2016 WNY Flash

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by CoachJon, Mar 13, 2016.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Soccer is a Kick in the Grass ( http://www.soccerisakickinthegrass.com/) Monday evening, Paul Riley said Sanderson was supposed to get an MRI on Tuesday and he also said the Three Dreaded Letters.
    I've got no up-to-date news and there is nothing on her Twitter yet.
    The Flash shouldn't need her for Boston, but IF they make the playoffs, it would be great to have her.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Any idea if it was contact or not? Did he mention if the friendly will get posted?

3. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The word I'm getting from my little birdie is that it is You Know What. I hope the birdie is wrong.

kolabear and CoachJon repped this.
  4. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately my birdie was right.

5. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sobbing tears of joy so hard that it's a bit difficult to type right now. The Flash are back in the playoffs after a two year hiatus, and without any of the so-called "big names" on the roster. So unbelievably proud of the players and coaches for pulling it off!

kolabear, lil_one and CoachJon repped this.
  6. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding Player Moves this year, I am very pleased the Flash brought McCall Zerboni back; re-signed Kristen Hamilton after waiving her mid season, and decided to keep Britt Eckerstrom on the roster as third goalkeeper. These are things that promote team morale.

Back in the Playoffs again......:)

7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of what happens in the postseason, I don't see there being a lot of turnover in the offseason. 3-4 players leaving at the most. Most of the pieces are already in place, just maybe change one or two starters and beef up the bench a bit.

8. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do think they can keep Riley or should keep him?
    I'm going to save my speculations about player turnover until after the playoffs, and seeing who is going to Australia, etc.

9. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep Riley. The results over this season speak for themselves.

CoachJon repped this.
  10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer Sam show this morning - First 12-14 minutes are about the Flash.
    http://www.kickthis.com/media/audio/20161001.mp3
    • Rich Randall called in from Portland this morning - he said there are fans' tents pitched at the stadium and the overall atmosphere is generally crazy.
    • The Flash had to travel in two separate planes because they only had 4 days notice to get seats. They will be working out at the Nike complex today.
    • Soccer Sam is going to the game, so next Saturday's show should be entertaining.
    • For October - Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Soccer Sam's Salvatore's Pizza will be in pink boxes. A portion of revenues all month will be donated to the Brest Cancer Coalition of Rochester http://bccr.org/ Last year they donated $6,000 and he hopes to double that this year.

kolabear and BlueCrimson repped this.
  11. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    I haven't listened to this podcast before but discussion on the semifinal game and interview with Sam Mewis. Listening to it now
    2 Up Front: 2 Up Front #70 (Mark Litton and WNY Flash Sam Mewis)
    https://overcast.fm/ EtzjRjTVY
    Sam starts around 26m mark

CoachJon and BlueCrimson repped this.
  12. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So happy to see Dahlkemper and Williams get their first callups! Hopefully the first of many more to come!

And Lynn wins the MVP! It's been a great day to see these players rewarded for all their hard work this year.

Myrtle and CoachJon repped this.
  13. Sawedoff

Sawedoff Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Aug 9, 2015
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well deserved for both! Good stuff.

14. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What else is there to say, but....... CHAMPIONS!

CoachJon repped this.
  15. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    BlueCrimson repped this.
  16. Sawedoff

Sawedoff Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Aug 9, 2015
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, congratulations WNY! Still think it should have went the Spirit's way, but a great game and a great win.

CoachJon repped this.
  17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll say congrats, too. I don't like your coach (based on listening to him in a private conversation), but your team is really tough with some real talent.

CoachJon repped this.
  18. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #93 CoachJon, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    RE: Lynn Williams' KFTPM

Sabs D'Angelo was on 2 Up Front #72 ( 10/11/16): http://www.2upfrontsoccer.com/home
    Scroll down below the Mewis and Ohai photos to see the podcast.
    She said Williams can go either left or right and she drives them nuts in practice with it.
    (Remember the Flash were carrying three keepers at the end of the season.)

From a different article, I recall that Paul Riley laughed whenever he saw her take it.

I like the 2 Up Front guys; I've listened from time to time in the past - thanks @LucyFearsTheMorningStar for posting about them.

P.S. The Flash have not yet added "2016 NWSL Champions" to the list on the left side of their home page.

19. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Yeah, I just searched NWSL on my podcast app and they came up. I've since subscribed. Nice to see what started as a primarily MLS show add quite a bit of NWSL content.
    I'm sure I'll skip a lot as I don't really need twice a week MLS talk - I only corsorily have Red Bulls as my team.

Also, Men in Blazers had a Williams interview as well. They very rarely ever talk about NWSL and usually only have bigger names on so was nice to see her as a guest. Her interview started around 59th minute if I recall correctly

CoachJon repped this.
  20. nightofthelivingrefs

Jun 20, 2015
    NYC
    I watched the final on video, and I found it ugly and disappointing. Not in terms of which team won but the quality of play. For years, I have heard European players say that American style of play is too physical and less about technique, and I thought it was a perplexing and baseless argument. Now I see what the fuss was about.

The NWSL match was basically two hours of pushing, shoving and bodies flying and flopping to the ground - with a couple of great goals. One team players ran through the other with brute force, not ball skills. I don't know why no other women's match jumped out at me as having this same problem, but this one did.

I say this as a woman, and as a passionate supporter of the women's game: we have to do better.

Look, I am watching a men's game right now: Chelsea v. Leichester, and I see LESS dirty, sloppy playing: better ball skills... neat, clean passes and the men waiting (yes, WAITING) patiently for the right chance to pass an tackle, instead of the messy and frankly often dirty play of the Flash and Spirit grabbing the other players by the arm and yanking them down or outright tripping them.

This is the direction I would like to see the NWSL go. Maybe it takes better coaching. I can only assume they are playing the way their coaches are directing them to play.

21. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    such a broad conclusion.

don't you need a larger sample size?

have you seen fckc or crs or seattle reign play?

or even the uswnt against japan in the '15 wc final?

CoachJon and kolabear repped this.
  22. banks

banks New Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Any news or info on the new prospective keeper Karlee Waldvogel? Anyone have info??

23. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Flash plan on having D'Angelo as an allocated player. They have re-signed Rowland and exercised the option for Britt Eckerstrom. That doesn't leave much room for Waldvogel or any other keeper.

24. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #99 CoachJon, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  25. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States