2016 WNY Flash

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by CoachJon, Mar 13, 2016.

1. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    If you check Lynn's Instagram, she tags Taylor Smith and Britt Eckerstrom.

CoachJon repped this.
  2. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you say you watched this match?
    If so, how'd my PSU girls-Eckerstrom and Weber-do?
    Actually my question goes out to anyone who saw the game.
    Thanks.

4. WNYChelseaFan

WNYChelseaFan Member

Apr 5, 2014
    NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    CoachJon repped this.
  5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eckerstrom came in at 67 min. She appeared to have a few nerves at first, but settled in, and did everything she had to do. From what I can remember, there were no hard shot stops or tip-overs, but one or two rollers on goal she picked up. Her distribution was fine.

Hahn came in for Ayinde at the half and assumed the DM position, Andrade came in for Jeon and took up an attacking midfield spot.

Weber came in for Mewis at 73 min and was the other midfielder in front of Hahn. This positioning was not obvious to me from ground level on the sideline, but I figured it out afterward. I did not recognize Weber when she came in (no number), and unfortunately did not observe any of her play.

8MiLLeNiuM repped this.
  6. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weber and 2017 third round draft pick to Portland for 2016 international slot.

CoachJon repped this.
  8. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The turf is in:

holden repped this.
  9. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    So no more lines? Awesome

10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RE: Field Lines
    This has always been a soccer specific stadium, also used sometimes for other sports such as college and high school gridiron football and high school lacrosse [the professional lacrosse team no longer plays there]. When those sports play, those lines are added temporarily and sometimes they are not totally erased by the time the next soccer game plays.

11. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flash Academy joins ECNL: {Boston Breakers Academy and Seattle Reign Academy are also new to ECNL}

http://www.wnyflash.com/news/?article_id=368
    “We’ve always strived to compete at the highest level with our professional team who are now in their fourth season in the NWSL,” said WNY Flash Academy Director of Soccer Operations Aaran Lines. “As we have expanded our academy ECNL has always been a goal of ours as a club. Having ECNL in the Western New York area is unparalleled and we look forward to having Western New York players showcase themselves in the best youth soccer league in the United States.”

ECNL was founded in 2009 and is best known for its dedication to creating a league where the top female talent can compete against each other in order to further develop elite soccer players while empowering young women​

http://www.eliteclubsnationalleague.com/home/912108.html
    In the 2016-2017 season, each ECNL club will compete in five age groups (U14, U15, U16, U17, and U18/19) in regular season conference competition and ECNL National Events.​

12. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. WNYChelseaFan

WNYChelseaFan Member

Apr 5, 2014
    NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  14. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ticket vendor changed and it mucked things up. April 22 for sure:

We're extremely excited to announce our individual game tickets will be available tomorrow starting at 10am ET!

ORDER ONLINE
    Coming soon!
    ORDER BY PHONE
    Call the WNY Flash
    (585) 271-5425​
    ORDER IN PERSON
    WNY Flash Front Office
    664 University Ave.
    Rochester, NY 14607

15. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Thanks! I caught the delay on Twitter when the original date came. Will be on tomorrow to get my Dash game tickets. 2nd day back after the Olympic break so hopefully several of the players will be back. Luckily the break extends the full week after the final.

16. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I went to Sahlen's Stadium yesterday to buy a ticket to the Rhinos home opener on Saturday. I want to see the new turf and scoreboard in action and find out what other improvements will be in place, and of course see the defending USL champions play. I saw David and Wendy Dworkin there (the new Rhinos owners) ; but chose not to go up and say hello. Crews were doing cleanup and landscaping around the stadium and a team was out on the far end of the pitch training.

On a whim, I also went by the new Flash Rochester Front Office, which is in an arts & cultural hub, as well as a neighborhood of young singles and couples. The storefront office is empty space right now, except for a Foosball table and Kayla Kent sitting at a work table doing business via cell phone. She said the Season Tickets would be sent out in the next couple of days.

BlueCrimson repped this.
  17. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Field seats bought. August is so far away :cry:

CoachJon repped this.
  18. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stadium Report from Rhinos game last night. Rhinos 2-1 over Montreal Impact
    • I first guessed attendance at 5,000, revised it to 6,000 – the actual count was 5,124 – given the radio/media push from the new ownership, I expected more.
    • David and Wendy Dworkin were everywhere, acting like the hosts for a party at their own home. I did say Hi and shake hands this time. I like her a lot.
    • Turf. The turf seemed like it should have a “new car” smell. Balls rolled and bounced pretty well – the surface no longer being like an asphalt parking lot. Balls were kicking up rubber infill on the bounce, but the players’ feet generally did not. Footing looked fine – no slipping or catching.
    • Scoreboard. The video quality was fine, but how it was used was rudimentary. Player introductions were done before the teams came onto the pitch with individual photos of each starting player on both teams. Some replays were shown during the game. After the teams came out, presentation of the 2015 championship banner was preceded by reading the story of last season – but no highlights were on the video board. The "Sahlen’s Stadium" permanent graphic at the top of the scoreboard needs refreshing – it looked quite faded.
    • Field level seats. There are new Field Level seats on the east side of the pitch (seemed like oversized, very well cushioned folding chairs with cup holders and snack trays) situated behind the field level advertising signs.
    • The beer stands had primarily local Genesee Brewery products – I did not see any national brands. I had my first Genny Cream Ale in a long time – it was good.
    • Concessions. A major goal of the Dworkins is to greatly improve the quality of food service. Concessions from previous seasons were closed including all of those on the west side of the stadium, (sponsor Salvatore’s Pizza was closed, too). Signs were posted “Coming Soon – New Rochester Rhinos Food Concept” and “Coming Soon – Fireside Wine and Sports Bar” Four of the local food truck fleet were there, - a new thing, - presumably to take up the slack. The returning concessions were Dippin’ Dots and local staples Bill Gray’s and Nancy’s Fried Dough.
    • A beer tent was set up at the south end of the stadium – new feature. In the future, I think entrance will be included in the price for some of the seats, and others can pay an admission fee.

BlueCrimson repped this.
  19. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #44 CoachJon, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    Pre- Home Opener Flashpoints:
    • On Saturday, Rich Randall and Sam Mewis were on WHTK 1280 Radio’s Kick This!
    http://www.kickthis.com/media/audio/20160423.mp3

>> General Flash Talk from about 3:40 to about 14:20​

>> Sam Mewis from about 18:00 to about 24:20​
    • I expect the Flash will be on Soccer is a Kick in the Grass radio at 6:30 tonight
    http://www.soccerisakickinthegrass.com/
    • Catherine Zimmerman was waived and Meredith Speck was signed and started vs. Chicago.
    • Laura Liedle is apparently still in town. Per Rich Randall, she was going to do the ceremonial tip-off for the Rochester Razorsharks PBL basketball championship game on Sunday in Rochester- which they won……My comment: with Hinkle’s injury and Eddy’s poor play at right back – she may get a shot to make a game day roster.
    • IMO D’Angelo’s 84th minute save of Press’s attempt (see 4:50 of the highlight video) was way better than Harris’ widely acclaimed save of Beckie’s shot.
    • The Flash are starting the media campaign to get people to the game Friday . :) This morning, I missed Sam on 98.9 The Buzz radio and I missed Sam and Abby D. on live TV- Fox Rochester. :(
    • I plan on going to the open practice in Rochester tomorrow:
    After the practice, Sam Mewis will host Soccer Without Borders Free Clinic for youth, ages 6-16. Donations are suggested and special edition t-shirts will be available to purchase with all proceeds benefiting Soccer Without Borders!

Includes: 1 free ticket to the WNY Flash home opener on Friday, April 29 for all participants in the clinic Courtesy of TSE Gates. Family/Friends are able to purchase additional tickets at a discount of $10.​

20. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    I went to the open practice this afternoon and watched some of the clinic afterward. They were indoors. Today was rainy and below 45 most of the day, so that was good.

I did not see any wraps or bandages. Some of the players wore tights, so I wouldn’t know. Jaelene Hinkle took part in the warm-up exercises and I did not observe that she limped or favored one foot at all – she bent either foot the same way. During hops, she landed on either foot just the same. She did not participate after warm-ups; everything was with a ball the rest of practice.

Jess McDonald and Jeon Gaeul were not there. I asked about Jeon, and found out she had gone back to South Korea, and was expected to be back in town within the next couple of days. I didn’t ask about Jess.

I did see Laura LIedle and there was one other non-roster player who I could not identify.

Vallow ran the warm-ups and drills and helped with the small-sided games. Someone else worked with the keepers. The keepers did not warm-up with the rest of the team.

They played an 8 v 8 game the width of the field, only X players could be in the attacking half until Y number of passes were completed. Then they did a 5 v 5 with a rover game with goals and keepers between the halfway line and goal line, full width. Three teams of 5, team that scored stayed and the other teams swapped.

I thought the team of Williams, Kennedy, Eddy, Niemiec and Andrade spent the most time playing.

Jeff DiVeronica and TVChannels 8 and 13 did interviews afterward. Riley spent a lot of time with them – easily more than 10 minutes. Abby D was interviewed and then Sam. After the TV guys left, Jeff stayed a while and had a conversation with Sam. I’ll tune into the 10 and 11 o’clock news.

This is too long, but I will mention that Sam assigned the age 6 and under kids to Sabrina D’Angelo, and she was great. Also I thought the red tee shirts were very nice. Soccer without Borders logo on the front and WNY on the back with “playing for change” above the flash logo. No Sahlen’s branding.

21. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Discounted tickets for Friday night - New York State West Soccer .....includes all the USSF youth and adult teams in Western NY.
    Discounted Tickets Available to NYSW SOCCER FAMILIES
    General Admissions: $10
    Reserved: $15
    Club: $20​

22. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RE: Stadium Naming Rights and Jessica McDonald interview.

On Monday, during WYSL Radio's Soccer is a Kick in the Grass, the Rhinos Chief of Soccer Operations, Pat Ercoli said that "As of right now, Sahlens has not renewed naming rights, so it is 'Rhinos Stadium'"

Our local Media are calling it Rhinos Stadium and only the Flash are calling it Sahlen's Stadium. Previously naming rights were negotiated between the Flash and the City of Rochester, but now tthe Flash need to negotiate with the Rhinos Owners - David and Wendy Dworkin. Since the Dworkins have spent $500-600,000 on the new turf and other improvements which benefit the Flash, I suspect they are looking for a substantial fee for the naming rights. - i assume that it is also linked to any rental fees the Flash need to pay in order to play there. The Sahlen's Stadium signs are still up, which is a clue that the Dworkins have not found another sponsor.

Jessica McDonald was interviewed at the beginning of the program, between about 3:50 and about 13:05 on the
    Podcast:

http://www.soccerisakickinthegrass.com/

23. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New York State West State Cup/National Championship Series May-June 2016
    WNY Flash Academy teams WON the State Cup:
    • Flash Girls Under 13 with three wins: 2-0, 3-0, and 6-2 [Head Coach: Aaran Lines];
    • Flash Girls Under 17 with three wins: 11-0, 3-0, and 11-0 [ Head Coach: Aaran Lines];
    • Flash Girls Under 19 with two wins: 9-0 and 1-0 [Head Coach: Lew Potter]

BlueCrimson repped this.