2017 New York Cosmos game thread

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by bnyc, May 28, 2017.

1. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    While the Cosmos possessed the ball better tonight and did have the better chances they didn't really play as well as the team did last year. After 8 league games a couple more cup and friendlies the team should be more coherent in attack; there's been enough time.

Defensively they soaked up SF attacks well, I would say the back four were the best part of team last night. The midfield was not at it's best; Marquez has been outstanding this season but looked indifferent tonight, Ayoze and Flores had their moments. I thought the best way through to goal was on the ground but too many times long balls in the air were played and won by SF.

Herrera was the only sub and he did have an impact but he should have been on earlier for the injured Ledesma. Fresh legs in Midfield would have been helpful too.

I have to admit, after the game, the fireworks show was pretty good; combined with a walk on the boardwalk it was good night out.

oneeyedfool repped this.
  2. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herrera needs to start, this lineup without any forwards is killing us

3. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugly Game. Cosmos looked great in the 1st 65'. The Cosmos lost their composure after the eddies 1st goal against the run of play. 2 Red Cards. Then we miss a pk at the end of the game, just to be awarded another pk! At least Restrepo looked good and Starikov played well with limited minutes. Please let's win a game at MCU!

4. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Cosmos deserved to lose tonight and I don't blame the referee one bit.

I always thought that Guerra is a punk. If he thinks that getting Yuma a red in the PR game is the plus side of his game then tonight's red is the negative side. I have no idea why Barnes was within 25 yards of the GK when he got his red. The keeper had distributed the ball and I was following it up field [and 20 others players were out of the penalty box] when Barnes gets his. I can't imagine a scenario where his isn't deserved. He hasn't played much this year and he didn't look good before the red; maybe he is on his way to St. Peter's NISA, god speed.

Before chaos reigned I thought Mendes and Richter looked very good; Mendes looks stronger each game. Restrepo wasn't at his best but he can not be faulted for effort.

EDM settled into their 4-5-1 and conceded possession to the Cosmos. I thought Gio was smart to have the outside backs [Mulligan & Richter] pushing up the wings and pressing the space EDM was conceding. Two reds changed everything. Even down a goal with 18 minutes left I knew the Cosmos had a chance to score just because of EDM's shape. Barnes and Guerra ruined what ever chance remained.

Gio will say the right things publicly but in practice this week he has every right to blast the players. Stupidity and immaturity do not equal professionalism.

I'll add this, Correa is the one player on EDM who is special. I have to think he is going on to better things.

oneeyedfool repped this.
  5. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The red cards and international absences mean we might see an interesting lineup against NCFC.

Guerra, Barnes (red cards), Ochieng, Jakovic, Menjivar, Herrera (Intl) Amauri (leave), Ledesma, Diosa (injury) all may be out.

I think we could see Jimmy back in goal. Richter probably slides to CB to pair with Mendes. Mulligan might play RB and Ayoze back to LB. Starting Velela at RB and keeping Mulligan at LB and Ayoze at LW is another option. Danny will play in midfield and either Marquez if he can go or Calvillo if he can't. Restrepo probably goes at RW and Flores plays centrally since he wasn't called up. LW is Alhassan if available or the Ayoze scenario above. Starikov up top.

Bench might need 3-4 Cosmos B guys to fill it out.

6. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I really like playing Ayoze in midfield where his passing and skill creates more opportunities to attack. I loved his 90 minute effort last night when it was all too easy shrug and coast along; the same for Mulligan.

3 games in 7 days is never easy but with all the missing pieces this going to be a tough game at 4pm on a hot day for a midfield that Gio has not often rotated. Starikov is the only forward left to play. Marquez didn't look good at all last night, one goal was on him. We really need Barnes and Guerra; what a shame.

7. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Much better tonight; The Cosmos came out 4-4-2 and surprisingly with Marquez as a center back [his distribution from the back was excellent]. At half-time Gio brought on Flores for Starikov, moved Marquez up and Ayoze back and switched to 4-1-4-1.

Cosmos had the better possession and that continues to improve. The team as whole played well, hard to signal anyone out as better than others. Herrera was fortunate with his early goal; both NC goals were superb, Maurer had no chance with either.

This was the third game in 7 days, I wasn't expecting much after Wednesday; imagine if the Cosmos were still in the USOC and would play a MLS team next Tuesday then PR Friday, 5 games in 13 days. Along with international call-ups and injuries, squad rotation, it would be difficult to keep the team the team on track. This is when being out of the cup, as sad as that is to say, is better for the team as they can focus on the league games.

The Cosmos have talent but havn't put it all together yet, especially offensively. They will playing in November [heck, 4 out of the 8 will], plenty of time to improve.

Credit to NC tonight for coming out playing much more aggressively than most opponents do against the Cosmos. Lang for his speed and skill and Albadawi for his passing stood out.

8. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was at the game. I thought the best move for the Cosmos was when the manager of the other team put in another defender in hopes of holding the lead. That is the quickest way to lose a lead which is what happened. Cosmos should have won the game they dominated in the last 14 minutes.

9. NewYorkisgreen

NewYorkisgreen Red Card

Cosmos
    England
    May 31, 2017
    why just 4200 people?

10. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The game was originally supposed to be played on Friday night the day before it was played. They rescheduled it for the next day instead. Then they played it at 4:30 instead of 7:30 on Saturday. It was good for me and my wife, but not good if you want kids from clubs at the game. They have there own games to play on Saturday. I was even there the next day Sunday they had a benefit for police killed on the job. My oldest son played softball in it. They called it blue lives matter. i only went to that because my son played in it. I have seen more people there for doowop concerts. I like to go there because it's cheap and close. I am there in 10 or 15 minutes. It got a good Italian restraunt a block from the stadium. You also got the boardwalk and the beach. They have another game there on the 4 of July and a fire works display after the game. I used to go there then to see the fire works show. So barring bad weather I will be there.

11. NewYorkisgreen

NewYorkisgreen Red Card

Cosmos
    England
    May 31, 2017
    Indianapolis is always hard for the Cosmos but at least this time 6000 people, are Cosmos slowly becoming part of Coney Island community?

12. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I think you can attribute better attendance to the holiday and good weather.

I am concerned about the centerbacks. Watching Ochieng and Barnes last game exposed a weakness. Jackovic is clearly the best we have and he's away for the Gold Cup. Mendes, if healthy, can still play; but he has been injured several times this year . Ochieng lacks consistency; he makes mistakes on the part of the field where mistakes are punished. Barnes can play but it seems as if he has issues/nasty streak that hurts the team; his red card, fouls called against, etc. I don't have a lot of faith in him but he will likely be given opportunities to change that and he has ability.

I was surprised at how well Marquez did back there and I'm wondering with Mayol & Mkosana joining after the Indy game will we see him or Szetela at CB?

13. NewYorkisgreen

NewYorkisgreen Red Card

Cosmos
    England
    May 31, 2017
    well I hope that for summer we gonna have 5000 people at MCU Park or more....I think Barnes can play well but I don't like Ochieng either, we should cut him up and take some american defender and take a big name using his slot

14. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    #14 bnyc, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    Great night/strange night. Yes, both red cards should have been yellows; but 0-0, 25minutes in, 10v.10, it was a game to play for and the player who stood up most was 19 year old Eric Calvillo with two great hits for goal. Glad I called him out earlier this week because he has stepped up in big way. Also glad that Gio has given him the opportunity; I'm not sure too many D2 coaches would.

Ochieng was all too unreliable at the back, again. He gifted chances to Miami that thankfully they missed and we survived is the best I can say. Moyol's first appearance showed that he is the real deal; I wouldn't hesitate to play him over Guerra & Szetela. Adding him, Lucky, and Arrango has the team in it's best shape of the season; getting Mendes back would complete the team for a run at the championship.

Miami's goal was magnificent; great first touch from Martinez and then a perfect unselfish pass to Poku. For 20 minutes we got to see both teams full strength and Miami is very impressive; I didn't see a weakness anywhere and bringing in Martinez and Michel shows the depth they have. The red card forced Nesta to take off Mares; what a shame, he was outstanding for his 45 minutes.

Last thing, I loved the drum core at the opposite end from the 5 Points. Great atmosphere tonight.

Bklyn Royals Fan and oneeyedfool repped this.
  15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. NewYorkisgreen

NewYorkisgreen Red Card

Cosmos
    England
    May 31, 2017
  17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah we've got both sticks and kicks...nothing wrong with that...lol

18. NewYorkisgreen

NewYorkisgreen Red Card

Cosmos
    England
    May 31, 2017
    Partnering with Cyclones to me is a good idea....

19. NewYorkisgreen

NewYorkisgreen Red Card

Cosmos
    England
    May 31, 2017
    Sticks and kicks is great!!

20. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Same old Starikov, same old Ochieng; and lucky for us same new Calvillo.

There's a few things that puzzle me; where are Herrera and Menjiver? Are they buried in a numbers trap or gone? Why are Lucky and Moyol being held back from more minutes? Why didn't Marquez start?

With the team we had last night [4-2-3-1] playing with Ayoze in center mid was smart but really when Moyol, Marquez, and Arrango play [and Ledesma is at left half] Ayoze at left back has the team with the most skill on the field. That's the strength of the team.

I'm expecting a very different line-up Edmonton.

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I'd have to say that a draw tonight was fair despite the Cosmos having so much more possession and shots/crosses.

All of Indy's goals were well taken but Jackovic's slip and Barnes' egregious error point to defensive woes that continue at centerback. In midfield Marquez and Flores controlled the field [especially in the second half] and why Indy didn't change from 4-3-3 to shore up the midfield defense is beyond me; they gave the Cosmos the ball and ultimately chances to tie the game and then two more great chances in extra time.

Moyol and Calvillo didn't impress but Guerra did and Mulligan at right back for Richter did as well. Ledesma feels like our best threat when we have the ball but I really like Marquez's passing; he makes players around him better. I also liked the speed that Lucky brought into game to go at Indy.

The flip side of Indy's 4-3-3 is Speas and Goldsmith getting opportunities out wide but they didn't really seam to cause much trouble.

23. NewYorkisgreen

NewYorkisgreen Red Card

Cosmos
    England
    May 31, 2017
    waiting for Arangol

24. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Consistency, that's the word that is missing for the team in 2017. In the spring season I could believe the short preseason was an issue but not now.

Cosmos passed the ball well in midfield but in the final third Marquez was the only player consistently making good attacking passes. Everyone else simply put the ball up top for Starikov, all 4 foot 3 of him, to win headers against 6 foot plus defenders. When Vranjican came on he proved his value but the real question is who going pass the ball with intent to score? Diosa has so much skill; as great as it was to see him come on it was equally depressing to see him leave the pitch, we need him. Arrango played 8 minutes; as that goes up so does our chances to score. Ledesma may be the key; he not only shoots lasers he passes well. At some point we have to see these players on the together; I'm waiting.

The first goal was unlucky [own goal]; the second was horrible. Maurer jumps into Barnes, completely misplaying the ball, then blames the ref? For what? Jumping into a teammate's back with no attacking player between you? I'm sorry, that's bad goal keeping.

J'ville is a good team. No frills, just solid players. Like Edmonton last year and Ottawa before them teams built this way win games in the NASL.

oneeyedfool repped this.
  25. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Puerto Rico and New York have swapped home dates for the remaining two matchups between the two clubs. The Cosmos will host the Caribbean side Sunday, Oct. 1, at MCU Park in Brooklyn, while Puerto Rico will welcome the two-time defending NASL champions to Juan Ramón Loubriel Stadium for the fall season finale Saturday, Oct. 28, at 7:30 p.m. ET. The kickoff time for the Oct. 1 game has not yet been finalized.

http://www.frontrowsoccer.com/2017/...o-rico-trade-home-games-wake-hurricane-maria/