far back. Yet, Urruti is poised to have a bigger year than last season because........

The Incredible Bulk - Colmán is a monster. He has yet to find the back of the net, but his hold up play has been everything this team has been missing. Suddenly, Urruti being too far back is no longer an issue. Colmán holds the ball and allows Urruti to run forward like a madman, and the wingers or fullbacks to bomb down the wings. It is a dimension that FCD lacked last season, and teams better take notice.

Northern Nightmare - Tesho has been a complete terror. He looks faster and more confident. His combination of speed and size, combined with superior positioning on runs, and a more consistent first touch has been too much for teams to handle.
    The last 3 FCD goals have all been scored by Tesho. All were first touch goals off combination plays. The announcers were quick to point out that Tesho had been subbed out, then spent several minutes lavishing praise on the Canadian. Get used to hearing more of that.

ElJefe and Easton FC repped this.
  22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great analysis ECC. Regarding Tesho I hope he has a phenomenal breakout year but it's preseason still and Hollingshead two years ago and our German last year lead scoring in pre-season. It doesn't always correlate.

23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder if the kids will force more minutes this year than any of us thought? That kind of skill is what Pulisic showed when 17 in Bundesliga and Carleton at Atlanta is supposed to have but FCD's Pomykal, Ferriera and Reid may have in their bag also. That kind of skill if you can do it regularly along with play at least decent defense and hustle will get you playing time anywhere. Imagine going up against the hulking Lamah for 60 minutes then tiny whip Ferreira comes in like that?

24. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well said.
    The biggest question coming out of Argentina, is just how ready to produce are the kids?
    The answer will have a significant impact on FCD's season.