2016 New York Cosmos match thread.

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by nanoGVSP, Mar 27, 2016.

1. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Who bought the turf in the field for that game if not the Cosmos? <- Serious question

2. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duk is the real deal. I'm looking forward to seeing his run of play in the Copa America with Bolivia. He was the Man of the Match and got a trophy from Raul after the game. Let's just hope The Miami FC doesn't try and poach him too.

Duk Named to Bolivia Roster for Copa America
    The 28-year-old will join his country for the 100th edition of the prestigious tournament.

http://www.nycosmos.com/news/2016/05/23/duk-named-to-bolivia-roster-for-copa-america

oneeyedfool repped this.
  3. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cosmos Defeat Eibar on Penalties in Friendly
    Yasmani Duk nets a brace, and David Diosa scores the shootout winner.

Ninety minutes weren’t enough to separate the New York Cosmos from La Liga club SD Eibar Wednesday night at Sam Boyd Stadium. So this international friendly went straight to a penalty shootout, and the Cosmos prevailed.

“We certainly enjoyed playing this friendly match against Eibar,” said Cosmos Head Coach Giovanni Savarese. “Both teams tried to play an open match and that allowed space to be creative. La Liga is one of the most competitive leagues in the world and exposing our players to this kind of opponent was a great experience for them.”

http://www.nycosmos.com/news/2016/05/25/cosmos-defeat-eibar-on-penalties-in-friendly

4. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    OKC gave the Cosmos all they could handle last night. We got lucky to come away with three points. That red to Michel was a bit suspect. The game was very physical, the OKC guys are about twice the size of the Cosmos players, but the speed and skill made up for that. Ayoze was impenetrable against Samaras, who looked overmatched. At the end things got close to an all out brawl but cooler heads prevailed. Just luck to come away with the win. I believe if Cosmos beat the Strikers next week they can clinch the spring.

Sam U El repped this.
  5. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    I am a Cosmos fan, I have been since summer 1980, but it seems like Rayo got robbed

nanoGVSP repped this.
  6. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It would have been a completely different game had it stayed 11 V11. OKC might have took some points or a point. To be fair they did loose their cool as a team, they just fell into that victim role with the reff and started to argue and pick fights with the Cosmos, who were too happy to entice them into it because they made the OKC players look like the aggressors. This could have been a tie or a loss, Cosmos had some "street smats" and manipulated the situation.

Sam U El and brentgoulet repped this.
  7. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    I totally agree, the last call was correct though, Futty Danso came back from an offside position

8. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say that. I feel we dominated the game even before they went down a man. The only challenge was going to be scoring against such a phyiscally larger team, since putting in crosses was going to be hard. We should have won 3-0 IMO.

Sam U El repped this.
  9. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Not the result wae want to see :(

Sam U El repped this.
  10. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

We start the fall season with 3 points, plenty of guys getting a starting nod after having sat for a good amount during the spring. Glad to see Lucky score, and Holt get some minutes.

11. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lot of 'fringe' players starting, happy for the win, good to see some of our depth get a run.

brentgoulet repped this.
  12. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Entertaining game. Fortunate to get the 3 points. Just as I was settling on a tie (or waiting for the Mos to give up a goal in 90'), I see an Olympic goal. The Miami team was 100% better than the team we faced in the spring season; and again the Miami keeper should be pissed at the defense. It was nice to be on the other side of a "defense blew the game at the last minute!"

Other thoughts:
    We only have to face Poku one more time. Flores needs more minutes. More squad rotation? Calvillo and Velela on the starting bench?! Lucky ATM -->

Sam U El and brentgoulet repped this.
  13. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just had to get the 3 points didn't you? :(

14. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    First Cosmos game ever on a NEXXFIELD :eek:

Bklyn Royals Fan and Sam U El repped this.
  15. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek: indeed... Rayo efficient with their possession. Surprised Lucky, Flores or Diosa didn't get starts, this is understandable if there is a game on Wednesday, but our next game is on Saturday. Ockford with an dumb penalty giveaway. It was nice to see Samaras get a goal for Rayo; if we play like that in Tampa, Adu will score on us too in 90'+o_O

nanoGVSP and brentgoulet repped this.
  16. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Possibly the worst game of the year by the Cosmos, absolutely no clear chances, defensively fell apart. Arango is not nearly as much of an impact player as I expected. I would have liked to see Flores, what is the deal with the lineup change again? I thought Diosa, Lucky, and Flores where doing just fine. Hope we can straighten things out for this weekend.

17. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UGLY GAME! I guess the poor refs next assignment will be an ASL game. ;)

With most of the calls in our favor, we should have been able to secure the 3 pts, yet our defense game up points again.

I can't believe Ockford gave away another penalty towards the end of the game. :mad:

Holt was not tested enough in the beginning, I don't think he did well enough to secure his place as the backup keeper. Don't know why Maurer didn't get the start and when did Zobeck become the 3rd keeper?

nanoGVSP repped this.
  18. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    #68 nanoGVSP, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Agreed.. Cosmos got some key calls in their favor, yet still manage to give up 2 in the final minutes of the game. Gio had spoken about this during the week, having the ability to close out games. I don't think Okford is the answer for our CB. Roversio is probably done after this year and Mendes is starting to show signs of aging. We we'll need to sign another very good CB for next year for sure.
    Not sure why Maurer didn't play , but I don't think Holt did such a bad job, there wasn't much he could have done about both goal, maybe the first one but a penalty is tough.
    The one bright spot is the fact that Arango scored and Duk did too, hope those two can get it going. With Duk healthy we have a good target fwd.
    Now let's see if we can take 3 in Edmonton to keep up with Indy.

brentgoulet repped this.
  19. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Excellent player, but injured 75% of the games :(

Bklyn Royals Fan and bnyc repped this.
  20. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    The longest trip of the year is for a mid-week game in Alberta; I fully expect the older guys, Arrango, Mendes, Freeman, Moffat, etc. will not even travel and rightfully so. Glad to see that Mulligan is back and that guys like Diosa, Ochieng, and Duk are getting minutes but we still another player. Have recent green cards opened up an international slot for the team?

21. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard Roversio may only be signed through July. We may have seen him play his last game as a Cosmos player.

Bringing Samuel Caceras back may be an option since he dates a local girl.

22. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, and Lucky with Duk's assist, he is continuing to fight for a a 1st team starting position.

nanoGVSP repped this.
  23. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don't think any more spots opened up as of late. If Roversio is done, that would be a spot. At this point I don't see Cosmos investing more in the roster this season, hope I'm wrong.
    I don't think Caceres can come in to fill Roversio's spot, we need more experience back there.

24. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mulligan had a decent start, Lucky and Duk with missed chances in goal.

Edmonton pressed in the 2nd half was rewarded for it. I thought the Cosmos started wasting time too early in the game. The Cardiac Cosmos need a new moniker. Perhaps the 'Conceding Cosmos' or the 'Capitulation Cosmos'. :(

Hopefully we can turn this around on Saturday.

brentgoulet repped this.
  25. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    One thing I thought Saverese did very well in past years was rotate the squad and the two championships and Open Cup wins against MLS teams are a strong record; so why did he play older players in a mid-week game in Edmonton? There's a long way to go, so still time to do this, but can anyone expect to see fresh legs on those guys this weekend? It's long season and tired legs will happen but why put an extra burden on older players?

If I'm PR I'm running at the Cosmos from the opening whistle and looking forward to 80th minute when Cosmos' defensive problem suddenly appears each week.

brentgoulet repped this.