2017 Confederations Cup - Qualifiers, News and Updates [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Paul Calixte, Jan 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Even if they send a "B" team to Russia this year they would be a threat to win. But having said that, if I was German, my enthusiasm for attending the tournament in-person would drop significantly if I found out that the B/C team would be playing there. So I can see what the ticket sales blow in Germany.

2. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Honestly I agree with what Germany is doing and that Portugal should do the same, rest the players..for many of them (especially the ones who played in the u21 final in 2015) this would be the third consecutive summer without a break....

Rest them all ffs.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think the higher ups at FIFA would like that.

4. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    they really don't care, as long as money keeps pouring in their pockets, they'll be ok with anything

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think they will care if a tournament they expect to have the likes of Ronaldo and Muller and they end up getting a bunch of U23 players.
    They may catch some flack from sponsors/ Television exectuives which by the way put money in their aforementioned pockets.

6. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Heard Portugal is going with everyone

7. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany can look at their trophy cabinet and think, "Yeah, we don't need this Confed Cup."

Portugal (and Chile), OTOH? Not so much.

And I don't think CR7's ego would let him pass up the chance to nab 2 NT trophies while Messi's still empty-handed...

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    New Zealand has scheduled friendly matches against Northern Ireland, An Irish club team in Dublin and Belarus to prepare for Russia, Mexico and Portugal.

(Oh boy.)

Paul Calixte repped this.
  9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Northern Ireland is second in their WCQ group with tied for the seventh best goal differential of the 54 UEFA countries in qualifying.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And?

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You implied New Zealand chose three easy games to prepare for the Confederations Cup. The game against Northern Ireland isn't so easy.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't believe the teams they chose are good preparation for the various styles of play and quality they will face in Russia.

Nothing against Northern Ireland but the stats you bring up don't really show their quality. Just that they have faced some pretty bad teams in their Qualifying Group.
    I do think they are radiatively playing decently though.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Then again, No Ireland has been better than the Russia NT for the past couple of years.

14. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #391 Rickdog, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    They chose among those willing to play against them.

Given New Zeland's position in the FIFA ranking, playing friendly matches against them, for any high ranked team (above top 50), even if they win against New Zeland, at the end, that team is going to lose points in the ranking table.

Just for facts, New Zeland was pretty lucky to get the Northen Ireland team, currently ranked 26, as opponent, which was probably the best team in Europe, that they could actually get . You got to give credit to North Ireland, in not giving much importance to their own ranking position, as through that match, whichever result they get, they are destined to fall a few positions, due to it. Although it wouldn't be unlikely that one or both teams make more than 7 substitutions during the match, as doing so, it invalidates the result of the match for the FIFA rankings, and the match is considered as if it was never played.
    (if I were a northen leprechaun, that's preciselly what I would do :p ).

Besides, the other issue not least important, is that no team really risks in having their own players mood completely disturbed, with only a few weeks before an important tournament takes place, where they are going to participate, as it is widely known, that if your team gets trashed in those previous matches, afterwards when the tournament begins, the performance of those players gets affected, and likewise, don't play after trying to get a good result, but instead are more worried on not getting trashed again, reasons why they don't usually perform up to their best during the competition which matters for them.

15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    glennaldo_sf repped this.
  16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  17. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder when we are actually going to get them. I bought my ticket for the final months ago, but it still hasn't come through yet. They said "sometime in May" when I wrote to them. Would be useful to get as would probably help me get my Russian visa... :mad:

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    With less than a month to go it's time for a new thread.