2016 Olympic Qualifying Team

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree completely with your tactics here. Don't get blown out on the road and win it on the home leg.

2. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting! Do you have any guesses on the starting 11 for your squad? Or maybe who you think should start? Many thanks again.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I know the question was not asked of me however...

...No one has any idea.

I don't even think the manager knows.

If I had to guess the base of the squad will be the same as the one that won the November Friendly tournament in Asia.

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #3029 HomietheClown, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    If Colombia were able to bring their very best you would see players like Andres Renteria who has played very well in Mexico, Juan Fernando Quintero (the guy who scored a winning goal in the World Cup against Ivory coast), Jefferson Lerma who starts for Levante of Spain, and other players that praxis mentioned and the MLS article mentioned.

5. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3030 Tom Collingsworth, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    solid lineup, only things I'd probably change is to start Vincent at left back over Miller and find a spot for Rubin in the front 3 if he's fit.

and I could be wrong, but I think there is a decent chance Miazga gets released for this given his likely place down the depth chart at Chelsea. Not having the likes of Horvath, Hyndman, Payne available seems like a real possibility though, given their status as regulars in their squads 18. But as of now I will assume they're released for this.

Morris-----------Rubin*----------Kiesewetter
    ---------------------Pulisic*--------------------------
    ----------Acosta-------------Trapp--------------
    Vincent----Parker---Miazga*------Payne*
    --------------------Horvath*-----------------------

*replace Rubin with Shelton, Pulisic with Gil, Miazga with Zimmerman, Payne with Miller and Horvath with Steffen if the Euro regulars aren't released by their clubs.

Namdynamo and USAMEX10 repped this.
  6. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    yeah vincent looked decent and composed vs canada

USAMEX10 and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    With Zouma now out for 6 months, Miazga actually isn't that far down Chelsea's depth chart. That injury made his release for the youth team less likely. Its still possible. It could mean that Miazga will be with the senior team in Guatemala, as Chelsea has to release him for that....................................

The fact that we just saw Acosta start over Vincent twice at camp cupcake, with Herzog on staff, makes me think we're likely to see him start there against Colombia. I don't know if that's the right decision, but its what looks to be happening.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I retract this statement.

If Hiddink doesn't even want to risk putting Miazga on the bench this season (as the Standard is reporting), then I don't see any reason why shouldn't be available for Olympic qualifying. He won't be particularly match fit, but that's another problem altogether.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Higuita has been called in for the Friendlies coming up so I stand corrected. He has chance to make the squad. :D

10. Edison hernandez

Edison hernandez New Member

Feb 2, 2016
    HOUSTON
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Any idea where to find tickets for that game in barranquilla?

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I have no clue.

I recommend you ask in the Columbian forum. There's a lot of Junior fans who have connections to Barranquilla who can probably guide you the right way.

12. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Of course Acosta spent all camp training at RB...

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Effing Klinnsman!!!! :)

If we can get Payne released from Groningen, then he can fill in at one of the fullback spots as well.

14. StrikerX4

StrikerX4 Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Lawrence, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Acosta at RB and Vincent at LB could work.

I'd personally prefer Acosta and Trapp in MF with Yedlin and Vincent as the backs (or Payne, but never seen him play). Think this is less likely though.

15. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Payne is very very good.. I would have him starting ahead of even Yedlin. And Vincent at LB too. So it could be possible to have Acosta as CM where he is a beast

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yedlin's presumably going to be with the senior team anyway.

Acosta, Vincent, and Payne would seem to be the choices at fullback....................if we can secure the release of Payne. If not, we'd probably go with Eric Miller.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm going to give you guys a name that I don't think has been discussed yet who I think will end up making the team. Jordan McCrary. He's likely to be the starting right-back for NE this season, and I've liked what I've seen of him in pre-season. He might end up being the best pick of the 2016 draft.

18. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I'd hope not. I think every u23 eligible player should be in Colombia (unless club issues). Yedlin is replaceable and not really needed with the full team. If we would have just done this in October, we wouldn't be worried about this. The Olympics matter in the US and would be a great opportunity for this strong generation of players.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think what is making all of this hard to figure out is that Euro clubs don't have to release players to youth national teams.
    And it hurts both teams really.

So really good players who are u23 will probably be on the WCQing rosters for both squads and not called up for Olympic qualifiers.

And something that is affecting Colombia's preparations is the Copa Libertadores. Really good young players on Santa Fe, Deportivo Cali and Atletico Nacional are not able to participate in the February friendlies against Honduras so those kids more than likely won't make the squad or have any impact one would imagine.

So many variables and factors to consider.

Winoman repped this.
  20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Could the coaches of the full national teams, Klinsmann and Pekerman, approach the club coaches of their U-23 players and 1) ask each coach to release a player for the U-23 matches (voluntarily); 2) given the unstated but understood context that the same player would have to be released if called by the full national team (WCQ, FIFA dates, not voluntary). I know it's not that simple, because national team coaches have to build and maintain good relationships with their players' club coaches, but club coaches naturally tend to resist call-ups, and these U23 matches are not meaningless friendlies.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I believe negotiations do happen like this. And depending on the club and how important the player is to the squad there's some compromises. But it is on a case- by- case basis depending on the team and managers.

22. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The coaches will ask and depending on the circumstances the clubs may agree but they don't have to. As an example; Brooks (Herta), Green (Bayern II), Kiesewetter (Stutgart II), CCV (Spurs U21), Zalalem (Rangers) were all released for the v Brazil friendlies. The youth team members are usually an easier case and Brooks needed match time to get fit from a knock.

Will Herta release Brooks for the U23 matches in March? Not likely, he is back as a lock starter and they just signed him to an extension and a big raise (>E1.5MM per).

23. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Not to mention that they are in a close race for the final two CL spots.

24. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but they will release him for the WCQs. They have to because it is a FIFA data. They also don't have to answer questions from the club stakeholders and fans if they released him for a youth match and god forbid he gets hurt!

25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    My point was that, as I understand the rules, Herta would have to release Brooks to play for the MNT v Guatemala. The two late March dates are official FIFA dates, not oddball friendly dates. So while I'm sure we could not call Brooks for Guatemala and play him v Colombia, the fact that we could call him up for the MNT might provide some leverage in negotiating his call-up for the U23s.