2017-2018 U-23 / Asian Games Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Jitevra, Jun 23, 2017.

1. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    I don't know how strong their u23 team is but it seems like it's their A team considering they brought their 9 players that have appearances for Vietnam senior team. So basically our u23 B/C team beat their u23 A team. It's no big deal.

2. TaegukRedDevil

Jan 30, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    If only it could be Shin Tae Yong coaching U-23 and Hiddink the KNT. Then there wouldn't be many worries.

10August2012 and chook90 repped this.
  3. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Btw it's good to see Cho Youngwook score. He's still 18.

4. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I don't think we can rely solely on our players' qualities in short tournaments.

Shit can happen if less stellar teams park the bus against us during knock-out rounds and our coach is clueless how to overcome the situation.

Angel Bear repped this.
  5. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It's still Vietnam

LeeSeungWoo repped this.
  6. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Didn't this team (Vietnam u23) beat K-league all star or something and people really didn't care. The players seem to know each other very well and is highly rated in their country. Our team is some players that got released by their clubs (most being fringe/no name) + university based players and we still beat them 2-1 (3-1 if we scored that PK).
    Most of these dudes won't even be in our Asian Games which is a competition that's probably lower than this AFC u-23 championship.
    If there's one thing I do worry about is which players this manager picks for AG.

jessypjs repped this.
  7. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #108 ChaDuRi671, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    This Vietnam U23 team is one of the better teams in their region. A good number of their core senior team players also play for this team.

Also, Yoon Seung-won should never take PK's again. We need all the goals we can get in this group of death.

10August2012, jessypjs, chook90 and 3 others repped this.
  8. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Unrelated question: if the 2020 AFC U-23 tournament acts as the 2020 Olympics Qualifier, what happens if Australia ends up top 3 (or 2, since Tokyo is hosting the games)?

I believe Australia is not part of Asian sub-organization for the IOC, unlike their football association.

9. DHMGKorea

DHMGKorea Member

Chelsea
    South Korea
    Oct 11, 2016
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    usually olympic football tournaments are still organized with FIFA, so australia would be considered "Asia" in terms of qualification.

chook90 repped this.
  10. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    match @ 8:30 pm

11. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    A win against Syria today means that we are pretty much guaranteed a place in the knock out stage.

Australia lost 1-0 to Park Hang-seo's Vietnam.

12. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
  13. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    FYI, speaking of military status of Son Heung-min, he is classified as Level 4 (4급), which requires him to serve as a Social Service Agent (공익) because he dropped out of high school.

Failure to win Gold in the Asian Games or any medal in the Olympic Games will result him to play for a K3 League club during his service.

Watching how this U-23 squad is playing so far, that's what most likely he will end up with.

14. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    i hope kim bongkil has the decency to walk out on his own at the end of the tournament. the international scene is out of depth for him

ChaDuRi671 and chook90 repped this.
  15. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Ahh this thread is depressing. If only SHM was included in that Olympic team that medaled :(

16. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    blame Leverkusen

LeeSeungWoo repped this.
  17. TaegukRedDevil

Jan 30, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    you mean Hamburg? Leverkusen denied Son to the Asian Games team that won 1st place not the Olympics team.

nmssis repped this.
  18. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    In both cases it was Son and his father who decided not to go, if I remember correctly.

19. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    yes, them

20. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    If I was to select the squad based on last season:
    Starting XI:
    Son Heungmin-Suk Hyunjun-Hwang Heechan
    Lee Seungwoo-Kwon Changhoon
    Jang Yunho/Won Dujae
    LB-Kim Minjae-Hwang Hyunsoo-Park Jaewoo
    Kang Hyeonmu

Back up starting XI:
    You Juan
    Lee Jinhyun-Lee Kangin-Paik Seungho
    Han Chanhee-Hwang Inbeom
    LB-Son Giryeon-Go Myeongseok-RB
    Lee Taehee

Third gk-Park Seongsu

Our biggest weakness is fullbacks, I have hard time search for some decent fullbacks. Our CBs are too good either after Kim Minjae and Hwang Hyunsoo. I'll be nice to have a decent backup striker for Suk Hyunjun.
    Hopefully our rookies and our u23 players stand out this season.

21. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    No, Leverkusen. When we won the Asian Games in Incheon, the KFA begged Leverkusen to release him for 1 or 2 matches to avoid this mess. Instead, they refused and made him play against some shit team in the group stages of the champions league iirc.

22. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Incorrect.

23. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I reckon that's how the Spurs will basically force Son to sign a new contract. Either sign a new low-paid contract or he has to go back to Korea for military service in 2019.

24. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    @jinseokyang
    just letting you know this particular tournament isn't the qualifier for the olympics. The next tournament in 2 years will be the important one.
    Oh my dear god it’s a complete mess out there. Manager Kim Bongkil has absolutely no idea what he’s doing – he called up a very frustrating XI (missing many of the best U23 players we have) and keeps fielding players who clearly are out of their league (Yoon Seungwon, who has not only been ineffective but also hilariously missed a penalty, continues to play as the central #10 playmaker…). At this rate there’s a good chance we won’t qualify for the Olympics. Yes, you heard me, we’re that bad right now.
    http://www.taegukwarriors.com/weekend-roundup-nt-news-shm-still-fire/