2017 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by StevenLa, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #26 Holmes12, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    To the guy who posted the goofy men's and women's soccer harmony snorefest, "Alum support", whatever that is, pales to TV. Millions of times in magnitude. I will also surmise that you find 80-90% of recruited women's players have parents who didn't play soccer. It's called "growing the sport", something like that. Parents are about advancing their kid in whatever their kid does, not themselves nor their past. Who's the girl at Duke, Miller, her dad was NHL. He coaches hockey at Michigan State. Is she on skates at MSU? It's like all the travel parents philosophy, er, hobby. I will grant in the cases where a parent is a soccer "name", special access is granted to deep ECNL/ODP pools. Look at Doug Collins, a prominent example to reveal the norm. If his kid at Northwestern is playing his alma mater, Illinois State, who's he pulling for? Is LaVar wearing Washington State colors? Take your off-base (wrong) personal lament to the administrations. See if your offer of "alum support" and totally wrong assertion brings men's soccer back. Now if you offer to foot the bill on a football thing...

and, again, obviously, nobody in the women's soccer recruiting process gives even the remotest thought to men's soccer. Recruiting is a selfish process, you know? Did you see cp's SEC trends and the # of teams in the NCAA tournament?

2. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Rhode Island has been filled.

There are 3 DI jobs open, all in the SWAC:
    I'll provide some insight since I'm actually in the region and follow the conference.
    Alcorn State-Has not been listed on here before, but is open. No idea what's going on, your guess is as good as mine.
    UAPB-Going to promote the GA to HC according to a few players on the team. Convenient thing to do, given they were in the SWAC final this year, but a little scary according to the players. Not many recruits coming in, will probably fall off the pace of where they were this year if GA is promoted. No real announcement on website of departure of previous HC or promotion, but seems likely to happen.
    Grambling-Reopened their search, as talked about here. Yielded only 9-10 applicants their first time, I have a buddy who was one of the 9-10, and would be a great get for Grambling (Honestly not sure why he applied, because it probably wouldn't be a good fit for him). He wrote the AD but no word back, more than likely he doesn't fit the demographic they are looking for. Grambling set a deadline of April 28th for the hire, so we will see if it comes to fruition.

Unquestionably the SWAC is the worst soccer conference in DI. Teams in the conference regularly lose to DII's and I'm sure many would struggle to beat even mid-level DIII's. Alcorn and Grambling per rankings are usually the worst two programs in the country, and maybe how they've approached this hiring process gives a glimpse as to why.

3. StevenLa

StevenLa Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Since I reside in the ATL, here are a few very warm seats to watch from my neck of the woods.

Brian Lesesne, Georgia
    Brian Lee, LSU
    Eric Terrell, Charleston Southern
    Chad Miller, Western Carolina
    Spencer Smith, Winthrop
    Brian Dunleavy, Georgia Southern
    Amy Kiah, Wofford
    Robin Confer, North Florida
    Brian Purcell, Presbyterian
    Harold Warren, UAB

With that said, not sure a few of these schools care that much.

4. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #29 Holmes12, Apr 6, 2017
    Poet, I think Hampton or Morgan or somebody recently hired a white guy, if that's what you mean. It's tough because many black families don't fork the money over to buy exposure and along with it deep ODP placements. I don't blame them in the least. It's obvious with one glimpse of an ECNL game. The ones that do are plucked pretty quickly by higher level P5s as the feeder clubs love to promote their, ahem, "diversity". In fact, I remember a few black players where the club waived all fees and travel/hotel. I was totally for it as I hate the soccer industry nepotism/politics (ODP advancement for certain clubs, etc.) although the families could pay, but they astutely held the cards over the clubs. I would, although it comes out of the other parent's pockets. These schools would be interesting to coach and develop but awkward if <1% minority. You don't want to come off as some kinda martyr. It's a fine line. Some of the fields are basically gravel parking lots. All honor to them for fielding teams.

5. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Totally fair point...and I'm not suggesting said school doesn't have the right to do it. Just further illustrating that schools (and corporations and other fields) often have agendas in the hiring process other than hiring the best candidate or even a candidate that might help them win or turn things around. Some schools may only be looking to hire a female, others only a male, others only a minority, others don't care. Religious schools often only hire along faith lines. It happens, I was just speaking from experience to those on this board that think AD's only care about winning and don't have their own agendas and therefore XYZ should be fired, etc.

I wasn't saying that Grambling (or any school, especially an HBCU) doesn't have a right to do this...but sometimes it's at the cost of success. I was also speaking to the publicity and manner to which the hiring process was proceeding...shows low importance to the program and to the kids. Hard to win without a coach all Spring. But you're right, for some of them just fielding a team, or competitive team is a major accomplishment.

Also, UAPB had a white guy, and the GA that will be promoted is white also, so clearly some HBCU's do buck the trend, with mixed results.

6. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    They did?? How they did do in the NCAA tournament? I seem to recall they used to make it under the previous coach. Did they do well in the NCAA's this year?

7. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  8. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #33 Holmes12, Apr 6, 2017
    Absolutely. Look at Georgetown basketball. Out of a sense of obligation or guilt over slavery (the school used slaves, apparently, they offer auto/easier admissions to students who can prove ancestors were enslaved by Georgetown), they let lack of success slide under the JT III, 13 years of rope and the elder openly stated the Thompson's program was to give black kids a chance, no matter the school demographics.

9. hilltopsoccer

hilltopsoccer Member

Aug 24, 2007
    TX

10. StevenLa

StevenLa Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I agree with your assessments and additions. At some point even longevity doesnt help you keep your job at the time.

11. 352formation

352formation Member

Reading FC
    Dec 4, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Okay so not much going on in the realm of head coaches. What about assistants? Any known movement or interest. Will any lower level head coaches make a move away from the spotlight?
    Minnesota
    Michigan
    Loyola Maryland
    Arkansas
    George Washington
    Colorado College

12. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Minnesota- they will hire a quality coach. Apparently the assistants do all the coaching so the head coach will want someone competent. Good program to get development as an assistant.

Michigan- whoever wants to pick up Greg's cones and feed his ego will be a good fit there.

Arkansas- best fit for there will be the coach who can teach kids to kick the ball the highest and farthest.

GW- I think that's a good situation for an assistant to go into. Good head coach.

CC- another situation where an assistant can make an impact.

Minnesota is the top job amongst these; head coach who leaves all coaching duties to assistants so they have opportunity to learn, winning program, big conference. Probably just a little too cold though.

soccersubjectively and Fitballer repped this.
  13. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Billy Lesesne, not Brian. He's only halfway through his second year. He needs more time to bring in his own recruits, which he will. He doesn't even have any there yet, except one or two walk ons.

14. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Should JD's seat be hot at W and M? He's been around forever. I guess it's better than golf.

15. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    And has never had a losing season.

16. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    yeah, accomplished guys like JoePa (even years pre-scandal), Bowden, Bryant all lost it upstairs, JD is sharp, but P5 football absorbs figurehead salaries. I don't know where JD is physically today. i thought he was about to mail it in like five years ago when I last saw him at a tournament (one of the last I attended) so I give him props.

17. Merlin13

Merlin13 New Member

Nov 4, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    They beat UVA and VT. Made it to the ACC tournament and took Clemson to PK's after 2OT's. Had a bad loss which kept them out of NCAA's

18. Bulldog13

Bulldog13 New Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Wellllll Xavier is now open

19. sec123

sec123 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Didn't they just just hire a head coach this year?

20. sec123

sec123 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Should have looked it up. Coach of five months took a job w US Soccer. It's a Big East job. They will get some decent candidates and potential hires may actually be better off as the candidate pool is much smaller in April than it was in November for sure

21. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Spring game final score: Northern Kentucky 1 vs Northwestern Ohio 3..........Who the hell is Northwestern Ohio??

22. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    University of Northwestern Ohio (UNOH) is a school that is in Lima, Ohio. Lima is in the farm belt flat lands of Ohio where a lot of corn and tomatoes are grown. Aside from that area being one of the largest producing areas of tomatoes anywhere, there isn't a whole lot there. UNOH primarily teaches trades that allow students to get jobs immediately after graduation. It's actually very successful at that. The athletic teams play NAIA and were the NAIA champs last year. They finished with a 23-2-1 record last year. The men's team is also very successful. The women's and men's teams would probably be competitive at the D1 level. I just glanced at last year's roster of the women's team and the composition of the 23 player roster is 2 players from Ohio and the remainder are internationals. ( http://www.unohracers.com/roster/0/20.php ) The men's roster is also mostly composed of international players ( http://www.unohracers.com/roster/0/20.php ). I'm sure that the village idiot, Holmes, might chime in about this.

As an aside, I poked around the athletic website a bit and noticed that the school also offers sports like stock car racing and drag racing.

23. AndSolskjærHasWonIt

Manchester United
    United States
    Apr 20, 2017
    UAB (Alabama-Birmingham) is open as of yesterday.

24. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, they hired Kacey White just this past December. As SEC123 stated, she was hired by US Soccer for a coaching job. The press release from Xavier is pretty vague. Here it is: http://www.goxavier.com/news/2017/4...-accept-coaching-position-with-us-soccer.aspx
    What's up with these late changes? This accentuates the fact that recruits need to like the school first. Before recruits commit to a school they need to ask themselves: 1.) If the coach were to leave would they want to be at the school and 2.) If they were to get hurt and not be able to play soccer anymore would they want to be at the school. If the answer is "no" to either question they need to look at a different school.

25. girlsruleboysdrool

girlsruleboysdrool New Member

Fire
    Brazil
    Apr 3, 2017
    Where did you see that? Nothing on the UAB site.