2017 Attendance

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by cpthomas, Mar 29, 2017.

1. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still have 2 days to sell tickets. A sell-out may not happen, but it'll still be a fantastic number.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think NCFC/RailHawks only has one sell-out at the current capacity (one of the LigaMX friendlies)

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

And what league were the Dick Kerr Ladies in?

They were barnstormers who drew between 4K and 50K. I don’t think there are totals for all their matches.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The I Just Met Her League.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's your medians:

WUSA

WPS

NWSL

All-time:
    WUSA....6,155
    WPS......3,589
    NWSL....3,470

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Stupid closed leagues keeping the US Women down. If we had pro/rel, people would be rushing to invest in professional women's soccer and the knock-on improvements in player development would lead to us being one of the world powers, possibly even world champions.

sitruc repped this.
  7. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I wonder what the median the French league?

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Interesting little point of comparison:
    The attendance of the LigaMXFemenil final has been mentioned elsewhere on the boards around here, with impressive numbers exceeding anything NWSL has done - over 60k from the two legs.
    Dropped in the WorldSoccerMag's latest edition are some more numbers:

The four semifinal matches were relatively well-attended, totaling over 43k for an average of about 10k/match, so about what NWSL playoff matches get. (Worth noting that the 60k from the final's two legs included free tickets for women, so LMXF wasn't getting big gate from it, which might also have affected the seminfinals.)
    I'm most interested, though, in the fact that the season average is also stated, which i haven't seen anywhere else yet. A bit over 2,700/match, so definitely less than the NWSL average even if you exclude the outlier of Portland, though still well ahead of the FA WSL.

BostonRed repped this.
  9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Kansas move to Utah."

Jesus. These people still think "Kansas City" means the club's name was "City" (they did this with the Wizards, too) and FCKC didn't move to Utah.

Twits.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Utah Jayhawks?

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

They are the same folks who think there is Jazz in Utah.

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think that title is less of a misinterpretation than just a journalistic norm of shortening names as much as possible while still being recognizable. I've seen it with SLC teams and OKC teams, too.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not believe that to be true. It may be true. I just don't believe it.

Shortening "Kansas City" to "Kansas" makes zero sense. Z-E-R-O. If we had a team in Rapid City, South Dakota, would "Rapid" be an acceptable shorthand? (And don't get me started on the Tampa/Tampa Bay bullshit, either.)

Lazy-ass haughty British ********s who just assume everything in the world goes by their goddamned conventions.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What's much worse than that is when Toronto journalists do it. Where the Blue Jays have been in the American League for 40 years, playing the Kansas City Royals every ********ing year. I've never once heard/read them refer to the Royals as "Kansas", but the Wizards and now Sporting get it all the time. Despite that these Canadian journalists can't claim some sort of geographic ignorance.

15. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    To add to the insult, the Kansas City FC played their matches in Kansas City, Missouri -- not Kansas.

The Royals stadium is also in Missouri.

To me the acceptable abbreviation is KC.....not "Kansas."

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Kansas hasn't been "acceptable" since Kansas City was old Kansas town. When the trading community next to Westport named itself, one of the other choices was "Possum Trot". While KC is at the confluence of the Kansas and Missouri rivers, the locals don't call the Kansas River by its official name. Locally, it is known as the Kaw River.

"Kansas" is a state and a university. The only "Kansas" soccer team I'm aware of is the Jayhawks women's team.

"City" is part of the name, not a description. You can refer to Leicester City as Leicester all you want, or "New York City" as "New York", but "Kansas City" is "Kansas City".

references:
    - born/raised in Kansas City
    - attended University of Kansas

sitruc and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Another attendance comparison to add to the mix: this year's W-League
    http://equalizersoccer.com/2018/02/...grand-final-for-showdown-with-melbourne-city/