2017/18 Offseason Player Movement & Rumors

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Dills, Oct 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team was not bought with taxpayer money. We really need to stop with that narrative. The development that made the stadium possible and its fair to say by extension the purchase of the team possible did involve taxpayer money, but this is not a simple case of Sugarman and his partners fleecing the county, state or city. The former governor and the county government were 100% complicit and fell all over themselves to make this happen.The on and off ramps to the bridge are also huge benefit to the city and should be exploited. It's also important to note that the economy froze very quickly after this deal was inked. I really do not want to give Sugarman a pass but that deal was negotiated by a variety of parties who wanted the stadium to happen. It being a bad deal for Chester is not something which can be laid at the feet of the Union.

We do not know that to be the case. There are still four open expansion slots. The value of his team, top four or five market with a ready built stadium and other infrastructure certainly becomes more attractive and valuable with each slot filled. We also already know Graham tried to buy a larger stake.

jaykoz3, thomas19064 and Starpork repped this.
  2. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Delaware County contributed $30 million and Pennsylvania $47 million. Are you suggesting that the county and state were searching around to build a stadium that would be paid for with taxpayer money? Wasn't it a matter of Union Ownership group creating a plan that they presented and the politicians rallied behind the plan?

It's an enormous amount of capital skimmed from the public coffers to private investors. And the promises of redevelopment has never materialized and the jobs stink. Does anyone have a clue how much the Union have to pay for rent? Does it cover the costs of the stadium?

3. djramone

djramone Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that this is what our Offseason Player Movement thread consists of speaks volumes.

4. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Presenting a plan and garnering political support does not guarantee the expenditure. Politicians in both the state and county have to actually vote to use the funds let alone negotiate a deal to make it happen. Its not as if the Union bullied or forced the state and county to hand over that money, some of which was part of a fund that was more or less use it or lose it if I recall as well. Governments refuse these sorts of deals regularly. It got done because there was some desire to "do something for chester", some politicians make have gotten campaign contributions or had a favor called in, unions and construction companies lobby, the public buys the jobs and development story, etc.

The redevelopment is definitely something to discuss, but a lot of that came down to the economy tanking and MLS changing. If practicing in Chester Park Bro was still acceptable in MLS maybe the development there is something other than fields and a practice facility. We know this isn't an org that will go out and buy new property when it has some on hand.

The public policy complaints are really separate and not of the Union's making. Elected officials bought into this, they weren't forced into it. It isn't fair to lay that at Sugarman's feet. He did what any other land developer or business looking to move would do, ask for a deal. Beyond that, if the politicians did say no there'd be no Union today and some other group locally would be angling for an even bigger state and local handout to get something done and most of us would be all over it.

Starpork and jaykoz3 repped this.
  5. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is all this discussion about politics/money surrounding the founding of the team?

I thought Nicky Sak just went to Garber and had his credit card swiped.

6. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was only saying that Sugarman is in fact smart. He took advantage of a system that allowed him to secure over $70 million of taxpayers money which allowed him to start the franchise. He used taxpayers money to fund his business and depends on other Owners to expand the profile of the league. Remember OPM? He's learned this well. Meanwhile, he can sit back and watch his investment grow, occasionally popping his head up to talk about 5 year plans, building from within, etc. These are all very smart and savvy moves as an investor. It's just that meanwhile, people who actually care about the team are getting shafted year after year.

7. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with all of that!

8. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry, guys. We didn't lose anyone to LAFC's expansion cherry picking.

OldRetiredCoach, billf and thomas19064 repped this.
  9. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phew...the core of our title winning team stays intact!

CyphaPSU, nhlman10, billf and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    940663429001596929 is not a valid tweet id

11. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    We have to turn over the roster, anyway.

12. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IDGAF
    940686989682204672 is not a valid tweet id

13. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #188 thomas19064, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2017
    buzzkiller23 repped this.
  14. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    They for sure would have nabbed Fabinho if he were available. Pretty sure he's the only guy in the league that plays left back, left mid, and left wing.
    OPTION PICKED UP ... is probably what the interns yell every time they get a sucker to renew their tickets.

Phillyspur, buzzkiller23 and thomas19064 repped this.
  15. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So in light of the Ayuk return let’s talk right wing and wtf the Union plan on doing... still trying to resign Herbers I guess since they protected him, plus Epps still there.... if Herbers gets resigned he has to be #1 with Ayuk as his backup/speedy sub off the bench and Epps banished to Bethlehem I guess? Either way 3 mediocre guys on our right side at that position, nothing to get excited about.

16. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This made me giggle. Never really seen the guy as fast.

17. TheNorthernLiberties

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  18. MikeF

MikeF New Member

May 11, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Each day we get to read the rumors of what player is going to sign with what club....none of which ever involve the Union. Hell, there are USL club's who've gone out and signed 3-4 new players (all of which might actually be an upgrade to our current roster)....while our activity consists of bringing back Ayuk from loan. Yeah....this season is going to be sooooo much different.....thankfully I finally got smart and didn't renew my season tickets!

thatsumner, nhlman10, cwelch999 and 2 others repped this.
  19. unionrules

unionrules Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    They're doing it again.

billf repped this.
  20. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LAFC only has 10 players and they are already better than us.

21. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Within the past hour I've seen more Atlanta Utd news, and it gets crazier by the headline.

Hernandez, Nagbe/Arokoyo, and (sounds like a done deal) Barco. Absolutely bonkers!

22. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Union had Atlanta’s season last year they would have had a parade and locked in for the next 5 years with no player changes. Atlanta on the other hand has a desire to improve themselves.

23. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I was serious when I said Marquez would be a good pick for them, then they took two other guys and flipped them for Ciman. So yep, they're already way ahead of anything we can even wish for.

buzzkiller23 and billf repped this.
  24. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I know I probably vastly overrate him 'cus he's one of my boys™(if anyone gets this as an OSW reference, we need to talk)--but I think he's objectively good and glad to still have him here. Some of these moves around the league tho...:oops:

Can't wait for the yearly rumors of some mystery no. 10 from a second division Central American club who trials with us for a few weeks and then we feel aggrieved when we find out it wasn't the right "fit." That's how gaslit we are.

thomas19064 repped this.
  25. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hence they took no one from the Union. "Phew," right?

I think the irony here is that the people who run the Union's Twitter account fail to realize that when an expansion side glosses past your roster in the expansion draft, that's not necessarily a good thing. What does that really say about your depth of talent?

buzzkiller23 repped this.