2016 NWSL Playoffs - Washington Spirit vs. Chicago Red Stars

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by MRAD12, Sep 26, 2016.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Friday Sept. 30 at 8 p.m. ET.

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I have a ticket to the game, but I don't know if I'll ultimately head up to the 'plex or not.... One of my friends told me on Saturday to keep this coming Friday or Saturday evening open, (I didn't mention I had the ticket,) and with how the last day of the regular season panned out, I honestly don't know which team I'd be cheering for if I was there in person anyway.

I will say, though, that whichever team wins this SF, I will be cheering for them to win the final. WNY already has one trophy and POR two, so one of these two teams needs to win the championship. (I would've loved it even more if DC hadn't choked on the Shield, so then CHI could go ahead for the championship without leaving anyone trophy-less. Generic POR fans are going to be insufferable as it already is with that second trophy.)

sitruc repped this.
  3. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll definitely be at the game. Just hoping for a good one! Funny that they JUST played.

4. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that I would like to see one of these 2 teams win the championship.
    I don't have confidence that the Spirit can get it down.
    The Red Stars seem to me the favored team to win their next 2 matches.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Rain is expected on and off from now all the way through Saturday afternoon here in the DC area. Even if it's officially a sellout, (i.e. all seats sold,) I bet the stands won't be full when gametime itself actually rolls around. I'm thinking that sales haven't been as strong as hoped, though, since I've gotten an e-mail every day for the past eight or so days encouraging people to buy tickets.

At least it's just showers predicted, i.e. no storms, so hopefully there won't be any lightning delays even if it does rain for the game.

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Good articles, but minor pet peeve:
    If you're gonna share bare URLs, please clean them up... X-D

7. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    My bet: Chicago wins. Huerta is on a bit of a roll -- and Washington won't be able to handle both her and Press if both of them are confident -- and they should be for this game.

Moreover Chicago is better offensively on the flanks with Gilliland and Short.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    In today's e-mail from the Spirit...

Despite the forecast edging further away from the possibility of storms, it seems ticket sale are still low:
    First quote tells me they're not at 4k yet. Second quote doesn't even mention how GA tickets are going, so I'd expect at least 1/4 of capacity is still available (i.e. about half of the GA section).

They also reminded people that, since it's a playoff game, there might be extra time or "kick from the mark" (I have no clue why they decided to use that instead of the more common "penalty kicks" or "shootout"). If it goes to KFTM, they've said they will (smartly) use the goal at Spirit Hill and not the goal at the scoreboard.

9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Penalty kick is incorrect, as there is no penalty involved.

Shootout sounds like Hockey, and does not occur in FIFA literature.

KFTM is the correct nomenclature. And it is correctly plural.

10. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fringe benefit of the FIFA WWC-17 kicking off in Jordan this morning: a free promo code good for 1 month of FS2Go! :thumbsup: Subscribe or resubscribe with code "U17WNT", and you get NWSL playoffs! (Oh, and some other matches too, I guess.)

11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Where is everyone??

12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm here!

CoachJon and Blaze20 repped this.
  13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Washington with the better of the chances...now having their 4th corner of the game.

15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off the post from Dunn! Close!

16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Far side stands don't look full, unless everyone is getting hot dogs.

17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    36': goal from Krieger!

18. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    36' 1-0 Nairn left ck, to 7m center, Johnston heads it away through box top right. Huster collects, backpass. Zadorsky unmarked in space at 27m box right, crosses inswinging to 6m 1/6 left. Krieger front-cuts DiBernardo, arrives turning away like Allie Long, back-heads a rocket into back left high.

19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The wind may be a significant factor in the match:

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ellis jots in her notebook " look into Spirit outside back. she scored a goal"

21. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Halftime: Washington up 1-0. Chicago might have gotten away with handling in the box right before halftime.

22. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HT 1-0 The mikes are live, and we hear Jenn and Kyndra doing a mike check :laugh:

lil_one repped this.
  23. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Washington dominating.....both teams focus on the near side of the field, which has been the right flank for Washington going forward, the left flank for Chicago. Maybe the wind keeps them from switching fields.

Did Chicago even get a shot off in the first half?

An uncalled handball in the box by Huerta -- but, frankly, I don't think a handball such as that should be called unless the arm is extended and it's more deliberate than accidental. I feel the same way about a foul in the box. It should be flagrant if called.

I suspect the second half will be different.