2017 Chicago Red Stars

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by MRAD12, Jan 5, 2017.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    holden and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #2 MRAD12, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Let's take a look at Chicago red Stars needs going into the draft next week.
    Just my opinions.

Goalkeeper
    They have:
    Alyssa Naeher, Michele Dalton
    You have the starting goalkeeper for the USWNT going into non-Olympic, nonWWC year(s). Very serviceable 2nd string keeper and local player in Dalton.
    What to add in draft: Nothing to change there.

Defense
    They have:
    Johnston, Short, Gilliland, Johnson, Naughton, Gordon
    IMO, the best defense in the league.
    What to add in the draft: Maybe add another outside defender as depth.

Midfield
    They have:
    Colaprico, DiBernardo, Comeau, Mautz, Raetzman, Luba,
    If I remember Rory played Huerta in midfield as well last season and she did great, IMO.
    This is where I would add a couple from the draft. CRS need a couple outside mids that can play in tight spaces and can move north and south fast and furious. Mautz has been there for a long time but IMO, is a good/average player. I like Raetzman but she rarely played last season, Comeau is good but like Mautz. Luba rarely plays.
    Colaprico and DiBernardo are among the best in midfield in the league. That stays.
    What to add in the draft: It would be great if somehow CRS could add to that midfield with a diamond in the rough player in the second round that can start alongside Colaprico and DiBernardo.

Forwards
    They have:
    Christen Press, Sofia Huerta, Cara Walls, Jen Hoy, Stephanie McCaffrey
    You start off with arguably the best forward in the league. Red Stars and Red Stars fans are lucky and should be thankful every game to have Christen Press in Chicago. Sofia Huerta and Press have started to feel each other on the field and are jiving very well at the end of last season. McCaffrey is should now have a full season to be up front with Press as well. Hoy regressed last season. She needs to do better right out of the gate if she wants much playing time.
    What to add in draft: It wouldn't be a bad idea to add one or two more fire-power players. A player that can score is always welcome. Maybe CRS can come across another Lynn Williams somewhere in the draft.

The Red Stars have a good team that has been together for several years. The only thing they can do is add more depth or find one, maybe two good player(s) in the later rounds that can start, proving themselves by beating out a current player and also give one or two top local players coming out of college a chance as well. Don't be surprised to see a local Chicago kid like Crystal Thomas out of Georgetown being drafted.

As a season ticket holder and one who follows this team heavily, I expect nothing less in the 2017 season than a playoff spot and hopefully a Championship this time. Providing all players from last season return.

Like I said, just my, as a fan, opinions.

ceezmad, CoachJon, mamalia and 1 other person repped this.
  3. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    @MRAD12 I pretty much agree with you. Outside mid and some more goal-scoring threats. I think I like VDB more in middle of pitch, especially if we continue to have outside backs who are able to charge forward. She is effective anywhere but think she can do more from central position. Jen Hoy had a tough season last year, but it seems she is doing well over in the W-League, so I hope that carries over for her. Impressed that a gal with an Ivy League degree and no national team prospects is still working on her game and showing commitment to the league. I also like Alyssa Mautz' fighting spirit, but she is very inconsistent (except for her unfortunate tendency for reckless fouling) and you never know if she will have an impact in a game or not. I guess we shouldn't be surprised that our late picks did not see much time on the field, but hard to have much of a positive impression, there. Will be interested to see who sticks on the roster. I am still waiting for (but hoping against) a shoe to drop with Press - people keep suggesting she is not all that happy at Red Stars and we know she loved her time overseas and is in a position to make that happen again, if she wants.

CoachJon repped this.
  4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Oh yeah, in my observations above I forgot to mention the acquisition of Summer Green.

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #5 MRAD12, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    Chicago Red Stars Draft:

I think Rory got what he needed for the most part out of this draft to supplement the returning "veterans".

As I said a couple of posts above, CRS needed one or two more midfield help to go with Colaprico and Dibernardo.
    They got that with 5'10" Morgan Proffitt who will be the tallest player in the middle. And a "local" kid from Indiana who also played for the Red Stars reserves the last couple of summers. She is a physical player from what I know and should alleviate some pressure from Dibernardo to push more up this season. I see her starting this year.

I also said that it wouldn't be bad to add another player that can score. I think they may have that with Michele Vasconcelos. From the videos I've seen she looks like a little dynamo with speed and skill to go into the box. She is a flank player that can play both midfield and forward and has a mean cross. My reading says she is a very hard worker, which Rory I believe, loves as a quality that can do well to connect the back line with the forwards. Hopefully she will be dangerous on that left flank.

Red Stars 3rd pick I'm not sure of. I was kind of surprised. But maybe Rory knows something some of us do not.
    They state that she is one of the best utility players around. I honestly do not know what that means but we'll see.
    I was thinking they may draft Georgetown forward Crystal Thomas a local Chicagoan and former Eclipse Select player with that last pick.

Red Stars traded several picks as I recall for top picks in 2018. I am glad to see that the Red Stars brass is looking forward to the future. Many feel next year will be an expansion year and that the Red Stars will lose some key players including, maybe Christen Press if there is an LA Club in the NWSL. Rory is doing well to position himself for top draft picks for when that happens. Also, and this is just me thinking, I don't know how long Julie Johnston will remain in Chicago with her fiance, playing football for Philadelphia.

Hopefully the Red Stars have all the pieces this year to finally win the long awaited Championship!

CoachJon repped this.
  6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    CoachJon repped this.
  8. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    The red stars have a new logo, I like it.

upload_2017-2-7_12-1-57.png

Semblance17 and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I like it as well. Nice.

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Very sleek and stylish! I liked the old one too, but it always did feel a little blocky.

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Went to the Choose Your Seat event at Toyota Park today. I'm keeping my same seat as last year, close to the tunnel and just to the left of the home bench 3rd row.

Courtney Raetzman and Casey Short were there signing autographs. I am thrilled for Short. A real Chicago girl on the USWNT. I may be wrong but I don't think Chicago has had a player on the senior USWNT since Debbie Keller almost 20 years ago. Not talking about Press, Johnston, Naeher, they are from other states playing in Chicago.

CoachJon repped this.
  12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  13. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CoachJon and Myrtle repped this.
  14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  15. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  18. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  20. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    I was shocked when Simone Kolander didn't get drafted. Two-time Big Ten Forward of the Year...and not just a goal poacher...great with her feet and splitting the defense, can score, pass, has a great speed and height combination. Yet NWSL teams drafted forward after forward from the Big Ten ahead of her.

Makes me wonder if the front offices are actually doing any scouting at all or just listening to their buddies. Would be very surprised if she doesn't make the final roster for Chicago.

21. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a good home opener crowd

23. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Haha! Seen Huerta and Johnston make that same play at least 20 times. Johnston passes to Huerta, Huerta scores. Huerta passes to Johnston, Johnston scores. They're interchangeable...