2017 NASL Attendance thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by msilverstein47, Jan 9, 2017.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, I meant PRFC didn't devote resources to it, so it seems kind of unfair to "credit" them with it.

2. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7,115 in Miami
    3,586 in San Francisco

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Francisco will host the final. This will be fun.

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it was better than there average? If we’re looking for silver linings?

5. annapolis

annapolis Member

Jul 3, 2001
    Don't think the people on this board consider higher attendance for an NASL team to be a positive.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pfffffft.

If they’d have gotten their shit together at any point in the last seven years, they would not take nearly the derision they take.

This narrative that everybody hates them just because is nonsense.

artml repped this.
  7. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Playing victimized martyr is all they have left.

All the other stuff is irrelavant. Money, organiization, ridiculous rhetoric, competent business plan, being in bed with corrupt charlatans (Traffic), snake oil salesman (Cosmos/Siva), manipulators, not enough committed owners, suing and blaming everyone for their own shortcomings, blatant lying in the press and on social media, etc, etc, etc.....

Yeah, people are a**holes for questioning them. Hell they are jerks for pointing out the huge errors they are making before they implemet them! I mean, many of us only have decades of experience with the game here. Nitpicking type stuff.

2in10, msilverstein47 and DanGerman repped this.
  8. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OKC, SF Delta's, and FTL Strikers. Many here called what happened there way in advance. Hell the locals on these boards (Knave, Athletics68 etc...) said SF wouldn't support the Deltas and many were slammed for it, they all look like Nostradamus right now.

9. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    ....see, I didn't know much about SF so I listened to the folks who have shown here that they have been around the game, and an area for a long time. Makes you take notice.

As soon as NYC moved to Hofstra (an area where I know the game and it's history extremely well) I said they had three years tops there.

It's funny, it's almost like having knowledge, experience and some rudimentary favtual understanding matters. Who knew?

Well...it's the net, where young and dumb, along with those who manipulate them, come in droves.

2in10 and athletics68 repped this.
  10. annapolis

annapolis Member

Jul 3, 2001
    Sorry. Didn't mean to upset anybody. All I said was I don't think the people on this board consider higher attendance for an NASL team to be a positive. If I'm wrong please correct me. None of the responses thus far have done so.

11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think people just want NASL to go away , it's just an embarrassment.

hipityhop repped this.
  12. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either that or people simply don't believe 4K-5K to be remotely considered "higher" attendance.

13. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    funny all the pro/reg zealots haven't said nothing about NASL refusing to be in d3 and "work there way up"

Egbert Sousé repped this.
  14. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sooner the better.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't want the NASL to go away, per se.

And the acting commish is a good friend of mine.

But the money running the league that got rid of Downs and put in Peterson and calls the shots today - we'd all be better off without them.

The NASL went off the rails the day Downs left.

Stuart95, DanGerman and Paul Berry repped this.
  16. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    To be fair, stating that a glorified semi-pro team footy team would not make it at Kezar isn't that much of a stretch.

17. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Part of the point is that many of NASL’s decisions are pretty damn obvious to folks who know better.

It’s how the manipulators sell it as some type of just, righteous cause against evil. I can’t stand folks who take ad of the stupid.

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd have thought so. But apparently the Deltas ownership group (which as I understand it includes over a dozen otherwise successful tech guys), and many posters on this board... thought otherwise and pooh pooh'ed those of us who stated the painfully obvious.

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just a curious statement.

What, because the Deltas gave away a metric shit-ton of tickets because they wouldn't be able to sell Paul Manafort a time machine and some folks were skeptical that they'd finally figured it out?

Higher attendance is a positive. It's not the be-all, end-all by itself (and half the teams in the league had lower attendances than a year ago), but it's a positive for clubs to get more fans.

Unfortunately, when you've ( a ) not come anywhere close to bringing in sufficient revenue to survive and ( b ) told the customers, "Only you can fix this," you lose a bit of sympathy from those of us who've been at this for a while.

Zoidberg and AndyMead repped this.
  20. annapolis

annapolis Member

Jul 3, 2001
    What's your definition for schadenfreude?

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The generally accepted one.

22. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I went to the final at Kezar. the stadium seemed 80-90% full. it was a fun nite. I still think there's potential for soccer in San Francisco, but the Deltas' front-office decisions were puzzling from the very beginning. they had no clue. they didn't even have programs or literature of any kind at the game. I would've happily paid $10 for a program. they charged $5 for tix when they could've charged $10 or $20. the owner was sitting in the stands not far from me, shaking peoples' hands like he was class president at a highschool football game or something. it was weird.

23. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Helmick? From my understanding he's just one of the minority owners but "ran" the team. I remember that letter he wrote about himself and it sounded like a naive tech bro who likes soccer but knows nothing of running a team, I mean he mentioned he's Colombian so he must know what he's doing right?

24. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    yeah, him.