2017 D1 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Glove Stinks, Aug 1, 2017.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Division I women, All White Kit's 2017 Women's College Soccer Schedule, courtesy of Chris Henderson. Ordinarily, the scores show up quickly -- the West Virginia v Georgetown score already is there. Stroll through the various pages of the site, it's a great resource.

2. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ANYONE?

3. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't seem to be working

4. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Yea, I can't make the site come up today either.

Yesterday morning it was working just fine and had all of the Friday scores posted nationwide.

My experience is that they get the scores up really quickly - usually less than an hour after the end of the game, although sometimes not for a few hours.

5. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Seems to be an outage. Will contact the server operator if it lingers through the evening.

Power conference results usually go up right away, might be a little bit later for smaller conferences. All bets are off if I'm at or traveling to or from a game.

6. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    William & Mary beat Boston College 3-1. Old John Daly still has some tricks up his sleeve.

7. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    From what I heard that was one of those "either team could have won" games. But for sure great win

8. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    What's the deal: It now seems that every college is using the same template for game recaps and Box Score--and the Box Score does NOT list minutes played. Fans want to see minutes played, no? I do! The template oddly shows the minutes played by the goalies--but no one else.

9. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A lot of times you have to look for it either in the stats section or the link in the top of the story that says box score (pdf). I think they are trying to dress it up with the other one, but it is not as easy to read to me.

10. bigwest

bigwest Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    did SidearmStats have an internet issue yesterday afternoon.. seems like around 5pm, the stats pages for almost every game stopped working... the 6/7pm games never worked at all..

also, shame on these schools that in today's age, that every game isn't at least televised online...

11. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I get why many colleges are going with sidearm -it's mostly for the back end features (sales, promotions, etc.)

But I do have to say that their front end is terrible -- clunky and very user unfriendly. The box scores are just part of the frustration. Navigating the roster pages are a mess (especially the scrolling "feature") and I do not like that one can not see but a few players on the page as opposed to the whole roster for quick search or direct comparisons.

UNC went to sidearm this summer, and the result is an exercise in frustration trying to find and navigate to desired pages (which used to be so easy.)

What a lousy platform!

12. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Agree about the UNC page--I was there recently, and had been to the previous site, and the new site is clunky and confusing. It is not easy to find stuff anymore.

13. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Its not just UNC....there are a ton of Side Arm pages and they all SUCK. So frustrating that these quality programs have gone a system that has the most unappealing home page and links there possibly can be. pure crap

14. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Notables from tonight's action...

#10 UVA tops #2 West Virginia 2-1 in OT

Wake Forest stuns #3 South Carolina 3-2

15. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I had some reason to think Wake would be improved, and also some reason to think South Carolina might come back to earth. But that's still a surprise.

Also slightly surprised by Virginia, who looked a little slow and predictable in their opener at UNCW.

16. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Wake Forest has a solid or better team and South Carolina was way overrated at #3 since they lost a lot of good starters from last year and are young this year, except for McCaskill, who is back and scored twice.

17. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Some interesting and somewhat surprising results in the last couple of days. Both Stanford and WVA were beaten. UVA beat the mountaineers on their home field in what sounded like a mostly defensive struggle (and isn't that what soccer is!?), winning 2-1 in OT. I was more surprised to see florida beat Stanford in gainesville yesterday, rallying from behind twice to win 3-2. Stanford looked a little sluggish early in the Florida humidity but nevertheless found its rhythm, controlled possession and scored a goal to take the lead. Stanford's left outside back apparently hurt her knee and was taken out of the game. Stanford moved their left forward back to take the sport and she seemed to struggle a bit or more than a bit. Florida scored with about 5 minutes to go in the 1H to tie, and that gave florida, which hadn't looked very good, a lot of momentum for a time. The gators pressed Stanford early in the 2H but Stanford recovered and, against the run of play, scored the go-ahead goal. Florida came on again and scored the tying goal at the 78.30 mark on a header off a free kick, and then got the winning goal four minutes later. Stanford, trailing 3-2, played its best soccer in the last eight minutes and generated at least three great scoring chances. On one, a forward all alone at near top-left of the box, didn't even get her shot on frame--big miss. Soon after, she got another shot, hit it well but the florida keeper made the save. Stanford looked very good for stretches and at other times looked a bit slow as a team. The Stanford coach at the half said the team was not playing its best, and that seemed true, and there were even less good in the second half. Florida certainly gets some credit, and so does the florida humidity.

I watched a good part of Pa. State's game against Arkansas, in the heart of darkness--that being Arkansas. The hogs treated the game like a national title contest---they had a record crowd (about 3,400 people) on hand, which was cool, and had both the marching band and cheerleaders on the field at the half. Pa. State was impressive, IMO. They have a lot of team speed, they move the ball and connect passes beautifully, and scored 4 goals to win the game, 4-2, Arkansas plays Banshee soccer--they have a bunch of kids who run well and are very fit, and their style is very direct--kick it toward the opponents goal and chase the ball. It is not very pretty but has proved effective for them as they beat duke last year (in fayetteville, which is not an easy place to place) and had a very good season. Yesterday, the hogs scored first but the N.Lions scored twice in response to take the halftime lead. Arkansas scored early in the second half to tie, but again Pa. State responded with two goals--and they ball-control game kept Arky at bay the rest of the game. Pa. State's back four gets talked about a lot, but they have attacking talent and look like a serious title contender.

18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Univ. of Idaho Vandals of the Big Sky have moved indoors, permanently, into the Kibbie Dome. I know the coach wanted to make the move, and then came such heavy rains last Fall that the outdoor venue became waterlogged and the team - due to host the postseason tournament as regular season champs - had to host at Eastern Washington instead (to whom they lost in the final tourney game). The school was going to change out the FieldTurf in the dome over the summer anyway, so soccer lines were included and away we went.

Yesterday was the first home game, which they promoted like crazy (from the university president on down), and which was played against in-state rival Boise State. The crowd was huge - 4171! - and the game dramatic. Idaho tied the game with .4 seconds left, and it ended 1-1 after overtime.

One downside for me: the Athletics Department distributed 2000 vuvuzelas. In an indoor arena, it was indeed cacophonous.

Gilmoy and cpthomas repped this.
  19. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Isn't it better just to play outside and get a better surface? Taking the outdoors away makes the game a little more bland.

20. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so gonna sneak a GoPro in there ... and use that din as my ringtone :D

21. MountaineerLegion

MountaineerLegion New Member

Nov 27, 2016

Seems like UVA has had our number for awhile. Stats were pretty even but they got it done. Coach Izzo-Brown will get em ready for Dusquene.

22. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Significant carnage over the weekend. What will week 3 bring

23. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Wisconsin, which got thumped by Stanford (0-5) went to UVA last night and beat the Cavaliers 1-0. Very solid defensive performance by the badgers. Next week UVA plays UCLA followed by Pa. State, both at home. Talk about getting steeled for conference play.....Lot of games tonight.

24. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Stuff it Virginia.

25. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would anyone be willing to put together a nice little list of who they think are the top seniors this year? It would be much appreciated.