[2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup: Group Stage] Korea vs England 2017/05/26 [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Jitevra, May 25, 2017.

1. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    We just had a bad game, both tactically and individually. Song Bum Kun saved us and Lim Min Hyuk were good but the rest was awful. I hope the players has learnt from the defeat.

2. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    Being told by a korean friend of mine that Song is very good at doing karaoke. Future in a kpop band for him.

chook90 repped this.
  3. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Well at least we avoid France in the quarter finals... IF we go through the next round...

4. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    no, he wasn't good either.

5. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    #130 Marco91, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
    LMH was physically bullied.

6. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    #131 aeh1991, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Yeah probably not even him. Anyway the best I can do is forget this match, lower my expectations and cheer the team in the next round.

Edit: Lol Man City just signed Bernardo Silva who has a body like LSW or LMH.

7. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    So? What's the funny part? He is good..
    Coutinho is shorter & skinny too (at least based on info provided by Liverpool) .... he is doing well in England.

8. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    Bernardo Silva is god, and of the reasons why Monaco are the champions of France.

jessypjs repped this.
  9. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    I was just joking. He's amazing and most probably will do well in England. Many people said that LSW has a too weak body (me included) but I am amazed that sometimes there are still players that prove the opposite.

10. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    not sometimes but full of guys like Lee SW who are successful in modern football. Lee SW will be fine.. I think his body will ultimately mature as he ages to like this guy.

Marco91 repped this.
  11. ConcernedK

ConcernedK Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Club:
    Busan I Park
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    PSH and LSW and the regulars should have started this match, we would have beaten this overrated English team.

12. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    It's depressing to see how we were muscled off the ball repeatedly. It happened against Guinea and Argentina but it was even worse today. Physically, we may be the weakest team in the tourney.

13. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    most of them play as a winger.

typical winger at highest levels: quick, excellent technique, great vision, ability to score and stamina

14. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    yes, it did happen so many times...basically every damn challenge...

15. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    STY is a horrible tournament manager.

16. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    I'm back from work and going to watch it now but I have a feeling what went wrong.
    He's just not a good manager.

17. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    STY let his team down letting problems defending wide become a disaster today despite knowing thats what england would do.

18. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    I know I'm the best with grammar but I just can't comprehend what you just wrote, lololol.

19. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    he has an obsession w/ trying multiple formations.... especially those that are popular in EU. from his time as temp manager w/ senior NT, U-23/Olympics, and U-20... i don't think he has a clue on how to tactically integrate players into "offensive" football he wants to play. not to mention, his player selection or judgement of talent doesn't match his "philosophy" + formation/tactic.

3 different formations for 3 different teams? seriously? mostly to "stifle" the opposition instead of trying to get the best out of his own players?

Shin TY managed teams look great in friendlies (mostly because the oppositions don't care after a long flight to Korea) but frustrating to watch in games that matter.

chook90 and Hodori repped this.
  20. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Ok so I watched the first half. I thought we weren't too bad, maybe things are different for the second half.
    Some thoughts (really long):
    GK: He played well.
    CBs: They were pretty good for the most part. They are not perfect but they do cover each other and get the jobs done. However, Korea is playing pretty defensively as a team. I wonder how they'll play if they are more vulnerable.
    WBs: they don't offer anything offensively. They are only there to play defence but the only problem is that they aren't that great in defending either...They provide zero width.
    CMs: HCH was pretty invisible and didn't really contribute to the team. You'll expect more from him. I thought LMH was okay or at least played better than HCH. He at least tried to be more proactive and he had some bright spot with his passing and dribbling. Lee Seungmo didn't really stood out for me so no comment. Again they had a hard time transitioning the ball from defence to offence.
    FWs: CYW is pretty useless without LSW or PSH. For the most part he was good at getting the ball in a "counter" but he was basically an island and he couldn't beat his players so he would lose possession. The other guy (11) is just not good enough.
    STY:
    Formation: like I've mentioned earlier in the thread, 3-5-2 doesn't work without good wing backs. I had a suspicion that he would go with 3-5-2 because I heard England was going for 4-4-2 so I assumed STY will deploy 3-5-2. I think this "experiment" was pointless because it didn't solve anything. Instead I wish STY used to game to figure out which is the best formation/tactics even if that means starting LSW/PSH. I personally think we should go with a 4-3-3 formation and have the fullbacks just play defence and have our wing forwards providing the width.
    Tactics: I don't mind playing defensive/counter attacking. But if our supposed plan is to win the tournament, I have a doubt how successful this tactic will be. Our CMs are having a hard time getting the ball forward and our CFs are just toothless. So the only one that we can rely on for any offence is LSW and to the lesser extent PSH while everyone else play D. I don't know if this is such a good idea if we want to win...
    Hindsight: I personally think STY ********ed up his player selection. First off if he was playing on playing 3 in the back, he should have gotten wingbacks that can actually provide some offence such as Jang Gyulhee (LB) and maybe Park Myeongsu (RB I think he's pretty offensive not too sure). Secondly, I really wish we had Kim Jungmin because he can distribute the ball better like Ki. Finally, this team lacks wingers so it would have been nice if we had Kim Jinya. If I were to make my starting XI it would be
    LSW-CYW-KJY
    PSH-KJM
    DM
    JGH-LSM-JTW-PMS
    SBG
    With this formation I think we would have played a more attractive and offensive style of football...
    Also I hate how STY doesn't really have a plan A. His constant changes of formation might seem like he's being a tactical genius but I don't think that's the case. I think he should have stuck with one identity and stuck with it before this tournament with all the preparation and friendlies he had.

21. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Some thoughts about HCH vs LMH as players. Personally I don't really have a favourite and I hope they both do well in the future. It seems like they are both different types of player anyway. But as professional footballers, HCH has done more in the K-league and he's one of the most experienced player in the team as far as minutes he played professionally so far. LMH for the most part hasn't really impressed for FC Seoul. I know that Seoul is more competitive than Jeonnam but if LMH is talented, you'll expect him to do more. That's why I always assumed HCH was the better player out of these two. Hopefully this was just one off game for HCH and he plays better for the upcoming games.

22. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    I somewhat agree after watching his managing the Olympics side and now with this U20 side in this tournament. That being said, I think what we saw against Argentina is what we will play going forward.

Here's what I find lacking in STY. He doesn't make adjustments coming out of the half time break. Thus we have been struggling to adjust to the changes that our opposition managers make to their tactics/formations. He needs to recognize and implement adjustments more quickly rather than be so reactive.

Second, the formation change today (while not rotating the fullbacks) was a mistake. He is grinding down the fullbacks by making them play another 90 mins as wingbacks and it showed. He needed to rotate and rest them along with Cho YW against England.

Third, he needs to decide how he wants his midfielders to distribute the ball. Even after a month or two of training, the midfield cohesion is just not there. If HCH cannot handle distribution due to fitness or mentality, then he should have BSH play more centrally. This midfield (and the way they struggle through streches) are reminiscent of what we saw in the U23s in Rio.

killaorca repped this.
  23. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    More and more I am seeing Shin Tae-yong of post 2010 season.

24. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Sorry. Just very worrisome that instead of fixing problems defending out wide, STY makes the opposite adjustment exposing themselves even more.

It would make sense against some teams, but you really have to wonder if STY knows what he's doing when he does that vs England.

I think he drills the kids well... there's a defensive alertness that has been lacking in forever. But I really don't think he knows what he's doing going forward in any way shape or form, or how to manage the game tactically.

killaorca repped this.