2016 Pre-season Matches Thread (Incl. ICC)

Discussion in 'Paris Saint Germain' started by Dom. FC, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    PSG vs. West Bromwich Albion tomorrow morning (7-13, or 13-7 in Europe), 10:30 a.m. CDST beIN Sports USA:

http://www.livesoccertv.com/match/2001878/psg-vs-west-bromwich-albion/

Also in July on the 15th playing a Philippine UFL team "Nomads" w/o television and ICC matches on the 24th, 27th, and 30th playing Inter, Real Madrid, and Leicester as defending ICC Champions iirc (all televised on ESPN or ESPN2):

http://www.livesoccertv.com/teams/france/psg/

Then in August the League One season begins on the 12th away to Bastia

2. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'm really looking forward to the start of preseason after France's loss in the final. Nothing like club football to help alleviate the pain. ;)

Can't wait to see the new players and the non-internationals! It'll be so strange seeing HBA in a PSG jersey, but definitely the good kind of strange.

3. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    #3 Dom. FC, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    Who knows with the change in manager but if Cavani is slotted into center forward he has got to do more than he did for Uruguay in the Copa America or else they need an 'emergency' transfer of someone that can do it. All I would ask is that he finishes one out of every three chances -- I don't think that is setting the bar too high -- but sometimes his shots make it look too low. ;>)

The Euro final was an injustice and CR7 pretty much did nothing in the match and then acted like he had personally won it from the sidelines -- if they do try to upgrade from Cavani please make it anyone (good/great) but him.

Pandore repped this.
  4. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The friendly might be cancelled due to the weather.

I mean, it's a preseason friendly, but I'm having TS withdrawals. And I'm so excited to see Ben Arfa and Krychowiak (I feel so proud for being able to correctly spell his name :D).

That is what scares me; he's been underwhelming for us AND for his country. This is his time to step up to the plate.

:cry:

5. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Here's Emery's first starting lineup for us:

Trapp - Sabaly, Kimpembe, David Luiz, Kurzawa - Stambouli, Callegari - Pereira de Sa, Ben Arfa, Ikoné - Edouard

6. nexus11313

nexus11313 Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has the club released the pre-season roster that's traveling to the US? I have tickets to see the Real match and was curious how many of the regulars I might get to see.

7. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I don't believe they have announced anything but when they do in addition to social media you may find it here:

http://www.psg.fr/en/Accueil/0/Home

8. RMCFkevin

RMCFkevin Member+

Nov 20, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Heading to the match in Columbus next, anyone on here going please let me know so we can meet up! Excited to see Luiz, Trapp, and Ben Arfa

Pandore repped this.
  9. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Re my post above yours, the PSG web site now has the traveling squad listed - (doesn't mean they'll all be dressed for each match):

http://www.psg.fr/en/News/003001/Article/76261/Le-groupe-parisien

Squad:
    AURIER Serge
    AREOLA Alphonse
    BEN ARFA Hatem
    CALLEGARI Lorenzo
    CAVANI Edinson
    DAVID LUIZ
    DESCAMPS Rémy
    DI MARIA Angel
    EDOUARD Odsonne
    GEORGEN Alec
    IKONE Nanitamo Jonathan
    KIMPEMBE Presnel
    KRYCHOWIAK Grzegorz
    KURZAWA Layvin
    LUCAS
    MAXWELL
    MEUNIER Thomas
    NKUNKU Christopher
    PASTORE Javier
    RABIOT Adrien
    STAMBOULI Benjamin
    THIAGO MOTTA
    THIAGO SILVA
    TRAPP Kevin
    VERRATTI Marco

Note that Thiago Motta and Grzegorz Krychowiak will join the squad on 25 July.

Best news may be that no one is listed out with injury -- now keep it that way for a while, at least through the North American tour?

10. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    #10 Dom. FC, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    If you are setting a DVR it seems like the match with Inter will go straight to penalty kicks if they are drawn at the end of regulation time, I'm basing that on what they apparently did in the Melbourne v. Juventus match.

11. RMCFkevin

RMCFkevin Member+

Nov 20, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow! That's a great squad... pretty much all of the stars there... Veratti, Luiz, Pastore, Di Maria, Ben Arfa, Silva, Cavani! Awesome!

Does anyone by chance know where the team is staying/training at in Columbus? Would like to try and get a signature of Di Maria. Plus would be cool to see the lads up close!

12. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    http://www.livesoccertv.com/match/1952618/real-madrid-vs-psg/

The first of three matches tomorrow night so less likely to clip off the intro, lineups, and first few minutes of play like they did for the Inter match. Could be fairly hot in Columbus that early in the evening but I'm sure there will be water breaks along with 6 subs allowed (assuming the second part).

13. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    70k + fans, an all-time record for attendance of a soccer match in Columbus, Ohio. And really glad they didn't clip off the first couple minutes like they did for their last ICC match! ;>)

RMCFkevin repped this.
  14. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good showing last night, apart from losing Thiago Silva in the first ten minutes. I think Real aren't as far along in their preseason, but it's still a nice result, even if two of the three goals were pretty ugly. I was impressed by the way the squad moved the ball around and broke Real's press with regularity.

15. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Nice to get the win but outside of the context of the ICC sort of meaningless, they said RM made 11 changes at the half so you're watching them against a good 2nd division Spanish squad. Paris did sub liberally as well but it was more top-shelf guys I thought along with some youth along for the seasoning.
    Take away for me was Cavani gonna Cavani, I've seen guys that 'snake-bit' for their National team even though they are scoring for their club ... but he 'achieves' both despite ample chances -- seems to be picking up right where he left off at the Copa America -- sports psychologist needed, apply within.

16. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ugh TS. How bad was it? The game was on too late for me to watch

17. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was an impact injury, which is a good thing I guess? He fouled an attacker when he clattered knees with them. With this medical staff, you never know, but I would guess it's a bruise and the sub was more precautionary.

Pandore repped this.
  18. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Thanks! I hope so

19. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    What I thought when I saw it as well. Find out next match I guess?

20. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Which city in Austria is the trophée des champions against Lyon? I might go if I have time

21. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    No Silva, Luiz in though.

22. RMCFkevin

RMCFkevin Member+

Nov 20, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #22 RMCFkevin, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    Bonjour Parisiens!!!

Was at the match last Wednesday in Columbus, hope you don't mind if I share my thoughts... This will have some Real Madrid bias/emphasis to it of course. So I have colored my comments that might be of interest to PSG supporters

I got into soccer with FIFA 2003. The very first match I played was between Real Madrid/PSG.... when I saw they were playing practically in my backyard I HAD to go... better yet was offered front row tickets (friend is season ticket holder so I had first dibs on tickets).... a great lesson I've learned is, when you have an opportunity.... SHUT UP AND TAKE IT! So I did! (warning long read)

Got in Tuesday afternoon to Columbus, had an inside source say Real Madrid was practicing at Crew Stadium. I was like the first of 5 people there. Police cars were circling the lot, security was a bit much, and a lot of the employees at the stadium were anxious. Got out of the car talked a with a handful of Madrid fans whom were there saying the team just posted across social media they are getting ready to practice at Crew Stadium. This is before the team arrived, and right after they posted they were practicing there.

A few people go up to the entrance of the stadium and come back almost in tears (looking like as if someone gave them a death threat) saying they won't let anyone in. I was surprised seeing as they had a public practice in Montreal. I go up to the entrance and several security staff approached me asking if I could be helped, I said.... yeah... where can I catch lightning in a bottle (was meant as a joke but they were COMPLETELY UPSET by this remark). Was trying to lift the moods of these people whom looked like they had never been laid before, their lives were complete failures, and have nothing to live for.

Anyways this fat lady starts swearing say... I can have the police make you leave.... I was like "why" she remarked "youre an @$$hole" then her dedicated coworker (his name later became captain asshole) eventually pushed me while I was listening to what this fat lady was preaching. Seconds later a sign of life appeared! A police officer, yes he was polite and actually told me what was going on and why we had to leave....Said the team requested to have the stadium closed off and not have people within a certain area etc... ok no problem I get it. Why couldn't this have been said sooner?

He was really nice but it went to the level where he followed me in my car off the premises for a solid few blocks beyond the stadium... Idk what but that was over the top crazy. I later heard from a few people they closed down a nearby shopping area by the stadium so I guess they didn't let any traffic around the stadium whatsoever. Tried the Real Madrid team hotel (the Meridian) which was mobbed! Wanted to have Zizou sign my ball and get some photos with the guys. Waited for a solid hour for the team to show up. Talked to a bunch of fans and even met a few journalists/team media!

The player bus pulled up and it was that moment I realized was about to see REAL F**KING MADRID!!! Yes the team that won the Champions League this year, the team that plays tons of miles away from me that I follow on TV/internet/etc. As I watched the bus pull in cameras were flashing left and right off the tinted windows, repeated chants of "Asi, Asi, Asi gana El Madrid!" That was the moment!!! The players walked right off the bus into the hotel. No surprise since one of the staff said the players are instructed (by the team head of security) to not stop for autographs sometimes the night before a match. Many of the players acknowledged the crowd with a wave or thumbs up, was cool to see them still! No worries... ;) Zidane signed autographs for 1-2 minutes. I also managed to see Florentino Perez walk by and Butragueno! That was pretty awesome!!!! Apparently Florentino gave a homeless person $100, cool to see. I hear he went to a local restaurant... I wanted to see if I could get a photo but didn't want to bother him

Now the match! What a great time! I had NEVER in my life see so many Real Madrid (or PSG) shirts in my life.... it was literally so awesome I cannot explain! Even on matchday walking around the city saying to people I didn't know wearing a shirt with "Fly Emirates" on the front I said "Hala Madrid" and got one back! Was the coolest thing! Everyone knew about the team's history, even saw a kid wearing a Di Stefano shirt. It was great seeing a walk through history with all of the Real Madrid kits... ah yes those 06-07 ones w/ "Benq Siemens" on the front, 11-12 red ones, 13-14 black dragons, amongst a few even with "Teka" on the front. All of the names... Ronaldo, Figo, Zidane, Casillas, Raul, Beckham, Guti, even saw a Gravesen kit (bleh.... lol!) Guy looked like he was a pro UFC fighter though haha! Of course no shortage of Ronaldo, Bale, Benz, James, etc

There were A LOT more PSG fans there than expected! Saw a handful in the City even. All of the people there for the soccer match were all around the stadium. I would say the spilt was close to even in terms of the Real Madrid/PSG fans in attendance. Had a chance to talk to a ton of PSG fans before the match. 98% of those I spoke with became fans of the club at some point when Zlatan joined which is great! I'm very glad to see someone NOT in England get so much support. We need more clubs outside of England to get backed by owners with big pockets. I really enjoyed talking with a PSG fan group that was there from Montreal. Talked with a few members of the group, ALL OF THEM were able to talk with me about the teams ups and downs since 2003.

Always followed PSG somewhat closely given my FIFA connection. SO we were able to talk about the team's near relegation in 2008, the team's "signing of the century" (and one season wonder) Guillaume Hoarau, Beckham, and just converse about all of the names that went through club.... mostly Sessegnon, Rothen, Coupet, Makelele, Pauletta, Luyindula, Nene... etc. This was a treat... sharing their thoughts:

- A lot of the PSG supporters are happy Zlatan is gone. They appreciate all he did but think the team needs will do better without his ego. They also said his "walking and shouting" in Champions League matches won't be missed.
    - They seem to think Ben Arfa/Cavani will be an adequate replacement and be great together. Personally not convinced by either, great year at Nancy for Ben Arfa. This will be a big step up for him.
    - The team this year should have no problem winning league 1, will be knocked out before the semis.
    - Many like the new coach Unai Emery. We all agreed Blanc should have been gone long before.... still can't believe his surprise tactical change in the UCL Quarter 2nd leg. Terrible performance that was.
    - I was impressed they all knew about other teams in Ligue 1 was great to talk about! Obviously they didn't mention OM, they get angry thinking about them. Saw 1 Ligue 1 jersey there for the following teams: 1 Toulouse FC, 1 Lyon, 1 OM
    - The only point they didn't agree with me on was Kevin Gameiro. Many didn't like the signing at the club, I liked him a lot (Yes I played too much FIFA) plus he has a great first name haha!

Great conversations those were!

So first time seeing Real Madrid or PSG sitting in the front row pretty much dead center of the midfield... was about as awesome as it gets! Its really not that different than if you actually are playing an actual match yourself. You hear players talking, hear the sliding challenges, thump of the ball as its kicked, the unique tapping sound of the ball hitting a players cleat... its as real as it gets! TBH I wasn't that impressed with how much quicker or better some of the players are (except Di Maria and a handful of other PSG players). Shame Silva got hurt. Wanted to see more of him

One of the best things about going to a match like this.... TOTALLY different crowd than a NBA/NHL/MLB crowd. EVERYONE is there, they KNOW every single one of the players, focus on watching the match, and are engaged in the match (opposed to eating, talking on phones, etc). Whenever a certain player was in possession of the ball everyone around you shouts his name. If the player screws up, everyone gets on him, its just different (in a good way). Can't imagine what its like in an actual match in Europe that means something. I had a GRAND time, everyone around me I talked soccer with while the match was going on (how long have you followed the team, whats your FIFA gametag, remember when... etc). It was pretty awesome felt like I was some kind of soccer pundit and people kept asking my opinions on this player, team, tactics, etc... absolutely enjoyed it!!!

The red PSG kits are AWESOME!!! I was happy to see PSG played pretty much their best side. Would have liked to have seen Luiz and Veratti play. Was a pretty good side apart from those few! Really like Kiempembe... he's a rock solid CB. Rabiot has potential to be a midfield boss. Cracking goal from Meunier. Was great for Belgium at the EUROs.

I was disappointed Real Madrid did NOTHING to further promote the team or do things for the fans. Many supporters I spoke with invested a lot of time and hard earned $$$ driving/flying in from major distances to see the team. In Montreal there was public practice, nothing in Columbus. PSG didn't have a public practice either arriving the night before the match close to midnight in a secret entrance to the hotel they were staying at. BUT STILL, they had a stand giving out free things to fans (pens, candy, flags) you could even get your picture with the mascot and all 4 trophies they won this year! WTF did Real Madrid do???? Show up, act like someone made a bomb threat to their training ground, and SUCK in a match. F**K all.... what a joke. Nice job by PSG to take advantage and grow their fan base.

OVERALL awesome time! The match had plenty of action for neutrals (too much in the first half if you get what I mean) lol, and the stadium was rocking in the 2nd half. My favorite moment was seeing Marcelo score... idk just something you dream of seeing your team score a goal live in person!!! After went out and partied with a bunch of locals hehe fun time :D:D:D Got home 5AM Thursday morning (live 2 hours driving distance) haha.

PS_ Totally random fact, I have a friend in France, we met via social media online she isnt into football like us but she likes PSG/Lyon (lives in Lyon, always liked PSG growing up)

Ive been asked via PM if Iam "k13lock" on Youtube yes that is me... here is my video from the match (don't want to come across as spam or anything, feel free to take down if necessary. Hope its enjoyed!)

If you made it this far, thank you for investing your ears hope you enjoyed my experience :D

Dom. FC repped this.
  23. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
  24. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    On beIN Sports' The Express pre-match for the Super Cup they mentioned in passing the winning of the ICC "today", I assume that was due to someone else's results or lack of same.