2017-2018 NBA season thread.

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by benni..., Oct 24, 2017.

1. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ben and Lebron don’t work together

2. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We haven’t seen all of Ben’s game yet?

Yea, I would guess that LBJ could make 2 costumed mascots & a couple ushers into a decent side.

Embiid & JJ set roles, the rest rotate around matchups. Inside/outside Ben/LBJ. - bring it on.

thebigman repped this.
  3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just can’t see him coming here

Lakers or cavs imo

4. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think he's coming to the Lakers. But I do wonder about the 6ers... It would probably be an intriguing team that could pose some major matchup problems for even the Warriors. However, I think the 6ers kind of feel like they already have a potentially championship calibre core just by developing the likes of Simmons, Fultz, and Embiid organically. Bringing LeBron in would accelerate the timeline to NEED TO BE GREAT RIGHT NOW when I think the 6ers are okay to do things slower.

Haole and thebigman repped this.
  5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lebron lines Ben and could be an amazing mentor

Just can’t see it happening

6. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's up with Fultz? Surgery or no? Forgot all about him.

7. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Also what's Philly's cap situation? Having recently PAID Embiid, do they have the space for LeBron?

8. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw this and was so happy!

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    God knows

Probably won’t play till next year lol

10. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Ben cant shoot. LeBron cant shoot.

Not a good mix.

thebigman repped this.
  11. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Eh... LeBron can shoot. He's no Curry, but he can knock down the 3.

12. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Cant shoot is a slight exaggeration.

Is LeBron a reliable 3pt shooter?

Players who shoot a higher percentage this season.

Aaron Gordon
    Tyreke Evans
    Jeff Teague
    Taurean Prince

13. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That feels like a disingenuous stat when you consider that LeBron is shooting 41% from three this season. That’s a solid percentage regardless of who exactly is shooting better.

sitruc and onefineesq repped this.
  14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could Kobe shoot? Because LeBron has a higher 3 point percentage than he did for his career. I only use him as an example because people thought he COULD shoot not long ago when he was in the league. LeBron is judged by a ridiculous standard.

15. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Lebron is a career 34% 3pt shooter.

He has only ever shot over 40% twice in his 15 year NBA career. This is the first ever time he has averaged up to 2 made 3pt shots pg.

I guess my point is, I dont see how LeBron fits on Philly if Fultz shot/shoulder needs work and Simmons cant shoot.

16. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Id never want to leave Kobe with any space on any shot inside half court.

Lebron? Id see if he's hot, before i decide how aggressive id close him out.

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #192 onefineesq, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    So then you ARE being unreasonable. Over the course of a 20 year career for Kobe and 15 for LeBron, LeBron has been a better 3pt shooter. Period. There is simply no debate about it. It's pure fact. So if you think LeBron is a terrible 3 point shooter, Kobe was a shite 3 point shooter. Full stop. You have to be consistent or re-think your position on other players as well.

Edit: And just to put your other post in perspective, Kobe NEVER shot 40% from 3pt range. So knocking LeBron for ONLY doing it twice while defending Kobe's shooting is bizarre. His best season was 38.3%.

Edit2: And yes, Kobe averaged 2 made 3 pointers per game on 3 occacions, but did so while shooting a ton of 3 pointers each game and shooting anywhere from 28.5% to 34.7% on those attempts.

18. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    If there was one shot one 3 to take to win, youd want LeBron to take it instead of Kobe?

I have one thought. People play off LeBron regularly. He gets way more open looks from 3. Kobe gets pressed from half court onwards.

People are more scared of LeBron driving past them, then him hitting perimeter shots.

19. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #194 onefineesq, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Again, yes. The numbers for late game shots says that LeBron has made a higher percentage of those than Kobe as well. In fact, Kobe's late game percentage is fairly atrocious, despite his reputation.

My thought about your thought ... I am not going to give Kobe more credit because he took more stupid shots. You are judged on the shots you take. If Kobe had more pressure on him just over half-court, then he should have had an easier time driving to the bucket when defenders got too close. However, if you look at Kobe's numbers in the paint, they are MILES behind LeBron's.

So LeBron, despite being laid off of by defenders (in your opinion) was able to overcome that problem and still get into the lane and finish at an incredibly higher rate than Kobe, but Kobe couldn't find a way to shoot 3s better than LeBron despite being a better 3 point shooter (again, in your opinion)?

Sorry, but enough excuse making. You just don't like LeBron. Your position isn't rational as it does not reflect the numbers on the ground. Heck, I hate Tom Brady, but you have to accept the obvious sometimes.

20. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

21. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBA legends agree? I see tons of NBA legends who dont agree as well. As for the numbers, look up nba stats on basketball reference. Most of the numbers come from there. And if you go to the advanced stats, which show defensive numbers, the difference between Kobe and LeBron is even more stark on that side of the ball.

It isnt a matter of you disliking LeBron. It is a matter of you disliking him, causing you to ignore the data for your own personal feelings. The data does not support your conclusion. I can like Ben Rothlisberger and hate Tom Brady and still come to the conclusion that their resumes show that one, OBJECTIVELY, is much better than the other ... and it aint the one who quarterbacks the team I support in Pittsburgh.

And by the way, I would propose that Jordan likes Kobe because Kobe patterned his entire game after him. Flattery and all that.

22. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching Thunder v Spurs ... Spurs are going to lose this game because of personnel issues, but are 15-7 coming in. Missing 4 key players tonight, including Aldridge, I just don't see how they continue to be this effective. It is absolutely amazing.

sitruc repped this.
  23. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Popovich is a wizard.

24. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only lost by 3, and actually led with 6 minutes left on the road with no Aldridge, Ginobili, Parker and Leonard (the last 2, obviously). POP only played Gasol 16 minutes, Green 18 minutes and Paddy Mills 9 minutes. He functional played the game with his 8-14th players on his team, and nearly won on the road against Westbrook, Carmelo, George, Adams, etc. Wizard is probably an understatement.

sitruc repped this.
  25. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I looked back to see how Kobe even entered the conversation.

This whole thing started from this Philly, Lebron rumor. You think LeBron and Simmons seems like a good fit? I maintain that neither player are reliable enough (generally) behind the 3pt line.

Do you disagree or agree?