2016 WNY Flash

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by CoachJon, Mar 13, 2016.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pre-season starts on Monday, so 2016 is officially here.

Twitter indicates that the following players are in Buffalo:
    Leon, Hahn, Williams, Doniak, Eddy, McDonald

Erceg and D’Angelo played in Portugal on Wed the 9th.
    Hahn, Dahlkemper, and Doniak played in Croatia on Mon the 7th.
    Mewis and Hinkle played in Boca Raton on Wed the 9th.
    Kennedy still has media commitments in Australia.

I have no intel on Moros, Jeon, Ayinde, Andrade, Hamilton, Weber, Eckerstrom, or Liedle.

Open tryouts were Friday and Sat. 3/11 and 3/12 – I heard last weekend that they had tons of players sign up and were considering closing enrollment at that time, although they never took the announcement off the website. I’ve heard nothing about having invited any trialists to pre-season.

Andrade, and maybe Mewis and Hinkle will play friendlies in Philly and Hartford on April 6 and 10.

2. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Britt is in camp. :)

3. WNYChelseaFan

WNYChelseaFan Member

Apr 5, 2014
    NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Flash Pre-season Roster:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Sabrina D’Angelo, Britt Eckerstrom
    DEFENDERS (6): Abby Dahlkemper, Abby Erceg, Jaelene Hinkle, Alanna Kennedy, Laura Liedle, Becca Moros, Courtney Niemiec
    MIDFIELDERS (7): Lady Andrade, Carolina Arias, Halimatu Ayinde, Elizabeth Eddy, Jeon Ga-Eul, Michaela Hahn, Samantha Mewis, Meredith Speck
    FORWARDS (11): Dana Costello, Makenzy Doniak, Kristen Hamilton, Taylor Leach, Adriana Leon, Jessica McDonald, Taylor Smith, Lynn Williams, Mallory Weber, Catherine Zimmerman

http://www.wnyflash.com/news/?article_id=359

CoachJon repped this.
  4. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    That forward list is a big indication of why they didn't move forward with Heyman. But with the defense problems Thorns had last season, its kind of worrying they are going with so few d/mf into preseason. Even with the break, Kennedy & Lady Andrade won't be available for all games. Hinkle and Mewis may be away some of the time for those planned US camps even if they don't make the final roster. I know some of those forwards can be placed into other positions such as wing but they're still mostly attacking minded players.

CoachJon repped this.
  5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A) Sam Mewis has a Blog on Soccer.com - Part 1 is up:
    http://www.soccer.com/guide/field-notes-from-puma-uswnt-midfielder-sam-mewis-part-1/

B) "new" names

Courtney Niemiec is not a new name per se - is from La Salle, is a Philly girl, and after being a trialist, she started 10 games for the Thorns in 2014 and Riley waived her after she played in 4 games in 2015.
    Carolina Arias is a Columbia WNT player with 40 +caps, and is listed as a defender on the FIFA WC site.
    Meredith Speck is from Yale , is a Long Island girl, and was in the 2015 Draft.
    Taylor Leach is from South Carolina, is an Ohio girl, is a buddy of D"Angelo, and kicked around with the Flash a little in 2015 - she was in the 2015 Draft.
    Taylor Smith is from UCLA, is a Texan, and was with the U23s in Croatia last week. She was in the 2016 Draft.
    Dana Costello is from Monmouth, is a Jersey Girl, broke a few of Pearce-Rampone's records, and was in the 2014 Draft.
    Catherine Zimmerman is from Providence, is a Jersey Girl, and was in the 2016 Draft

6. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Season ticket holders gotten any information on when individual game tickets go on sale? WNY seems one of the few teams that haven't released those yet.

7. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 CoachJon, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    I don't know, but suggest that the direct approach would be best: email or phone Kayla Kent - she's fantastic and friendly.
    E-mail: kayla.kent@wnyflash.com
    (716) 655-PLAY or (585) 271-5425

8. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I was shocked she went undrafted. I figured she must've planned to play in Europe or something. So it's surprising to see her on a NWSL pre-season roster. And even more surprising that it's WNY because of all the forwards they have (there's not just the 11 they have listed: Andrade, Eddy, and Gaeul can play forward too). She'd have a much easier time making the team and getting playing time with Boston, FCKC, SBFC, or Seattle. Heck, even with Portland or Orlando she'd have a shot at playing time when the USWNT and CanWNT are away.

9. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Was she friends with Dahlkemper at UCLA or through the youth teams? Maybe was looking overseas but didn't see it being worth the money in the end and Dahlkemper talked her into trying out with WNY.

10. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Well she would've known Dahlkemper and Mewis from UCLA and youth teams, and Naimo since she played with the Blues in 2014 (not sure how much Naimo is still involved with Riley in charge now...). And I don't know who on the UCLA team she had the best rapport with (Dahlkemper's bff is/was Dydasco, though). But could be a combination of all the aforementioned people. But she also would've known Rowland on FCKC and they need more forwards...

11. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to the scrimmage vs. WVU Saturday. :) I think that Buchanan and Lawrence will be there. Oh, boy - All these new Flash faces! ....and some new numbers on familiar faces...... OTOH, Jeon should not be hard to spot:
    [​IMG]

12. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Have fun at the game. And by the way, I reached to Kayla. She said April 1 for individual tickets.

CoachJon repped this.
  13. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flash - WVU 2016 odds &ends.
    Flash wore gray practice jerseys and black shorts

The numbers game.
    #13 – Abby Dahlkemper - #4 last year, #8 in college, 13 mushed together kinda looks like 8. Could this be her attempt at subliminally saying she is not just a centerback?

#4 Liz Eddy - #20 last year; I saw a #4 on WNY Instagram and Facebook pre-game, and was impressed by her athleticism, but did not identify #4 as Eddy until today.

#6 Erceg – no number listed on Web site pre-game.

#16 Andrade – it is her national team number - #21 last year and on Web site pre-game.

#5 Mewis – same as last year. She could have had her college number, 22, or pretty much any number she wanted – but she stayed with 5.

#15 Hinkle - unless I goofed this up.- she was #16 last year.​

Number, number, hoosgotta number.
    Option A number on shirt and shorts; Option B number on shirt but not shorts, Option C – no number.
    The returning players had option A, as did Erceg, McDonald, and Leon.
    Zimmerman, a trialist, also had option A - #12 shirt and shorts.
    The only Option B players I saw were #2, the Blond DM, and Eddy- #4 shirt, blank shorts and maybe Jeon with #7
    Doniak, the first draft pick, and everyone else had Option C – blank.​

It’s a family affair.

I think Joe Sahlen was there unless I was confused by another white haired, good- looking guy in a red Flash jacket. At the half, he was on the spectator’s side of the netting chatting with Aaran, who was in civilian clothes, and Alex, who was in Flash gear on the pitch inside the netting, along with son Max. It appeared that Aaran has stopped shaving his whole head, thank goodness.

holden repped this.
  14. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Eddy wore 4 with Pali (although she wore 8 with USC). So that's probably why she took it. Dahlkemper appears to have worn 13 with Adelaide this offseason (never saw her wear it before, she was 2 with Pali). Did she play elsewhere than CB with them?

Mewis seems to have abandoned 22, as she could've picked it up when the USWNT reshuffled their numbers earlier this year as well (Horan's wearing it now, but I don't think she's ever worn it before). But O'Hara wears 5, so Mewis couldn't take it. Though conversely, Mewis could've used 3 with WNY since Engen is gone.

15. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    outstanding player for ucla. but she began to look like a coach's problem last year in her senior year (got sent off for fighting in the north carolina game), and the whole team crumbled around her.

i don't think she has the drive or temperament to play the pro game.

will be surprised if she makes the team, but i hope she surprises me.

16. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what happens on the first day of spring in Buffalo. ...
    ........I guess the players don't get paid enough to put "you are not allowed to motorcycle, downhill ski, or climb on the roof" clauses in the contract.

[​IMG]

17. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    #17 LucyFearsTheMorningStar, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    Think this is what you are trying to put :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDN7OJqGdhM/?taken-by=wnyflash

CoachJon repped this.
  18. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup! thanks muchly.

19. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Who are those?

20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try this:

The Player and ... acknowledge and agree
    that the Player’s participation in other sports or
    activities may impair or destroy her ability and
    skill as a soccer player. Accordingly, the Player
    agrees that she will not engage in sports or
    activities which constitute a substantial danger
    to her health or safety (including but not limited
    to, American or Canadian football, boxing or
    wrestling, motorcycling, moped‐riding, auto
    racing, sky‐diving, in‐line skating, down‐hill snow
    skiing, mountain biking, bicycle racing,
    mountain/rock climbing and rappelling,
    spelunking and hang‐gliding); and that, except
    with the prior written consent of the Team and
    ..., she will not engage in any game or
    exhibition of basketball, football, baseball,
    hockey, lacrosse, beach soccer, futsal, indoor
    soccer or other organized athletic sport, under
    penalty of such fine and/or suspension as may
    be imposed by the Team and/or .... Nothing
    contained in this Agreement shall be intended
    to require the Player to obtain the written
    consent of the Team or ... in order to enable
    the Player to participate in, as an amateur, the
    sport of golf, tennis, handball, swimming, or
    hiking.

21. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guessing from the light fixture just visible at the bottom edge, those kids :p are about 6' above that, which puts them "only" 12'-14' up. Tell them "stop goofing around and clean out those gutters"

Childhood memory: when I was in grade school, one of the neighborhood houses was built into a slope on a hill, so its eaves were only about 5' off the ground in the backyard, but a full 25' (two stories + attic) off the ground facing the street.

And they raised Siberian huskies :) Every day at 15:20, the huskies knew to loll about on the rooftop, watching the schoolkids stream past the sidewalk far below, like ants. We'd look up at four husky heads looking down at us.

They never fell off :thumbsup:

Ob. awe: Once at a mvb tournament (only men's BB), we played in a small bb court with the main baskets swiveled up about 60° for storage, like giant pendulums. The gym had the cafeteria-standard wooden bleachers against the back wall, which when stored is a vertical wall like giant chest-of-drawers, about 9' high. We climbed up and sat on top, and looked up at the bb rim over our heads. Our short 5'10" MH (not MB), an aboriginal Japanese who was entirely fast-twitch, took the rim as a challenge, and for the only time ever, took a full running approach and huge double-armswing plant and jump, caught the rim, and hung from it. How high was he? After he had come down from his peak, and pulled the rim down at least 2" from his body weight, he held his shoes horizontal, and his heels were 50" off the ground. That's a few inches below his peak, because he first hit the rim with his palm.

The rest of the gym went all quiet :ROFLMAO:

CoachJon and cpthomas repped this.
  22. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A quick 30 minute preview of the Flash for you guys to enjoy.

And no, nobody actually flashed the camera. That shot was just showing off the WNY Flashers shirt.

CoachJon repped this.
  23. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think from the left it is Lynn Williams then Halimatu Ayinde, then I Don't Know [Third Base!], and maybe Sam Mewis on the right. It looks like someone maybe hiding to the right of Mewis.
    Or wasn't that your question?

Help!

24. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Not Mewis. I think it's Kristen Hamilton.

25. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saturday vs. WVU: . http://www.wnyflash.com/news/?article_id=360

WNYF - D’Angelo (Eckerstrom 67); Hinkle (Speck 62), Erceg (Leach 73), Dahlkemper (Neimeic 45), Eddy (Liedle 52); Ayinde (Hahn 45), Mewis (Weber 73), Jeon (Smith 67), Leon (Zimmerman 62); Williams (Hamilton 45), Doniak (Hahn 45)
    Substitutes Not Used: Carolina Arias, Dana Costello, Jess McDonald

This was helpful to me. Saturday, I guessed right about Leach, Niemiec, and Smith. It looks like Hahn was so good she subbed in for both Ayinde and Doniak. It was Andrade that came in for Jeon and so Smith came in for Doniak, Hahn for Ayinde.. And it looks like Moros was not there. In the video that BlueCrimson posted, the WNY Flsahers said that Hahn impressed them; so I think she was the blond #2 DM I liked.

.....it seems that someone that writes for the Flash blanks on Andrade - first she was left off of the pre-season roster tweet and now this......