2017-18 Breakout Youngster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Patrick167, May 23, 2017.

1. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I would suggest a "youngster" is any U23 with less than 10 caps. This allows for discussion of some players that should be doing big things next year but have picked up a cap in a meaningless friendly or late sub appearance.

Hyndman, K. Acosta, W. Mckennie would seem to have the inside track on this "award" at this point. But when dealing with youth development; there are always surprises good and bad. Just off the top of my head there will be at least one such player in the EPL, at least 3-4 in the Championship, at least 2-3 in the Bundesliga, possibly 1 in Serie A, and many more in MLS. That is just when the seasons kick off in August.

Others the bookies will put odds on: Matt Miazga, Cameron Carter Vickers, Julian Green, Josh Sargent, Andrew Carlton, Erik-Palmer Brown, Gedion Zelalem, Luca De La Torre, Josh Perez, Haji-Wright, Lyndon Gooch, Marlon Fossey, Nick Lima, Ian Harkes, Jackson Yuiell, Pomykal, Tyler Adams, Justin Glad, Ethan Horvath, Brooks Lennon, and many more.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  2. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's tough to know, given it's dependent upon opportunity.

A safe type of bet for me is Cristian Roldan. He should be invited to Gold Cup and soon after be a fixture with the nt. That may also lead to a big 5 opportunity around the World Cup.

Also, Horvath is already starting for Brugge, who'll be in Champions' League next season and are Belgian League contenders. He could get an opportunity at Gold Cup to prove he's the heir apparent to Howard and put him in the conversation to start in the World Cup seeing as though Tim will be nearly 40.

Acosta also has a shout due to opportunity and some performance, although I'm not as high on him as most, at least as a cm.

But there are ones with greater upside who could really take off from a stock perspective like EPB, Carleton, Miazga, Sargent, Ferreira, CCV, Wright, Lewis, Adams, etc.; because either they are associated with a big club and aren't far from making the 1st team or they are teenagers on MLS teams where it would be impressive if they looked belonged already. You could make the argument Adams is already there.

Someone who I have a hunch about that's not close but recently debuted overseas and has talent is Isiah Young. He's off to a good start scoring on and assisting goals for Werder's youth team.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  4. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Let's not forget Richmond, Virginia's Nick Taitague.

6. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    If Acosta is included in this discussion (I'm assuming Kellyn) than I am wondering what would be counted as "breaking out"? What would be considered breaking out for Kellyn Acosta? If he hasn't broken out, then we can pretty much exclude any U23 currently in MLS (until they transfer to Europe), which would eliminate Carlton, Pomykal and a host of others.

I am fully aware that Acosta could (hopefully will) step it up to a whole new level but I believe the initial breakthrough is what we are talking about right? For that matter, Pulisic potentially could break through to another level too.

7. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think we are looking for a step up from the level they are at today. Acosta could be starting for the USMNT and Leverkuesen at this time next year. That would be a big jump. He cooked be an MLS all-star getting spot starts for the USMNT, kind of where he is now.

Pulisic has more than 10 caps. He won the "award" last year.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  8. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Shashuoa from Tottenham, Siebatcheu at Chateauroux, Tillman at Bayern, a few duals who could emerge.

And If Keaton Parks ever gets out of Portugal he's got a lot of potential.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  9. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    CCV. Tottenham have already hinted that he will have a larger role next year.

I think he he makes his debut in the gold cup.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic broke-out before that point actually, in winter 2015/2016. He's ancient now. Pretty soon he'll need dentures.

It was really too bad, but I'm not even sure there was a breakout player for 2016-17 in the end. There were several players who seemed on the cusp, i.e.: Wright, Perez, EPB, Koreniuk, CCV, etc.; but for one reason or another they never got the chance. The flip-side is there could be a lot of serious candidates at the end this year as a result.

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    EPB, Carleton, McKennie, Wright, Carter-Vickers. One of those five. Maybe Pomykal, if you want an under the radar player.

This is entirely dependent on being given the chance. I think all are good enough for first team playing time at a high level right now.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  12. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    True...But...2016 called and wants its post back.

13. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    My money is on EPB. McKennie wins runner-up.

Perez could emerge in a big way but I don't think it will be at Fiorentina. I could see a loan or a sale in the cards.

I also think Miazga could have a stellar year.

14. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I think that meaning is a bit different than I understood the latest go-round but that is fine. No one ever said it had to be the same. Basically, breakthrough means a significant improvement over where the young player is now with a few minimum standards ie. it doesn't mean stepping up a level at the youth level. It could be going from a youth/usl player to starter in MLS, or it could be going from a starter to the main guy or one of the main guys on MLS and a best eleven season etc. In addition, no repeat winners.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Pomykol seems like he's a year away from being considered in the CCV/McKennie/EPB category. I'd say the same for Taitague. Those kids need a little more time before they're going to "break out." We need to see more.........................

16. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I know he's off the boil but Kekuta Manneh

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #17 ussoccer97531, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    When he gets consistent first team playing time somewhere, WATCH OUT. I said it before the tournament, and I'll say it again, he's the best player at the U-20 WC. People have been talking about Sargent (and rightfully so), but Palmer-Brown was our best player in qualifying, and has been our best player so far in the U-20 WC. Players at this level have so far been incapable of challenging him.

18. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    This has always been a major problem with certain franchises in MLS. That EPB has wasted away on the reserves is ludicrous. Nor even sure if "certain" is correct. Could be every MLS team except Red Bulls just won't play great young players that might want to leave before they are 27.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I see EPB, with proper seasoning at a good club, to be a Pulisic level talent.

USSoccerNova and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  20. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I sure hope you are right!

21. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Me too :)

22. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haji

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Jesus Ferreira on the bench for FCD tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a thought. He's younger than Josh Sargent and Andrew Carleton.

He's a December 2000.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Need to get that kid citizenship. Would really like to see a Ferreira-Sargent-Carleton front 3 for the U-17's. Maybe it'll happen in time for the U-17 WC.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Think of the next U20 cycle with the front 6 in a 4-3-3 of Ferreira-Sargent-Carleton-Taitague-Pomykol-Adams.

Hot. Damn.

Too much attacking talent, and not enough bite defensively as Adams really isn't a #6.
    Maybe take out Pomykol and insert Chris Durkin as the #6. Adams will play as the 8?

Still......................Hot. Damn.

USSoccerNova repped this.