2017 NBA Off-season Thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by os_mutante, Jun 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ricky Rubio will be traded to the Utah Jazz for a first-round draft pick.

Jeff Teague might be heading to Minny.

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blake Griffin signs a 5 year, $175 million contract. $35 million a year for him. The Clippers will rue that contract 2 years from now.

3. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul George going to OKC.

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Oladipo and Sabonis.

5. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Victor had to clear outta town after this.

sitruc repped this.
  6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my .... good gracious. Vic, no you didn't.

7. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yup. Doesn't make sense.

8. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Why is that?

9. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Clips trade CP3, which would indicate a rebuild, in which case they should also try to trade Blake and DeAndre. Instead, they pay major long term money to Blake, a 28-year-old reliant on his athleticism, as another piece intends to leave reportedly in JJ Redick. This leaves the Clips in the awkward spot of both getting significantly worse and still trying to win now IMO.

10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some awful gms in the league

The east just keeps getting worse as well lol

11. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    This team could be potentially a superstar player away from contending again. Letting Blake walk away for nothing is ludacris and most teams likely wouldn't have offered much more than they've gotten for CP. Heck, PG was traded for basically a bag of chips. Losing him for nothing is worse than giving him that contract. Letting CP go was the right move team wise and financially. One will be 32 at the end of their current contract and the other would be 37.

Reddick walking was predictable and the Clippers are right to let him go. Paying an undersized SG 16-18M would be stupid. You could potentially land Gallinari or Simmons with that 8M exception and have a Crawford expiring + other assets.

Competiton wise this team has underachieved, but as an organization it has improved imensly. The ''old Clippers'' would've given CP that 5 year contract, which would've doomed them in mediocrity for the next 5 years and they would've likely lost Blake.

12. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

13. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Sixers look like they could compete for playoffs with the east being so trash now

thebigman repped this.
  14. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    @JCNapoli17 Listen, no one expected OKC could land PG (even if it is a one year rental), yet they managed somehow. Maybe Utah are afraid of losing Hayward and do a trade. Maybe Porzingis doesn't want to resign with the Knicks. Who the hell knows. The NBA has become so unpredictable. You can obviously land a superstar for peanuts (Butler, PG).

In any case the Clippers have 2 very good NBA players (I think people are overreacting to those Blake injuries) in and now have the ability to make some moves. Heck, everyone is prediciting George ends up in LA, but fun fact - he was a Clippers fan in his childhood. I'm not saying, he lands there, but like I've said you never know. I think CP wasn't the right type of superstar for this team. If Wade or Carmelo get bought out, they both might consider LA.

Look, this team is obviously worse (likely will struggle to make the playoffs, with OKC enhanced, Wolves looking great and Pelicans looming around the corner), but I wouldn't toss the towel in just yet. Seeing Blake as the number one option might surprise some of you. #pointforwardtime

15. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Between Houston and OKC, who would you pick to win the series?

16. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Houston.

OKC's "others" are far worse.

1 very good player. Who "coincidentally gets injured and the "right" times.

DeAndre is a shot blocker rebounder who cant make free throws and create his own shot. He's a good role player.

If you got both Melo and Wade? What makes these 2 ball dominant players a better fit than CP3?

17. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Depends on how much CP3 and Harden are mutually prepared to sacrifice to optimize the team. We've already seen to a certain degree what a George-Westbrook partnership would look like, as George operates somewhat like a discount KD.

18. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Huh, I'd probably pick OKC. Defensively that team is sounder and now you've added an All-NBA type performer. Adding George does so much more for OKC, than Paul does for Houston. Also the Thunder ''lost'' less. I don't think this OKC team is that much worse than the one with Durant two years ago.

Well, out of the three, CP3 is the most ball dominant. This isn't Conley or Rubio we're talking about. In anyway, what I was reffering to was more in the light, that this team would need a dominant wing player, more than it would need a dominant point guard. I think putting a Durant, Paul George or Hayward does more for this team than it does adding Chris Paul. This is all in theory obviously.

Teams with PG as their best players haven't gotten far in the NBA. Every team in the Finals (except for the Dallas Mavericks) in recent years, has either had a great SF or SG (or both). Also the last 6 out of 7 (correct me, if I'm wrong) Finals MVP's in the last 10 years have been wing players.

19. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    LOL, Redick signed with the 76ers (by the way great fit for them IMO) for 23M (!!!) one year.

And people are questioning why the Clippers would let him go. No way in hell is he worth that.

Also is it just me or are the players signing less and less longterm contracts? Atleast those that are at their peak... That way they can retain the levarage in negotiations.

onefineesq repped this.
  20. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are seeing why there's a salary cap and a draft pick trade restriction. Without those who knows how much worse the GM's could be.

21. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    - I dont disagree. Defensively OKC were always above average, but adding PG helps even more. But i don't think they even have many reliable shooters. I dont think they have enough offense. Maybe if there defense ends up being elite.

Houston. We rightfully question wether CP and Harden can play at their best together. I think a lighter load offensively, helps CP3. They lose just a little depth.

- good point on PG's. Fair to say Parker was exception. But wrt our discussion, I cant see which wing player makes the Clippers better than they were last year.

22. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Fair point about the offence, though I do imagine them being something similar to what KD and Russ had. Obviously PG isn't as talented offensively, but he can put up 25 per game, which will help a lot. Also, we might see Gibson in a different light this season.

I don't doubt their ability to play together. Everytime we question that, we're proven wrong. It's more of an issue if they can work together, character wise. Harden is very similar to Griffin from a character perspective (does stuff off the court, seems passive at times). I just wonder how CP reacts to those ''Shaqtin'' moments. On the other hand, it's just a one year deal, so he might bounce after that.

23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Reddick is one year and sixers need to spend money

Still something like nearly 20 mill left to hit cap floor (I think)

Amit Johnson and reddick are good pickups

24. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    The problem is you have people taking over the GM position, that have no idea what they're doing (Jackson, Rivers, Van Gundy, etc.). Teams that have competent GM's taking decisions (Boston, Warriors, Rockets, OKC), they've thrived and made great deals year after year. Since I'm most familiar with it, just look at the contract situation between the Clippers and Houston Rockets. One team is paying Crawford twice as much as the other is paying Ariza.

25. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    With Gibson leaving to join Thibs, I just might change my opinion. Also, is it me, or is Houston n the market for everyone?

Also, if Doc signs Gay, I just might lose it, even if it's for 8M.